• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

questions for the ausbb brains trust on starting out routine

bert.

hi I'm newish to weight training and have no access to a gym and limited equipment ATM (cheap bench and barbell/dumbbell set).
I'm around 170cm tall and weigh 60kg and am just looking to get stronger and put some meat on my bones
I'm loosely following the reg park 5x5 beginners routine at the moment doing
squats 5x5
bench 5x5
calf raises 2x20
barbell rows 5x5
military presses 5x5
and deadlifts 3x5
doing this at the moment on Sunday Tuesday and Thursday with the other days being rest ones
is there any exercises I should add? or remove?
also I'm looking to buy a power rack soon so I can train safer alone and then add chin up's and dips to the routine.
so what are your thoughts?

Routine is fine as is

IMO adding dips and chins probably makes the session too long

What you might have to do down the track is sub them in for bench/row on one day when they begin to stall out

U got 6 exercises, around 25 sets, plus your gonna add chins and dips. Too much for one workout IMO. Deadlifting 3 times a week ain't recommended by most.

I'd suggest splitting those exercises in 2 (and A and B routine). If there are any exercises your keen on doing 3 times a week, then put it in both routines a la squats in Starting Strength.

how often should the deadlifts be done? should I just do them once or twice a week?
and as it is it takes me about 45mins to 1 hour depending on motivation?
and if it makes any difference I ride to work most days for some cardio and work as a mechanic so always lifting and pulling and pushing things.

If your new to it, and not lifting too heavy at this stage then 3 x per week is ok short-term, but not sustainable.

If you do an A, B program you're doing each exercise every 4-5 days.

EDIT - in case you're not familiar with it, the AB thing is based on 3 workouts per week.

Week 1
Sunday - routine A
Tues B
Thur A

Week 2
Sun B
Tues A
Thur B

Last edited:
If your new to it, and not lifting too heavy at this stage then 3 x per week is ok short-term, but not sustainable.

EDIT - in case you're not familiar with it, the AB thing is based on 3 workouts per week.

Week 1
Sunday - routine A
Tues B
Thur A

Week 2
Sun B
Tues A
Thur B

Not bad.

i've done the basic 3 days a week program and as u get stronger its too taxing on ur body especially the back. i could only manage around 6 or 7 weeks of the program. like others said you can't sustain squats, deadlifts and rows in one session as the weight progresses and 1 day recovery isnt long enough.

Week 1
Sunday - routine A
Tues B
Thur A

Week 2
Sun B
Tues A
Thur B

^I like this

I also like the Rippetoe approach.

Wkout A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Wkout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B. eg week 1 workout A x3. week 2 workout B x3

looks like I better hurry up and buy a power rack soon then so I can safely increase the weight's and then do chins/dips as well and split the routine
thanks heaps for all of your recommendations keep them coming.