• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

2013 IPF Raw World Championships (Suzdal, Russia)

Sandman, no you would have single lifts (all three) in same champs like WDFPA.

Just one comp, perhaps at end of year. I reckon it would be awesome to watch.

Fair enough, that is what debate is about. but, not giving individual medals, would ensure that every kilo counts, although I always think one should not kill themselves on squat.

I completely agree about trying to eliminate token lifts. The bona fide attempt rule actually applies to individual lift medals too. It's just a matter of the refs properly enforcing the rule. The Kazakh was clearly lifting below himself in the squat to save himself for bench. That shouldn't have been grounds for disqualification in itself (ie he can still total), but he should have been ruled out of a medal and WR in the bench press.

Sandman, no you would have single lifts (all three) in same champs like WDFPA.

Just one comp, perhaps at end of year. I reckon it would be awesome to watch.
So would this have to have separate raw and equipped champs as well? You can see what I'm getting at. Can only have so many comps in a year and try to attract the best lifters.

I completely agree about trying to eliminate token lifts. The bona fide attempt rule actually applies to individual lift medals too. It's just a matter of the refs properly enforcing the rule. The Kazakh was clearly lifting below himself in the squat to save himself for bench. That shouldn't have been grounds for disqualification in itself (ie he can still total), but he should have been ruled out of a medal and WR in the bench press.
He took one attempt in the squat. It doesn't get any more obvious than that. If they're not going to enforce it in that scenario get rid of the rule

How does hitting a hard squat affect your bench? Has that been proven?

Does it just shave 0.1% off the lift cause of the previous exertion?

Yes hard squatting affects your bench. This can be observed empirically - try it for yourself. Also, for decades the IPF has held a separate bench press world champs and maintained separate bench press records for single lift comps and powerlifting (ie 3 lift) comps. The single lift records are higher.

It's not just general exertion. Your upper back plays a big role in both squatting and benching.

Update on this. The Kazakh who took token squat and deadlift to break the bench WR has tested positive, along with 3 other Kazakhs from worlds. Karma.

I really don't get the hatred towards the Kazakh guy doing a light squat to get the bench record. There is no Raw bench only worlds, so the only way to get the world record bench was to lift in the 3 lift, it's obvious from his 240kg deadlift that his squat and bench were well below par, so why not just take an opener in the squat to get a total, then pass the next two attempts.
It's not like he would have been in contention for a total medal, or a squat or deadlift medal.

Being a drug cheat is a different issue, and I'm glad he got caught, but I would have done the same thing with the squat if I'd had a chance of a bench record.

Sadly the amazing Natalya Kuzmina was one of those Kazakhs. Her lifts are still ridiculously huge for a woman, even with "assistance" but it is disappointing that she chose to cheat.

propose a debate at the AGM or by email vote, hopefully get member approval, and submit to world body if need be, or see it rule could apply to Australian comps only.

How are you going to define a token lift but?
At Nats I deadlifted 112.5kg more than I squatted, simply because I'm terrible at squats & good at deads. Or what about if someone has an injury which means they have to go lighter on a certain lift?