• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

trap bar= serious gains

McFLy

super m0derator
Recently I switched to trap bar for everything really that I can substitute regular barbell work with. Deads rows military press ect..Ive gone from a 160 dl to a 200 kg 1rm, I have no problem pumping out bent over row reps with 100kgs. I love super setting d/ls with leg extensions awesome pump and growth are coming along nicely with this little combo. I have even gone from pressing 40 kg dumbells to 50 kgs. Massive gains with only 5 or 6 weeks of constant use.

The best part of it is I dont have that lower back soreness that has plagued me for a few years.any one else had good success with the trap bar?

You're still using a barbell?
I'm not quite sure about your statement about going from 160 to 200?
Is that with a barbell?

The fundamental difference with the trap bar as opposed to the barbell is that with the barbell, when deadlifting is you can lock out the back, which is good for this exercise, you are unable to achieve this with the trap bar, which sort of means its a standing leg press.

Two different exercises, but good ones as they both work the hip.

I like the trap bar too.

Also curious as to whether you mean you went from a 160 deadlift with a barbell to a 200 with the trap bar, or 200 with a barbell. I remember when my deadlift was at 200 I could do 240 with a trap bar.

You're still using a barbell?
I'm not quite sure about your statement about going from 160 to 200?
Is that with a barbell?

The fundamental difference with the trap bar as opposed to the barbell is that with the barbell, when deadlifting is you can lock out the back, which is good for this exercise, you are unable to achieve this with the trap bar, which sort of means its a standing leg press.

Two different exercises, but good ones as they both work the hip.

Goosey making statements like that make u look stupid. How is it anything like a leg press?
First off all a leg press is a push single joint machine. The tpdl is a pull and full compound exercise thst works the whole chain. Compared to conventional dl you are more quad dominant. Your back is stil supporing the weight through tension.

I don't understand how it is anything like a press lol
200 on trap bar d\l btw
Its more of an overhead press around chest height in the rack for those that are curious it really hits the delts like the top of the Arnold press coz it allows supinated grip on trap bar.

I find having short arms and long legs it benefits me more than having to resort to sumo dls

Goosey making statements like that make u look stupid. How is it anything like a leg press?
First off all a leg press is a push single joint machine. The tpdl is a pull and full compound exercise thst works the whole chain. Compared to conventional dl you are more quad dominant. Your back is stil supporing the weight through tension.

I don't understand how it is anything like a press lol
200 on trap bar d\l btw
Its more of an overhead press around chest height in the rack for those that are curious it really hits the delts like the top of the Arnold press coz it allows supinated grip on trap bar.

I find having short arms and long legs it benefits me more than having to resort to sumo dls

Kuntze is right.
1st - you weren't clear about your increase from 160 - 200
160 BB to 200 trap bar doesn't mean shit.
just means you learnt to be more efficient at lifting from the new position.
go grab a regular BB and get your new 1rm to see if you got better.

lifting a loaded trap bar is very much like a leg press in terms of movement.
Much more quad dominant then when pulling with a regular BB.

That's what I assume he meant.

Only person looking silly is the person claiming serious gains of 40kg in deadlift when using different equipment.

I get the OH press thing.
hand position and bar path being much straighter would be beneficial.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to reply, but yes TTT this is what I mean.

With a barbell the weight is forward of the mid-line of the torso.
With the trap-bar the weight is in-line with the torso.

Using the trap-bar as a press in a squat rack is a good idea as TTT states.

There is more mechanical work in relation to lower back than the trap bar, the muscles of the lower back are still playing a supportive role, but not compared to the BB dead-lift.

Two different exercises.
The trap-bar lift is not a deadlift.
The deadlift is not a squat.
The SLDL is not a DL or squat

Including all four over a week is a good idea.

Marty.

The leg press is a multi joint exercise.

The limiting factor to this exercise is it doesn't allow hip extension, so on a poorly designed machine (in the extended position) the force of the resistance is ending at the hip.

The trap bar is a better alternative if you have no access to a good leg press, they're aren't many around.

Webster - dead lift Function: noun Date: 1963 : a lift in weight lifting in which the weight is lifted from the floor to hip level

Personally I only got frivolous gains from a trap bar
never SERIOUS GAINS

Kuntze is right.
1st - you weren't clear about your increase from 160 - 200
160 BB to 200 trap bar doesn't mean shit.
just means you learnt to be more efficient at lifting from the new position.
go grab a regular BB and get your new 1rm to see if you got better.

lifting a loaded trap bar is very much like a leg press in terms of movement.
Much more quad dominant then when pulling with a regular BB.

That's what I assume he meant.

Only person looking silly is the person claiming serious gains of 40kg in deadlift when using different equipment.

I get the OH press thing.
hand position and bar path being much straighter would be beneficial.

40 kgs on dl
20 kgs on bench
30 kgs on row
How is that stupid? And not not serious gains by any means.
Im pretty confident I can assume a carry over to barbell dls but why do I need to bother? Like I said my structure is more suited to trap bar. In the last 5 or 6 weeks I been growing and progressing. Thats what bodybuilding is about. I can load up on 120 kgs and keep good form for 8 to reps on the trap bar. Serious gains all so meant muscle my legs are looking better than ever I get that simmaler feeling in quads that barbell hacks gives. My bavk is getting even thicker than tbe barbell ever got it. Any one who doesn't want to progress and look at the bigger picture is kidding them selves.

End of rant