• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

JRB

I've been running the Stronglifts 5x5 > 3x5 program for quite some time now and I've gotten a lot stronger across all lifts, aside one.

I've been trying for about 8 months to get the conventional deadlift form right - I've read every article under the sun, watched Medhi deadlift 450lbs about a thousand times, deloaded, got people to record my form - but no matter what, I always end up arching my back when I pull. My max has been 145kg for five reps, yet the form was no good and I got some pain in my lower back, so I dropped the weight right off again. I can squat 155kg high bar so my deadlifts should be a lot higher than 145kg. Even when pulling lighter weight, the exercise has never felt 'right' no matter how hard I try to get the technique right.

I recently read that tall guys genrally struggle with deadlifts more than people who have shorter legs. I'm a 6.1" guy with long legs, and I really do feel that my body just isn't proportioned correctly to do conventional deadlifts right, hence why I've been struggling for so long.

I tired doing sumo deadlifts at the gym today @ 130kg, and they just felt plain wrong too. I probably need to wind the weight right back and work on the technique more, but I just want to get you guys opinion on this before going down this path.

Should I or shouldn't I make the switch to sumo?

dont go sumo

the best deadlifter at the gym i go to is 6'4 or so and pulls 270kg, stop blaming your height.

post a link to your recorded form and someone might critique it. Or, go along to a powerlifting gym and get some coaching for it - i bet it could be resolved in under an hour.

Mate, I'm roughly 6'2" with fairly long legs, nearly 40 years old with a totally sedentary background of being a stick figure leading to stick figure with a bit of gut, have been lifting for maybe a year all up with zero coaching, and can pull 180kg without straining anything too badly.

It's probably a form thing, or an attitude thing, or both.

Not trying to make you feel (more?) crappy or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's down to.

Took me ages to get low bar squats nailed down (got my squat numbers up for months doing high bar, which didn't seem to matter too much, all said and done). Plus, I even managed to hurt myself in the process, oh joy. :p Could be it just hasn't clicked for you for some reason.

Have you posted up some videos on AusBB, to see what the experts have to say?

You height isn't an excuse because 6'1 isn't really that tall and usually the longer legged blokes are better at deads anyway.

My guess is you probably just have a weak back and haven't really developed the ability to lock the lower back in either.

Are you just doing one set for deads?

If so you probably just need to lower weight and do more sets for a while.

Tbh it sounds like 1. Your set up sucks so you're not in the right position to start and 2. Like Bazza says, you can't lock in your back properly

I cant really add anything to what the others have said, especially with out a video.

I will answer your next question though.... No, a belt wont help.

"I probably need to wind the weight right back and work on the technique more,"

Good idea.
Can you write down what you do for the week please.

My wife in her 40's has had a bad back since an injury in her Teen years.

She has been training for the past 2 years, 1 year doing deadlift as part of her routine, no previous physical activity ever.

She started with the bar only and I always made sure she did correct form ie: like a rigid accordion.

She always struggled with them.

Then we split the exercise, she would do proper deads from the floor once per week and then a few days later she would do partials ( rack pulls) she now does 140kg with the back injury constantly in the back of her mind.

PS: the partials have also helped her squat 120kg and her flat bench 110kg 1RM.
She does SUMO Deads for hamstrings, works her BUM :)).

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I might drop down to PTC Brisbane and get someone to help me with my technique. I really don't mind paying for a real powerlifter to correct my form. I do run a technology business so most of my days are spent desk jockeying, which I do believe has given me a weak back (particularly lower back) in comparison to the rest of my body. I certainly don't want to give up on conventional, as frustrated as I am with them right now, so hopefully I can get my technique fixed up more.

I do 1 set of deadlifts at my working weight with two sets of warmups at around 70% then 85% of my working weight.

I am doing the stronglifts program which is basically 5x5 Squats three times per week alternating bench press and Pendlay rows with overhead press and deadlifts.

You height isn't an excuse because 6'1 isn't really that tall and usually the longer legged blokes are better at deads anyway.

My guess is you probably just have a weak back and haven't really developed the ability to lock the lower back in either.

Are you just doing one set for deads?

If so you probably just need to lower weight and do more sets for a while.

Yep

When it comes to getting stronger simple is usually the best bet is what I am finding of late.

I listened to the 1 set of deads a week or you will overtrain for too long.

How the fuck are you supposed to get really good at something by doing only 5 reps a week. And how shit do you think your body is if it can only recover from 5 reps of deads in a week.

I can just imagine cro-magnon man taking down a bison and then collapsing from catabolic shock running away from a sabre toothed tiger the next day

Overtraining, not even once

I can just imagine cro-magnon man taking down a bison and then collapsing from catabolic shock running away from a sabre toothed tiger the next day

Overtraining, not even once

Them cro magnons were feisty bastards

Thanks for the advice guys. I might drop down to PTC Brisbane and get someone to help me with my technique. I really don't mind paying for a real powerlifter to correct my form. I do run a technology business so most of my days are spent desk jockeying, which I do believe has given me a weak back (particularly lower back) in comparison to the rest of my body. I certainly don't want to give up on conventional, as frustrated as I am with them right now, so hopefully I can get my technique fixed up more.

I do 1 set of deadlifts at my working weight with two sets of warmups at around 70% then 85% of my working weight.

I am doing the stronglifts program which is basically 5x5 Squats three times per week alternating bench press and Pendlay rows with overhead press and deadlifts.

You're welcome down anytime, just flick me a PM or give me a call :)

On the note of "just do more", I agree and dissagree.
Volume is, in most cases the key to moving a lift.

BUT

If you have a pretty ordinary technique, the more volume you do, the more you reinforce bad motor patterns. It then takes much longer to re-train a lift. I get it all the time at my gym.
The best clients are the ones that haven't ever lifted. I get to set the right techniques from the start, and then smash the volume.

You're welcome down anytime, just flick me a PM or give me a call :)

On the note of "just do more", I agree and dissagree.
Volume is, in most cases the key to moving a lift.

BUT

If you have a pretty ordinary technique, the more volume you do, the more you reinforce bad motor patterns. It then takes much longer to re-train a lift. I get it all the time at my gym.
The best clients are the ones that haven't ever lifted. I get to set the right techniques from the start, and then smash the volume.

Thanks mate. I just sent you a PM.