• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sternum/rib injury

Hooroo

Hey guys,
I'm posting this as I'm looking for any help I can get in fixing or helping to fix my issue.
Apparently according to my physio I have twisted a rib from my sternum.. Or something along those lines..
This has caused bruising to the cartilage.. And causes me a fair bit of pain..
Has anyone been through this and have any advise? I get pain in a couple of ribs (4th left side and I think 6th right side) and severe sternum pain.
I haven't benched for 10 weeks and the pain is still there, no better than when it first happened.

Thanks

Im going through this now. I thought it was a pec injury but the pain has narrowed to a rib joint in the left about the 4 or 5th. I believe I did it from an upper body workout where I didnt warm up. Mine went away for a bit but came back when I started training heavy.

Years ago I suffered Costochondritis and that is a fucker to have. Rib injuries take forever to go away.

Sounds like a similar injury to mine. Costochondritis, damage to the cartilage where the ribs connect to the breast plate. I get a build up of pressure and can actually release it by stretching and getting a "pop". Doctor prescribed anti-inflamatories and thats about it. Pain in the ass by I'm dealing with it atm.

Physio suggested stretching, massaging and rolling on my foam roller and tennis ball.. Also heat for blood flow..

It's driving me nuts, no progress so far..

Came from nowhere too. I can't pin point it.. I wrote when it started happening in my gym log, but no specific event.

My costochondritis started during the night when I rolled over and felt a crack in my sternum. I could actually push my ribs and make them move.

This injury in the rib isnt there when I wake but comes when I steer my car, lift etc. I feel like I cant open my chest enough to stretch it out. Im taking anti inflammatories but they do fuck all. I do alot of stretching through the back and chest and this helps a little. I find that the body nurses a chest injury by "hunching".

I thought it would be more common with powerlifting than it seemed to be by searching the forum.. Obviously that's the case! Are you guys training chest/bench at all? I did some close grip the other day but couldn't even handle that.

My costochondritis started during the night when I rolled over and felt a crack in my sternum. I could actually push my ribs and make them move.

This injury in the rib isnt there when I wake but comes when I steer my car, lift etc. I feel like I cant open my chest enough to stretch it out. Im taking anti inflammatories but they do fuck all. I do alot of stretching through the back and chest and this helps a little. I find that the body nurses a chest injury by "hunching".

Yeah I found that too, my back was looking a lot bigger and puffy than usual, even got commented on by my gf, but I felt very cramped and narrow in the shoulders. I got her to stand on my back and it felt like my ribs let go, everything fell into position with a huge crunch and it felt amazing. Two days later, back to the way it was.

I did bench last night and the pain today affected my work. I also did db flyes which are a bad idea but I thought they'd be good to open out the chest.
I had about 7 weeks off training and the pain all but went away but then kicked back in under heavy repetitive weight.

I had 2 months off and still the same. Heavy Benching/Weighted Dips was the contributing factor if I had to put it down to something. Back to benching heavy again, it only really hurts when I re-rack the barbell and loosen my grip. One exercise that the pain was too bad for me to continue this week was chin ups.

If you are not happy get a second opinion. I was told by the doctor I just had bruised ribs, pain didn't get better. Went to much better sports doc and got scans done, 3 broken ribs.

So is mine, I hurt it in April. It just niggles in a workout now. Can't wear an under wire bra as this triggers it also. Last injury took over 6 months.

Mine are starting to come good now.. Been months. I am benching again and using a heat pack over the rib that caused the problem. I can't go heavy but it's enjoyable just benching again

Last deadlift session included rows and these fucked my injury hard. Pain is virtually gone today and Im hesitant to do deadlift session.
Ive also found that with a chest injury, the muscles in the area also tighten up.