• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Blood test - what to get tested?

jj80

Thought I'd visit the doc in the uni holidays to make sure all my blood levels were ok. I want to get tested for T-levels and other hormonal levels, just see how they're going.

What should I ask for?
LH
Oestradiol
SHBG
Free testo

Any others? I got a good doc who'll send me for a test if I ask for it.

Without going into details I was on drugs when I was younger which are known to affect your hormonal system. I've never checked to see if mine was fine after.

Yes, explain your health concerns to the doc and insist into a hormonal profile. They won't usually do it unless there's a need so just tell him i need them to be done i want to check up on everything.
PS: include thyroid hormones and liver enzymes also in the test.

Yes, explain your health concerns to the doc and insist into a hormonal profile. They won't usually do it unless there's a need so just tell him i need them to be done i want to check up on everything.
PS: include thyroid hormones and liver enzymes also in the test.

Just tell them there is a family history of prostate problems

Just tell them there is a family history of prostate problems
lol I'm guessing you're taking the piss Lexy (wait till Joey Joe gets back in, he'll post another protest pic :D).

My Father has no history or symptoms of Prostate troubles but he's in that age bracket, so Doctor gets him to do a PSA test which comes back all good. Doctor still not convinced so sends him to do a whole days worth of tests and scans, they come back all good. Doctor still not convinced has him now lined up for a prostate biopsy (a big prick up the arse).

Apparently its a bit of a rort, Doctors doing a lot of these tests on referrals, must be kickbacks or something. Thinking the last thing you wanna tell your Doc is your having Prostate troubles.

I've takin Julia Gillard's boyfriend's advise (you know that gay hairdresser dude lol). I've got a small Asain female Doctor lined up for any upcoming Prostate exams ;)

@L.P.S; no not taking the piss (though [MENTION=10878]jj80[/MENTION]; may want to beware the white gloves :D )
My oldman died from prostrate cancer just after xmas.
More like from the tertiaries etc (pretty well spread through his upper body) plus being a smoker for 30 years didn't help him.
Too much sitting on his arse as an office worker and never lifting

I wouldn't have a prostate biopsy unless were having major problems as they can cause problems themselves including infection/erectile disfunction
Prostate biopsy can cause urinary, erectile problems | Reuters
Prostate Biopsy Procedure, Effects, Uses, Complications, and More

Always ask the Dr if they'd have the treatment/surgery themselves

@L.P.S; no not taking the piss (though @jj80; may want to beware the white gloves :D )
My oldman died from prostrate cancer just after xmas.
More like from the tertiaries etc (pretty well spread through his upper body) plus being a smoker for 30 years didn't help him.
Too much sitting on his arse as an office worker and never lifting

I wouldn't have a prostate biopsy unless were having major problems as they can cause problems themselves including infection/erectile disfunction
Prostate biopsy can cause urinary, erectile problems | Reuters
Prostate Biopsy Procedure, Effects, Uses, Complications, and More

Always ask the Dr if they'd have the treatment/surgery themselves
cheers Lex, words of wisdom, thanks for the tips - I'll pass that on. My old man sounds like yours - smoker most of his life, sitting on his arse as an office worker for 30 years as well, only lifted in his youth. Sorry to hear about your oldman.

Last edited:
He made it worse by not following doctors advice especially on diet and basically sat around doing stuff all after he retired.

If your oldmans psa is at normal levels , he's healthy and he's not having any trouble having a piss, why go any further with it ?

He made it worse by not following doctors advice especially on diet and basically sat around doing stuff all after he retired.

If your oldmans psa is at normal levels , he's healthy and he's not having any trouble having a piss, why go any further with it ?
My oldman has never really lived healthy. He does sit around all day now watching Foxtel, really always has. He said he was told that PSA tests are now considered unreliable. He's also heard that once you get sent to a Uroligist they usually want to operate, just for the money :eek:

People around him seem to think the Doctor is going to far with all these tests and is just doing it for the money.

My oldman has never really lived healthy. He does sit around all day now watching Foxtel, really always has. He said he was told that PSA tests are now considered unreliable. He's also heard that once you get sent to a Uroligist they usually want to operate, just for the money :eek:

People around him seem to think the Doctor is going to far with all tests and just doing it for the money.

Thats what it sounds like and once the doctors start playing with things down there it never stops and never works the same again.

Both my old man and his business partner got prostate cancer.
My oldman had radiation treatment and chemo, his partner surgery.
Oldman didn't get any problems with incontinence or other stuff, where as his business partner did (incontinence and not capable of erections supposedly) but the surgery was more effective longterm - no reoccurance.

What got my oldman in the end was the smoking , even though he hadn't smoked for 20 years. The xray treatment for the tertiaries in the spine, scarred his lungs and he could hardly breath

Thats what it sounds like and once the doctors start playing with things down there it never stops and never works the same again.

Both my old man and his business partner got prostate cancer.
My oldman had radiation treatment and chemo, his partner surgery.
Oldman didn't get any problems with incontinence or other stuff, where as his business partner did (incontinence and not capable of erections supposedly) but the surgery was more effective longterm - no reoccurance.

What got my oldman in the end was the smoking , even though he hadn't smoked for 20 years. The xray treatment for the tertiaries in the spine, scarred his lungs and he could hardly breath
PSA tests were OK, a few high. Full body scans bones/cells etc were all clear. Urologist still wasn't convinced, sends oldman for a biopsy. Everyone thought Urologist was grasping at straws. Biopsy results this week shows Prostate Cancer. Oldman has to get an Oncologist and start daily Radiation Therapy. :eek:

Doctors take stuff so much more seriously if there is family history.
Trust me, I get checked 1000 times over for diabetes and heart problems and now include tests for fasted blood sugar and Heart Pressure.

Good luck to your oldman!

How old is he ?

He may have to take the test neutralizing drugs as well with the radiation treatment.
My oldman did.Became a moody

Doctors take stuff so much more seriously if there is family history.
Trust me, I get checked 1000 times over for diabetes and heart problems and now include tests for fasted blood sugar and Heart Pressure.
that sounds like no fun Kaz. Better to be safe rather than sorry I guess.

No history of Prostate probs in my family as far as a know. I think my oldman might not be telling me the full story of his symptoms.

You telling me my Dr. is now going to be doing monthly Prostate checks on me :eek::( Can I send a surrogate [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; he can take his Homo Rage with him :D

How old is he ?

He may have to take the test neutralizing drugs as well with the radiation treatment.
thanks Lex. He's 73. Moody hey - thanks for the heads up.

Good luck to your old man mate.
cheers Grippy. Makes you realize the value of good medicine and good doctors. Wonder if a less experienced Dr would have had the strength of conviction/experience to keep digging to pick it up.

Also makes you realize whats important in life.

How old is he ?

My oldman got told by his oncologist that no one ever died of Prostate Cancer, its when it spreads that's the problem. Apparently a lot of older men die of other causes with cancer in their prostate, some not knowing it. Its when the cancer spreads that it causes the problems. I didn't know this.

(oldman's being given hormone therapy for 6 months to reduce the prostate then the radium therapy). Thanks for all your help m8! :)

The treatment for the tertiaries is what got my oldman.

He smoked until he was 40. The radiation treatment for the tertiaries caused scarring in the lungs (due to being a smoker) and eventually his lung function decreased to nearly nothing.

Good luck to him! and make sure to spend plenty of quality time with him

The treatment for the tertiaries is what got my oldman.

He smoked until he was 40. The radiation treatment for the tertiaries caused scarring in the lungs (due to being a smoker) and eventually his lung function decreased to nearly nothing.

Good luck to him! and make sure to spend plenty of quality time with him
sorry to hear that Lex. My oldman still smokes (70+). Thanks again buddy.