• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you lift weights slowly or quickly?

Oilucy

Just wondering what others do in regards to the speed at which they lifte weights using pin machines.
The first PT I ever had told me to always lift slowly, which I have always followed.
I've noticed recently though that a lot of people (both male and female) lift weight quite quickly in comparison.
I tried this the other day to see what difference it made.
I noticed that I was lifting less whilst doing the movement slowly and lifting more when I was doing it more quickly - and I also worked up quite a sweat from doing it quickly and noticed that my muscles appeared to have gotten much more of a workout (I was much sorer the next day).
Would be interested to hear thoughts on both and whether there is a definate right and wrong way to go about it

I don't know a lot about thiis but increase the time taken to move the weight or Time under tension and I it more focusing on building muscle, while faster movement and more explosive lifting will be more targeted towards strength.

There is a happy medium for this as well much like rep range and lifting for long periods with a high rep range will effect strength

I do slower on the negative. Never used to but one of our trainers had us all doing slow on the negative and within a month our benches went up ALOT. I guess the slower you go, the muscle is working longer? Which is a good thing in some cases

I do slower on the negative. Never used to but one of our trainers had us all doing slow on the negative and within a month our benches went up ALOT. I guess the slower you go, the muscle is working longer? Which is a good thing in some cases

I believe the negative portion is the most neglected part of the rep

For working sets slow and controlled on the negative and fast on the positive. As Bazza said weight will determine the speed of the bar.

I might throw in some fast reps (negative and positive) of a light weight in my warm up or for a drop set afterwards.

In the concentric, my general attitude is to lift as quickly as is practical -- moving the weight forcefully, while maintaining technique. In reality, as it's already been pointed out, this might be fast, it might not. Often people need to start out slow while developing control of the weight and control over muscular involvement throughout the lift, so it may have been quite valid for you to have started out slowly, however more speed (if your technique is good with that speed) may also be good.

On the concentric, higher speeds help to build up the stretch strength reflex, while lower speeds mean more time under tension. Again, control is important here, whichever way you go. If you're just dropping the weight, then you're only doing half the lifting that you might do otherwise, however slowly lowering the weights can result in less reps. On pulling exercises and overhead presses, I like to do a controlled but fast/somewhat relaxed eccentric on most reps so that I can get more reps, then give a slow eccentric on the final rep so that I'm getting more work done than if I just dumped the weight. Doesn't work so well on squats and bench presses, where the concentric is the final part of the movement.

I mix up fast and slow reps...this allows for muscle confusion which helps to tone rather than bulk. You'll see a lot more definition doing it that way instead of regular reps every time. If you want to do regular reps from time to time, I would lift heavier than usual.

Just.. Fucking... Just... Fuck. I'm speechless. Lost for words.

Can you teach me the secrets of the toning and spot reduction so I don't get too bulky [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];?

Can you teach me the secrets of the toning and spot reduction so I don't get too bulky [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];?

Beats me man.
I've no clue.
:confused::confused::confused:

Sent from Pluto Space Station

LOL'd..

I thought they were trolling but I think that's serious...

I mix up fast and slow reps...this allows for muscle confusion which helps to tone rather than bulk. You'll see a lot more definition doing it that way instead of regular reps every time. If you want to do regular reps from time to time, I would lift heavier than usual.

Seriously this is nonsense

You've been filled with broscience.

Stick around longer and learn. I realise you were well intenioned but it made no sense.

Sent from Pluto Space Station