• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

One day i won't be injured

siiiski

injuries are so frustrating, but i guess they are just part of the game...

probably been lifting for a year and a half and half that time has been spent with one injury or another, first was an upper back strain which was made worse because i stopped everything and didn't keep active.

Second injury (still working through this one) Shoulder impingement, made this one a lot worse by trying to push through the pain.

And imagine my fear when i started feeling some major pain in my lower back, straight to the doctors i went, no risking this one. Luckily some good news, it's not disc related, likely to be a muscle strain - rest, heat, core work and some foam rolling- should be good to go.

Although i understand these are really not bad injuries (they could be a lot worse) I have learnt a lot through the experiences:

- Bad posture can really take a toll on the body
- Foam rollers are your best friend
- Finding weak links in your body is crucial
- Staying active (within reason) is important for recovery
- Do not skip warm up/cool down and mobility work
- Don't google too much into injuries, a lot of stuff is BS and will just scare you
- Don't push through pain, it's really not worth it
- Seek professional help at the first sign of something painful, the longer you leave it the longer it will take to recover

Hopefully people can learn from mine and probably many others mistakes, so they can do what they enjoy doing for longer.

Cheers.

I think if you do any sport seriously enough you will probably always be carrying some sort of injury.

I agree with most of what you said.
Googling injuries is largely a waste of time but I have found foam rollers useless. I think I gave mine away. Also you need to push through pain sometimes otherwise you would spend most of your time doing nothing.

yeah sounds about right.

well i guess we have different opinions on foam rollers lol. I will agree with pushing through the pain to a certain extent.. but you have to know when to stop pushing, and i guess you can only learn where that threshold is once you have been injured :p.

yeah sounds about right.

well i guess we have different opinions on foam rollers lol. I will agree with pushing through the pain to a certain extent.. but you have to know when to stop pushing, and i guess you can only learn where that threshold is once you have been injured :p.

I heard a good quote and its true, you only know that you pushed too hard when you end up in hospital getting surgery. Basically push yourself hard enough without totally fucking yourself up and you really only know you crossed that line after its happened.

I think I have a different opinion to most people regarding foam rollers. I got one years ago and can't say it made a scrap of difference so I am not going to waste another second on the thing.

injuries are so frustrating, but i guess they are just part of the game...

probably been lifting for a year and a half and half that time has been spent with one injury or another, first was an upper back strain which was made worse because i stopped everything and didn't keep active.

Second injury (still working through this one) Shoulder impingement, made this one a lot worse by trying to push through the pain.

And imagine my fear when i started feeling some major pain in my lower back, straight to the doctors i went, no risking this one. Luckily some good news, it's not disc related, likely to be a muscle strain - rest, heat, core work and some foam rolling- should be good to go.

Although i understand these are really not bad injuries (they could be a lot worse) I have learnt a lot through the experiences:

- Bad posture can really take a toll on the body
- Foam rollers are your best friend
- Finding weak links in your body is crucial
- Staying active (within reason) is important for recovery
- Do not skip warm up/cool down and mobility work
- Don't google too much into injuries, a lot of stuff is BS and will just scare you
- Don't push through pain, it's really not worth it
- Seek professional help at the first sign of something painful, the longer you leave it the longer it will take to recover

Hopefully people can learn from mine and probably many others mistakes, so they can do what they enjoy doing for longer.

Cheers.

It's good you've learnt this very early on in your training career... I've only dropped my own stubborn ass attitude and started proper stretching and consulting with professionals now... Guess my body could only take so much 'pushing through'...

There is a difference between pushing through doms or lactic acid, and trying to will a sprain away etc..

Older you get, the more you're body starts to pull you up on shit ;)

E.g. I've just had a cortisone injection in my shoulder joint... physios, doctors, everyone had a different opinion. Until I bit the bullet -paid the $300 for an MRI (after trying ultra-sound and xray) and also saw a sports physician... Turns out I had arthritis... wtf?! ... always assumed it was an old mans disease, but turns out it can happen to anyone who has sustained severe enough trauma at any stage in their past... probably rugby from when I was at school or some crap, but the point is - the best thing you can do is to try and future proof your training ability by being responsible for your own health and be pro-active about shit as it happens.

Yeah it's hard to get over that voice in your head that says just keep pushing, even when you know it's a bad idea.

Worst thing is when professionals cant tell you whats wrong or they give you the wrong diagnosis (happened with my shoulder) first physio thought it was a trap strain, i figured after resting weeks and still wasn't going away to get a second opinion, second physio suggested shoulder impingement and got me doing exercises and stretches and it has been working a lot better, almost fully recovered (fingers crossed).

Wishing i hadn't wasted all that time trying to fix the wrong thing, it was funny because i even said to the first physio i think it might be shoulder impingement.

I dont do pullups or press overhead with a wide grip, that's my workaround. Doing either of those fucks me up.

I have also reduced my workout frequency for my back a lot, sometimes with 1.5 weeks between squat workouts, but it at least means I can keep lifting....

Me? Don't know, physio thinks a sprained joint or a muscle pull. I did a few years of really heavy baggage handling in my 20s and I think that has something to do with it. I won't stop though, providing I take it easy I think I can progress safely, albeit slowly.

I was in bed for about 4 days when I did it, it was pretty crippling, and it just feels like its 'about to go' every now and then so I back off....

Me? Don't know, physio thinks a sprained joint or a muscle pull. I did a few years of really heavy baggage handling in my 20s and I think that has something to do with it. I won't stop though, providing I take it easy I think I can progress safely, albeit slowly.

I was in bed for about 4 days when I did it, it was pretty crippling, and it just feels like its 'about to go' every now and then so I back off....

that sucks man, all the best, glad you're keeping at it though!

I was thinking as I was sitting in the physio earlier that even though we may get injurrd, people fuck themselves picking up pencils and doing everyday tasks, I guess bodies are just fragile and I'd rather hurt myself doing what I enjoy doing then fucking my back picking clothes up off the floor or some shit haha.

I was thinking as I was sitting in the physio earlier that even though we may get injurrd, people fuck themselves picking up pencils and doing everyday tasks, I guess bodies are just fragile and I'd rather hurt myself doing what I enjoy doing then fucking my back picking clothes up off the floor or some shit haha.

Just reminded me of a hard-case story I heard...

My boss knows a dude who 'put his disc out wiping his own arse' ... :D

I mean poor bastard, but that is pretty fucken unfortunate! Had to call the Mrs. in as well to help him out... :eek: