• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Arm days only (Yes or No) ?

Arm only days?

• Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
Good progress because of the arms day? Or just because you are progressing on general?

Good progress as in arm growth.

As i always used to just add in a couple sets of bis or tris after my other pressing or pulling

having a dedicated arms day has helped me focus on blasting them more instead of just throwing a bit of fluff on at the end of a workout

A bit of topic ......

I've always found dips to be the best Triceps exercise going. So I wondered why close grip chins didn't have as good an effect on the Biceps as Dips do on Tris.

Anyone else find close grip chins pretty useless for the biceps.

inb4 its a back exercise.

The chinup is just plain tough.

The arm is traveling twice as far in the chinup compared to the dip.

The bicep is working a lot harder and time under tension here is the factor.

I reckon if you could come up with a bicep exercise that mimics the movement of the chinup, you'd be pretty popular.

It would firstly need to be a machine that applies constant automatically variable rotating resistance where the starting point would be same as a BB curl, but the finishing point (full contraction) would have your arm behind the head and your fist positioned at the base of the skull.

The only machine that remotely looks like this is a lat pulldown.

I reckon if you could come up with a bicep exercise that mimics the movement of the chinup, you'd be pretty popular.

It would firstly need to be a machine that applies constant automatically variable rotating resistance where the starting point would be same as a BB curl, but the finishing point (full contraction) would have your arm behind the head and your fist positioned at the base of the skull.

Cheers Goosey.

I'm really gonna focus on close grip chins over the next month or so to see how productive I can make them.

Cheers Goosey.

I'm really gonna focus on close grip chins over the next month or so to see how productive I can make them.

Close grip chins will not get the guns to grow.

Truly big arms require BULK tricep work and plenty of curls.

Triceps, tricepos, triceps and a bit of bi work if you want the shirt stretchers

Close grip chins will not get the guns to grow.

Truly big arms require BULK tricep work and plenty of curls.

Triceps, tricepos, triceps and a bit of bi work if you want the shirt stretchers
yeah I've pretty much realized that, just wondered why. Gonna experiment anyways.

yeah I've pretty much realized that, just wondered why. Gonna experiment anyways.

Main reason being that the arm is made up of 2/3 triceps and is. Much large muscle then the bicep, so having massice tris gives the impressions of much bigger arms, although a nice bicep peak is what most people are after which I find in genetic but can be worked on through doing direct arm workouts.

Chins will work the brachialis more than the bicep. Old brachialis injuries are probably the cause of the pain near the elbow that someone mentioned a few pages back.

Guys who have never tried training arms for development are always full of wisdom on arm training and why it's a waste of time. Big full t shirts with the sleeves flapping in the breeze.

Triceps
Weighted dips
Heavy pushdowns
Skullcrushers

Biceps
Incline dumbells
Dumbell curls or preacher curl

Both muscle groups cross two joints so I'm trying to put the shoulder in different positions for each exercise.

If you have adjustable bells you can try something that I've been thinking about but haven't tried yet. Load the dumbell with one end heavier than the other, pick them up with your thumb at the light end and curl. The imbalance should load the supination and therefore the bicep. I don't know if it works but I can't see why it wouldn't.

Then how come i can do 10 chinups and zero dips? :(

Main reason being that the arm is made up of 2/3 triceps and is. Much large muscle then the bicep, so having massice tris gives the impressions of much bigger arms, although a nice bicep peak is what most people are after which I find in genetic but can be worked on through doing direct arm workouts.
yeah. I was asking why close grip chins don't build the biceps as good as dips build the triceps.
Chins will work the brachialis more than the bicep. Old brachialis injuries are probably the cause of the pain near the elbow that someone mentioned a few pages back.
I think Bull hit the nail on the head. Cheers Bull.

Guys who have never tried training arms for development are always full of wisdom on arm training and why it's a waste of time. Big full t shirts with the sleeves flapping in the breeze.

Absolutely

Even with the hands supinated chinning can contribute to elbow soreness over time.

One reason why using an ezycurl bar is a bad idea.

In fact using the two together (chin and ezycurl) could be a recipe for contributing to elbow issues later in life.

Last edited:
Absolutely

Even with the hands supinated chinning can contribute to elbow soreness over time.

One reason why using an ezycurl bar is a bad idea.

In fact using the two together (chin and ezycurl) could be a recipe for contributing to elbow issues later in life.

So hammer curls better or worse for elbows?

So hammer curls better or worse for elbows?

In your case?

You might be better off limiting the volume of body weight only chin-ups you do, and do a set of chin-ups a week with added weight around the waist.

Have you done or do get much out of pullovers?
If so, you could incorporate that and heavy BB curls for a couple of months once a week.

The hammer type grip on any pulling exercise would be incorporated if there where issues with the shoulder.

I think if you're going to work the bicep, you got to use a barbell, with a lot of weight, and use only one set maximum, once a week.

What do you think?

In your case?

You might be better off limiting the volume of body weight only chin-ups you do, and do a set of chin-ups a week with added weight around the waist.

Have you done or do get much out of pullovers?
If so, you could incorporate that and heavy BB curls for a couple of months once a week.

The hammer type grip on any pulling exercise would be incorporated if there where issues with the shoulder.

I think if you're going to work the bicep, you got to use a barbell, with a lot of weight, and use only one set maximum, once a week.

What do you think?

Haven't done chins for months because of my elbow. I would be in a lot of pain of I did. Barbell curls similar, no way are heavy barbell curls possible at the moment. Well they are possible but my elbow almost seizes up the next day and hurts a lot to move it.

I've settled on very light hammer curls at the moment and so far they don't seem to hurt and light rows.