• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Aaargh! Can't gain weight ... burning up!

Bantamweight

I have been doing Starting Strength linear progression for 6 weeks. Lifts have increased but my BW has fallen from 67kg to 66kg despite adding 3 protein shakes to my 3 meals a day. If I eat a lot at night, I often wake up sweating at 2am as though my body is burning off the excess calories. Do any other skinny bastards have this problem?

Had the same problem when was 57kg. I just ate everything in site and like magic the weight piled on.
Ask yourself are you really eating sufficient food?

What's your daily intake look like?

Last edited:
3 protein shakes with water would only be 120 cals each shake unless you load it with dextrose and use milk. You need calorie dense food like peanut butter, olive oil, mayo etc. If you like mayo add some whole egg mayo to everything, close to 200 calories per 25grams

If you think you eat alot maybe go get your blood/hormones checked but you're probably just not eating enough.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Eat bigger meals for breakfast and lunch.

Try adding a tablespoon or two of olive oil morning and night - thats an extra 400 cals a day.

As Romie said more calorie dense foods.

If you can stomach milk make your shakes with milk not water or use chocolate milk or add a tablespoon of treacle or dextrose or add a cup of fruit/berries.

Or eat 5 meals a day instead of three

If ur waking up sweating at night, then that sounds like ur heart rate is working overtime. Are u on any kind of stimulant? Hydroxycut, l-carnitine or anything like that.

Good to see I'm not Robinson Crusoe in this issue.

My current diet is roughly:
Breakfast: bacon & egg roll or sardines on toast.
Mid morning WPI shake with 250ml whole milk + half a banana + creatine
Lunch: king prawn stir fry and rice from local Thai joint
Arvo: shake
Dinner: goat curry, osso bucco, lamb necks, roast chicken etc. Usually about 200-250g meat and lots of vegies.
Evening: shake with ice cream OR cheese plate and half a bottle of red.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Good to see I'm not Robinson Crusoe in this issue.

My current diet is roughly:
Breakfast: bacon & egg roll or sardines on toast.
Mid morning WPI shake with 250ml whole milk + half a banana + creatine
Lunch: king prawn stir fry and rice from local Thai joint
Arvo: shake
Dinner: goat curry, osso bucco, lamb necks, roast chicken etc. Usually about 200-250g meat and lots of vegies.
Evening: shake with ice cream OR cheese plate and half a bottle of red.

So not much, that's why you are not gaining weight.

weight and log your food - Its the ONLY way to know for sure.

Ie a bacon and egg roll could be, 1 egg, 1 rasher and 1 roll...

Then you have my B N E Rolls = 2 eggs, 4 rashers of bacon, Cheese, Avacado and a hash brown X2 rolls and THATS a nice breakfast. :)

skinny people underestimate, Fat people under estimate.

Jesus, I already feel like Mr Creosote eating what I am now.

Still, any excuse to eat peanut butter sounds good.

Try having some breakfast at home as well as work breakfast
Banana and yoghurt or at least a shake - or banana yoghurt and wpi in a shake

Jesus, I already feel like Mr Creosote eating what I am now.

Still, any excuse to eat peanut butter sounds good.

Dude if your serious about fixing the problem... Then learn to count calories...

Count what you eat for one whole week and divide by 7..... Increase calorie intake by 10% and retest over a fortnight...

Through that process you will find easy ways to add more calories in... You will also quickly recognise where your meals are undermining your efforts....

you might be eating a lot of volume but not calorie dense foods. veg is great and you should eat lots of it but it won't add up in the kcals.

so you have to factor this in.