• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dip form for bench carryover

I reckon they're great for lockout, but I've only done narrow grip.

I might move the grip a little wider to increase chest involvement and "simulate the pause off the chest" as shorr said.

WTF is going on in this thread?

Seriously, do some of you guys just like to start arguments for fun? Wait, no, don't bother answering that.

Always done weighted dips, Eric Spoto recommends it as one of the best exercises to help with bench stalling points. Although I'm pretty sure dips contributed to my middle chest injury.

Is there some preferred way you should do dips to get good carryover to bench?

I use a pretty narrow grip on the handles and go forward and down. The hardest part is lockout.

Dip until your shoulders start to shrug - that means your upper back is the first part to be engaged to recover from the bottom position. Add enough weight to be able to do 5 reps with reasonable form then cheat like a motherfucker to get another two or three reps.

I once had nearly a year without benching - just weighted dips and press behind neck. When I resumed benching, there had been no loss of strength.

Why are people against a tiny bit of cheating every now and then??? I reckon it has it's place, things like rows, curls and triceps, especially if you still try to control the negative part of the rep.