• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Increasing vein size in arms

nakota1

Hi,
This is my first time here, and I apologise if this is not a topic you can help me with as it is not technically bodybuilding. But I have asked many people in the medical fields and have been given no answer, so it occurred to me that some people with your experience might know.
This is a serious question to me, not a joke, so any advice would be great.
I have just been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, I am out of hospital and now on chemo, as a result of this, I need blood test each week (and this will be going on for a long time hopefully)

My problem is this:- the chemo has decreased the size of my veins, (common side affect) and now they are having trouble finding the vein to draw blood, a experienced person does a great job, but I've heard the people only get 6 weeks training and sent out. On these occasions I end up with jab marks and bruises that last weeks and I've been told that eventually each vein will collapse and can no longer be used. then they will start on the veins in my hands, back of knees, feet etc.
I've heard I can pump the veins up so they can be seen, through certain weight exercises. I currently drink heaps of water and put a heat pack on before, but I was after some arm exercises if possible.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks - Sandra
BTW- Can't do anything at the moment except lift some hand weights, as surgery was to stomach and is still healing.

I assume your talking about the lady taking my blood:), yes, tied off and pump a few times, working less and less though.

its more attractive to judges for chicks not to have so many veins, so relax.

I assume your talking about the lady taking my blood:), yes, tied off and pump a few times, working less and less though.

You could try manipulating your blood sugar a bit. To be honest tge best bet is finding a decent nurse or phlembotomist (i think thats.what they call the needle people) & always going back to that person.

Some of them just got a knack for finding the vein.

Have a relo whos an emergency nurse and always tells me storues about not been able to find a vein on junkies and they'll grab the stick and get it themselves first go.

What sort of cancer and how long?

Interesting about the blood sugar? why do you say that? that's one of the things I am being checked for each week too, as high or low is another side affect.
Finding the same phlembotomist is impossible here, they are changed day to day.

Kidney cancer, last stage, no symptoms, found out late Jan 2013, Mets gone to Liver and base of lungs. Since quite rare, does not respond to normal chemo, so am on trial of targeted drugs, so will be on this for rest of my life.

Hense the reason why I want to preserve the veins in my arms for as long as possible.

If it is getting very difficult or distressing getting venous access you might want to ask the staff about the risks/benifits of a portacath. Depending on your situation it might be an option.

Am trying to avoid a portacath till necessary, which hopefully will be a few years from now, I'm only young. Believe it or not, this type of cancer has increased by 30% in australia in the last few years and the average age is 35-45.

I'm just looking for a way to keep them pumped up a bit. Someone else mentioned heaps and heaps of bicep curls till I couldn't do any more, I guess this might bring out the veins for 1 blood test for a while, but can't imagine it doing my arm any good in the long run.

So I'm looking to see if anybody can suggest certain arm exercises (maybe bicep curls? are correct), and what kind of weight and reps might be enough.
I'd go to a Gym, and ask a personal trainer, but can't drive at the moment, and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 5k till my stomach has healed. So it would be sitting exercises.

Am trying to avoid a portacath till necessary, which hopefully will be a few years from now, I'm only young. Believe it or not, this type of cancer has increased by 30% in australia in the last few years and the average age is 35-45.

I'm just looking for a way to keep them pumped up a bit. Someone else mentioned heaps and heaps of bicep curls till I couldn't do any more, I guess this might bring out the veins for 1 blood test for a while, but can't imagine it doing my arm any good in the long run.

So I'm looking to see if anybody can suggest certain arm exercises (maybe bicep curls? are correct), and what kind of weight and reps might be enough.
I'd go to a Gym, and ask a personal trainer, but can't drive at the moment, and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 5k till my stomach has healed. So it would be sitting exercises.

Its not possible to grow your veins, people (or bodybuilders) just look more vascular when they have low body fat. I think a spike in blood sugar can make you appear more vascular but your veins aren't growing per se.

I don't think collapsing veins is really all that detrimental to your health. There are alot of pathways for circulation. Plenty of chronic junkies who blast all tgeir veins to smithereens go on and live long lives after they kick the gear.

Thanks Brick, that was interesting about not growing your veins, and the bit about the chronic junkies is encouraging for the future:D

So you may have guessed that I'm not a body builder, I'm more into running and swimming (or was), but it just seems logical to me, that if pumping my fist a few times before a blood test, brings up the veins enough for the person to hopefully stick a needle in, then doing regular exercise targeting this, would not make them grow as you say, but would maybe bring them permanently to the forefront. ( I don't have much body fat either)

The only reason, I'm concerned about this, is beside all the bruises. (you don't heal with chemo really well) is all the trouble it now takes to get blood out of me.
So I thought I'd just ask
Thanks again

The veins are elastic all your doing is holding more blood in them when you pump your fist. When you tie off and pump you push the blood out of your hand into the veins in the arm thus making them pop.

Good luck with it all chemo is as much an emotional battle as it isva physical one.

Stay strong and positive.

Pumping veins up is a temporary effect of exercise. It is no different than pumping your fist as you mentioned. There is no exercise that will bring them out permanently.

This thread turned out very different than what I imagined when I read the title. I expected some young kid going to a music festival or something. ;)

Good luck

Sorry to hear about your issues..

You have probably heard all the things you can do, stay warm, stay hydrated, heatpacks, torniques help, a dodgy collect may contribute to and increase bruising, esp if you have low platelets, or the chemo effects your clotting factors..

Most of the chemo patients I bleed usually have one decent vein that just keeps keeping on... The blood tests probably wont stuff the veins as much as the canulas will. If you tell the collectors you are difficult or that you are a chemo patient they should be able to arrange an experienced collector, get them to use a blue butterfly if you have tiny veins. It is possible to move up and down a vein and not punish the same spot.. A previous mark is usually an easy target for a new collector however.

were I work, we allways use the elbow area, first, then back of hand, never heard of feet or knees being used by us. There is a greater risk of infection, something a chemo patient wants to avoid..