• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on Smolov Base cycle

S

SerpyBen

A quick question for the Squat gurus on the forum..

Today I failed during the 5th set of the 10set by 3 rep day. (last lifting day for the week) this is on my third week of the base cycle of Smolov.

At this stage I was comfortable yesterday with the 7sets by 5 reps but this morning I was tired.

Should I repeat week 3 in total, or rest tomorrow and repeat todays the day after and continue on?

At this stage pending any other advice I am just going to repeat the week and try to get enough sleep.

P.S. Smolov didn't seem intimidating when I started, but it certainly catches up with you quickly !

Isn't that the very last day of the base mesocycle anyway?
Personally I would have gone through the extra 5 sets even it had taken me all day.
And if I had left I would certainly go back tomorrow and do it again. Even if it takes me all day.

Yep onis right rest longer. I've failed a set and then continued on resting longer and grinding them out.

Or just quit, smolov ain't for everyone.

Want to really be a hard ****, try back to back base cycles with a fortnights rest between.

Or smolov jr for bench coupled with smolov base for squat.

Or smolov jr for bench coupled with smolov base for squat.

I had thought of doing this but inverting the days e.g. lower weight, high reps for squat and higher weight, lower reps for bench and then changing during the week. Don't know if anyone has tried that? After doing base cycle for squats previously, I can't imagine doing another 10 sets of 3 on bench after that!

And I agree with Oni. Rest longer and just keep going but now that it's done I'd just rest a day and a go again.