• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The study suggests that lifting light weights is anything but a waste of time.

I think you're confusing yourself.

The subject is.

And I could be wrong.

Does lifting light as part of a heavy template throughout the week serve any purpose?

If you have worked to squat, 5x240kg, or 20x200kg, for example with progressive resistance over time, does it make sense to reduce the weight by half Occasionaly?
Does it serve any purpose?

Most studies done on exercise are fucking retarded, done by people that don't train on people that don't train. As you are probably neither of these, you're also retarded for referring to them. All you need to do is look at what successful people have done. There are a handful of people that got loads out of rarely training but the evidence is incredibly one sided and there is significant amounts of evidence showing that the best athletes are not more talented than anyone else but average people that put exponentially larger amounts of effort in than everyone else. Of course people like to refer to examples of people not lifting a lot and studies that show people not lifting heavy for a few reps as it justifies their own shitty training because they don't have the psychological and intestinal fortitude to really train hard, largely because they don't want it bad enough

Kuntze- lifting light weights in a light day certainly has it's benefits. But if you're weak or only lift heavy less than 5 sessions a week then you're probably going to see more benefit upping the weights somewhat. If you have some sort of chronic injury it can help though

People are inherently lazy, they pick and choose pieces of (mis)information that are in line with their beliefs and the amount of effort they are willing to put in, anything that falls outside that scope they dismiss as wrong.

Confirmation bias, none of us are immune to it.

Last edited:
Kuntze- lifting light weights in a light day certainly has it's benefits. But if you're weak or only lift heavy less than 5 sessions a week then you're probably going to see more benefit upping the weights somewhat. If you have some sort of chronic injury it can help though

If as part of your workout , lets say 5 x week you have reached a point in your ability to progress.
(you're not injured)
You feel good...
Would it be more beneficial (and note this is in the Pl section) to;

Reduce the time you spend in the gym?
Add on a couple of "light" workouts?
Reduce the number of workouts?
Add a "maintenance" workout?
Eat more?
Sleep more?
Sleep less?

People are inherently lazy, they pick and choose pieces of (mis)information that are in line with the amount of effort they are willing to put in - anything that falls outside that scope they dismiss as wrong.

Exactly- and for your information reptiles laid the first eggs, not birds

People are inherently lazy, they pick and choose pieces of (mis)information that are in line with their beliefs and the amount of effort they are willing to put in - anything that falls outside that scope they dismiss as wrong.

Nice

If as part of your workout , lets say 5 x week you have reached a point in your ability to progress.
(you're not injured)
You feel good...
Would it be more beneficial (and note this is in the Pl section) to;

Reduce the time you spend in the gym?
Add on a couple of "light" workouts?
Reduce the number of workouts?
Add a "maintenance" workout?
Eat more?
Sleep more?
Sleep less?

I think time constraints are the only thing stopping people from increasing their volume exponentially. If I got to the point where I literally couldn't spend any more time in the gym then I'd increase average intensity as much as I could. This is what the Bulgarian's and the Russians did back when 50mg of dbol a day was a large dose! I doubt anyone would get to this point though so it's futile worrying about it. I stick in a light workout so I can turn it into a heavy workout over time- that is the only reason. To get me used to higher volumes slowly so I don't shit out my spleen and kidneys

lets shoot the messenger

haha, you're a fucking idiot. Read the study before you post this sort of bullshit for everyone else to read as I will unequivocally mock you for it. The study was done on untrained individuals on unilateral leg extensions- of course heavy singles wouldn't work.

"Participants reported engaging in lower body exercise such as resistance exercise alone or in combination with cycling more than 3 times weekly for the prior 6 months."

You are the fucking idiot - please take your own advise of reading before opening your mouth. And 3-4 reps is not "heavy singles" you demented retard.

The study doesn't prove anything conclusively, more research is needed but the results are interesting to me. More interesting then your dribble anyway :)

ps now I know why everyone on this board thinks you're a wanker.

I think you're confusing yourself.

The subject is.

And I could be wrong.

Its been mentioned a few times in this thread that lifting light is useless. I tried to add a new perspective to provoke some thought. Just a little piece of the puzzle I thought...

Does lifting light as part of a heavy template throughout the week serve any purpose?

Me and my training partner have had better progress doing this than any other routine. But Oni is the wisest member on the forum and he has already answered so lets not engage in intelligent debate any further

haha yeah, 6 months of cycling. Fucking elite athletes. I'm sure those high rep unilateral leg extensions turned them into beasts and I'm going to rewrite my entire training philosophy around this amazing protocol right before turning into a Chinese jet pilot. Heavy set of 3-4 reps clearly doesn't work and it's all light weight and high reps for maximum tone now baby, haha

Last edited:
haha yeah, 6 months of cycling. Fucking elite athletes. I'm sure those high rep unilateral leg extensions turned them into beasts and I'm going to rewrite my entire training philosophy around this amazing protocol right before turning into a Chinese jet pilot. Heavy set of 3-4 reps clearly doesn't work and it's all light weight and high reps for maximum town now baby, haha

You're being quite kunty and such

I'm all about the tough love
And that's maximum tone, not maximum town haha. Although I think you can achieve both along side snapping the shit out of your ACL