• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've been running the Stronglifts 5x5 > 3x5 program for quite some time now and I've gotten a lot stronger across all lifts, aside one.

I've been trying for about 8 months to get the conventional deadlift form right - I've read every article under the sun, watched Medhi deadlift 450lbs about a thousand times, deloaded, got people to record my form - but no matter what, I always end up arching my back when I pull. My max has been 145kg for five reps, yet the form was no good and I got some pain in my lower back, so I dropped the weight right off again. I can squat 155kg high bar so my deadlifts should be a lot higher than 145kg. Even when pulling lighter weight, the exercise has never felt 'right' no matter how hard I try to get the technique right.

I recently read that tall guys genrally struggle with deadlifts more than people who have shorter legs. I'm a 6.1" guy with long legs, and I really do feel that my body just isn't proportioned correctly to do conventional deadlifts right, hence why I've been struggling for so long.

I tired doing sumo deadlifts at the gym today @ 130kg, and they just felt plain wrong too. I probably need to wind the weight right back and work on the technique more, but I just want to get you guys opinion on this before going down this path.

Should I or shouldn't I make the switch to sumo?

2 important things you havent mentioned are how long are ur arms? What's your flexibility like? Especially in your hamstrings.

Ppl with longer arms are almost certainly better deadlifters than bench pressers due to the range of motion.

Also if u have poor flexibility, can't touch ur toes etc, then Ull be using ur back for the majority of the lift which is a lot waeker than your legs. Spend some time activating ur Hammies, lower back, calves before u start. Ull notice Ull be using ur legs more in the lift, especially off the ground which will take the load off ur back.

Me eyes are hurting.
Can you do an old bloke a favour and use; you, you're and you'll instead of; U, UR AND ULL?

Thanks mate.

I don't see what proportions have to do with anything.
I have a short torso and long arms, should I give up on benching? Or do I try even harder?

I don't see what proportions have to do with anything.
I have a short torso and long arms, should I give up on benching? Or do I try even harder?

Tell that to the 4'11 olympian @60 kgs vs the 6'3 skinny kid at the same weight...see who has the advantage when it comes to deads and bench.

Proportions are big thing when it comes to lifting.

I never said give up. You can't change the length of your arms. You make do with what you got and push through it.

Tell that to the 4'11 olympian @60 kgs vs the 6'3 skinny kid at the same weight...see who has the advantage when it comes to deads and bench.

Proportions are big thing when it comes to lifting.

I never said give up. You can't change the length of your arms. You make do with what you got and push through it.

You can't do anything about your proportions so don't give them a second thought. Just suck it up and lift.

As an aside,

If strength is best described as, "the ability to apply force".

The which persons muscleture that drives the bar, stronger in the bench-press?

Short arms barrel chest?

Long arms average chest size?

As an aside,

If strength is best described as, "the ability to apply force".

The which persons muscleture that drives the bar, stronger in the bench-press?

Short arms barrel chest?

Long arms average chest size?

too far

I've been running the Stronglifts 5x5 > 3x5 program for quite some time now and I've gotten a lot stronger across all lifts, aside one.

I've been trying for about 8 months to get the conventional deadlift form right - I've read every article under the sun, watched Medhi deadlift 450lbs about a thousand times, deloaded, got people to record my form - but no matter what, I always end up arching my back when I pull. My max has been 145kg for five reps, yet the form was no good and I got some pain in my lower back, so I dropped the weight right off again. I can squat 155kg high bar so my deadlifts should be a lot higher than 145kg. Even when pulling lighter weight, the exercise has never felt 'right' no matter how hard I try to get the technique right.

I recently read that tall guys genrally struggle with deadlifts more than people who have shorter legs. I'm a 6.1" guy with long legs, and I really do feel that my body just isn't proportioned correctly to do conventional deadlifts right, hence why I've been struggling for so long.

I tired doing sumo deadlifts at the gym today @ 130kg, and they just felt plain wrong too. I probably need to wind the weight right back and work on the technique more, but I just want to get you guys opinion on this before going down this path.

Should I or shouldn't I make the switch to sumo?

If your back is taking the weight maybe you pulling with back instead of pushing with hams/glutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY