• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

fasted comps

jzpowahz

Now firstly, I understand that intermittent fasting is probably not the norm around here so not expecting a lot of answers but was curious :)

Just wondering how others have gone with going for maximum strength numbers (1rm's) while training fasted or fed?

I typically train in the afternoon so my normal sessions are fed. Most of the science on nutrient timing in regards to performance gains supports the fact that some carbs and protein pre and post workout should be more beneficial. As most of my powerlifting competitions start around 11am this would normally be in a fasted state for me.

I have done 2 comps fed and did ok and I did my last comp fasted and also did really well. And when I say fasted, I did have BCAA's during the event.

So questions are:

1. do you normally train fasted?

2. have you competed or tested your 1rms fasted?

3. if so, how do you think it compares to your fed testing?

I wake around 6am, breakfast at 930am, train 6pm. No carbs are consumed until after training.

I start eating carbs, and lots of them 23.95hrs prior to an event. I have no real science to whether it helps or not, but its what I do now.

I believe the CBL book says that If you train mornings, backload the night before.

Again, this doesnt really answer your question though

I do all my training fasted at the moment and I never notice a difference and continued to set PBs.

Set 1rm PBs fasted in the last couple weeks in OHP, incline bench, floor press, log press.

I do usually have a Pepsi max befoe training but that's just because I love the taste.

To add by what sticky said I do pretty much unintentionally carb back load every night before weight training. Having 250-400g carbs most night for dinner.

I never noticed any difference personally although notice a big difference carbs the night before
I am a Class 3 lifter going by the GPC rating scale which is your rating as well

thanks for your input people.

I'm thinking of just doing the strongman comp fasted as it's an early start anyway and previous results seem to show that the difference is negligible or possibly do slightly better fasted. Will be carbing up big time the night before though :)

You didn't mention that it was strongman. I thought you just had to lift 9 singles
You'll probably want to eat some sort of trail mix in between events

I did a mock strongman comp with the exactly the same weights as in the comp at PTC a month ago and all went well. Not sure how long the whole event will go for though so I'll have some pop tarts on hand if required :)

I do the majority of my training fasted. Havn't noticed any difference in strength for fasted vs fed, but I prefer to train fasted when possible just because I generally feel quite focused and energetic fasted.

The only comp I've done to date was fasted. I pretty much hit the numbers I was expecting to, and had great energy the whole time, even though it ended up being a ~20hr fast by the time it finished. I did have quite a few serves of BCAAs during the comp.

Last edited:
You seem to think that BCAAs will somehow give you energy in a competition or training
They won't.

Now firstly, I understand that intermittent fasting is probably not the norm around here so not expecting a lot of answers but was curious :)

Just wondering how others have gone with going for maximum strength numbers (1rm's) while training fasted or fed?

I typically train in the afternoon so my normal sessions are fed. Most of the science on nutrient timing in regards to performance gains supports the fact that some carbs and protein pre and post workout should be more beneficial. As most of my powerlifting competitions start around 11am this would normally be in a fasted state for me.

I have done 2 comps fed and did ok and I did my last comp fasted and also did really well. And when I say fasted, I did have BCAA's during the event.

So questions are:

1. do you normally train fasted?

2. have you competed or tested your 1rms fasted?

3. if so, how do you think it compares to your fed testing?

I entered my last comp after about 4 months of fasting although I didn't actually compete fasted although I didn't do very well but this was more because I lost so much weight during that time, there was no real gain in strength over the time, just holding on to whatever I had, so I ended up a little below my maxes from the comp before

thanks for your input people.

I'm thinking of just doing the strongman comp fasted as it's an early start anyway and previous results seem to show that the difference is negligible or possibly do slightly better fasted. Will be carbing up big time the night before though :)

Big carb up the night before (stay away from pasta, breads) and keep them up during the comp. Take some lolly snakes, apple, bannana. If you are under weight for the comp load up now on Powerade aim for one bottle tonight and at least two bottles tomorrow before the comp (and water too) it will make a tone of difference when competing.

im no where near as strong as alot of the guys here, but

i was training fasted at 5 am, now ive switched to training late at night, and i feel way more powerful!!

on the other hand, for ski comps, I always ski fasted, better concentration and lighter, which if you know how it works youll know why thats good

im no where near as strong as alot of the guys here, but

i was training fasted at 5 am, now ive switched to training late at night, and i feel way more powerful!!

on the other hand, for ski comps, I always ski fasted, better concentration and lighter, which if you know how it works youll know why thats good

Yes you're WAY stronger in the afternoon. I find 5pm about right.
In the morning your spine is drier than a grandmothers vagina so if I ever train in the morning I make sure I'm doing support work like arms, rear delts, lats, calves and so on. Your hormonal profile is also suited more to heavy lifting in the afternoon and you'll get better body composition changes due to how your insulin levels look

I'm not. Weak as fuck in the afternoon but that could also be because by 6pm i have already been up for over 13 hours and fucked.

You seem to think that BCAAs will somehow give you energy in a competition or training
They won't.

Nope have nothing to do with energy levels, they aren't a stimulant. But they do have catabolism sparing properties with negligible calorie value, which is quite useful for people who trained fasted or are dieting down - there seems to be reasonable research on this.

Either way, a tub of flavoured BCCA is cheap and tasty (certain flavours) so why not for peace of mind.