• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fat People lazy as dole bludgers (Today Tonight)

A good friend of mine who is overweight is probably the hardest working person I know

Well this was me,

I used to work a minimum of 60 hrs a week, ie 10 hrs a day for 6 days, but that would be an easy week, I often worked 12-15hrs days and sometimes used to go 3 weeks without a single day off.

I was a fitness fanatic before I stared in that job, I was lean, ripped with a 6 pack hitting the gym every day after work (had a factory job in those days working 7 1/2 hr days, 7am till 3pm, then used to go the gym straight from work, smash it up for an hour in the gym then twice a week (Mondays and Wednesdays) after gym used to head to kickboxing for an hour and a half session. before coming home and dinner would be on the table. Then Sunday morinings used to be my 'Running Day' used to get out and run 7-10km every Sunday morning first thing followed by a sprint session with plenty of push ups and leg raises and sit ups.

Changed jobs and started working huge hours ie leave for work at 5:30 am often not getting home till 7 or 8 pm covered in grime and crap, then shower eat and do it all again. Often eating take away and rubbish, no time for gym, when I did get a Sunday off the last thing I wanted to do is run:mad: Went from 85-90kg of lean muscle to 120-125kg of flab:mad: Never worked harder, never been less lazy in my life yet I was getting high bloodpressure and was obese, struggling to put my socks on:mad:

Changed Jobs again, now work 10 hour days generally 4 days a week, got rid of my mortgage, and now have time to train again (home Gym this time as closest gym is 100km away from my place each way) , and down to 108kg now:)

So not sure it is laziness to be fat, it could be just being very very busy, however I am sure in some cases it is just being lazy and lifestyle choices.

Seriously when I was working big hours I was drinking BIG, I actually can not believe how much I used to drink:cool: 6-10 stubbies of 'Tooheys New' would be a quiet standard night, on a hot day get home and open the fridge and I would smash the first stubbie before even closing the fridge, then pick up the second one, first three beers would take me about 5-10 minutes.

If going out used to buy two schooners for my first order and smash the first one while the bar tender got the change out of the till.:eek:

In comparison, I don't think I have had any alcohol this year yet, planning to go out Saturday night, so might have a beer or three, that would be the first beers this year:)

Anyway, even though some people might just be fat AND lazy, many others might be fat and busy:)

Last edited:
Remember Larry Holmes, world heavyweight boxing champ; always looked a bit overweight but superfit. Same with George Foreman.

Dont be fooled by bodyfat levels, looks can be deceiving.

being busy is still being lazy with nutrition.

Nutrition takes time as well, if you are too busy with life and work, and mortgages, I remember getting take away most lights as it was too late to cook and prepare meals, getting home from work at 8pm after having left home at 5:30am does not really leave time to cook healthy meals, usually was pick up some Chinese or Maccas or KFC or pizza or what ever on the way home.

If you start cooking dinner at 8:00pm by the time you eat, clean up, shower, etc no time left to sleep before heading off to work again at 5:30.

I remember being in a daze, of just working and sleeping and eating take away and drinking beer when I was not at work. I could have cut the beer, but I think it kept me sane at the time:( Health and fitness was just not a priority, working and making money was, nothing to do with being lazy, just different priorities.

The more I think about it being fat does not really mean you are lazy, it might just be that you have different priorities in life, I think it's a huge generalisation suggesting that fat people are lazy.

I always hear fat people blame their slow metabolism as the cause of their woes, how if they eat a slice of bread it goes straight to their arse.

being busy is still being lazy with nutrition.

Exactly.

And working long hours is hardly an excuse. Welcome to the real world. Heaps of people work long hours and manage to cook meals themselves.

What it takes is not being lazy and plan your meals ahead so you don't get home at 8 with no meal planned. You can easily cook a decent meal in 10-15 minutes. My favorite is slow cooker meals. Chuck it on in the morning and its ready to eat when you get home. Cook extra so you have meals ready to go for the next three nights.

Exactly.

And working long hours is hardly an excuse. Welcome to the real world. Heaps of people work long hours and manage to cook meals themselves.

What it takes is not being lazy and plan your meals ahead so you don't get home at 8 with no meal planned. You can easily cook a decent meal in 10-15 minutes. My favorite is slow cooker meals. Chuck it on in the morning and its ready to eat when you get home. Cook extra so you have meals ready to go for the next three nights.

Exactly.

I'm a chippie by trade, and I was working 6am-6pm. I was then doing night fill whist saving for a holiday, 8pm-11pm. I did this for around 8 months, 5 days a week.

I still trained 3-4 sessions a week, and had 6 meals ready to go for the next day.

Committed is committed, lazy is lazy.

But if people have no interest in training then how can it be lazy??

My brother is a classic example, he has no interest, does not want to train or play sports. I know plenty of people like that. How does it mean they are lazy??

He works hard at work, works hard around the house and has rebuild two classic cars back to bare metal every bolt re plated and every part rebuild in his spare time. So does that mean anyone that has not restored two cars in their spare time in the last 5 years is lazy or would it be that they might not have any interest in rebuilding/restoring cars???

Some people get their car washed, does that make them lazy?? Some people buy food ready made to eat?? Does that make them lazy?? Some people play video games, does that make them lazy?? Some (many) people have hobbies and interests not involving health and fitness, that does not make them lazy???

I would think not.

You could say that about anything, if your house is not 100% spotless clean all the time does that make you lazy or does it mean you just have other priorities and are just not concerned about your house being spotless???

Other people work 2 or 3 jobs, so is everyone who does not work 2 or 3 jobs just lazy?? Again I would think not.

Just because someone has no interest in training or health and fitness and eating steamed broccoli and chicken does NOT make them lazy it just means they have other interests.

A tradey that works till 6pm??
Bahahaha!

Haha, mate I can agree with that, I remember getting my house build, and never saw any tradie there after 2:30pm Monday to Thursday or 12:00 noon on Fridays, site used to be locked up tight before then, never seen these guys move faster than when they were packing up:p

Big Mick, i have empathy.

If i did not learn from an early age (18-19) about calories and nutrition, i would likely be much more overweight.

As many people later indciate, their lives changed when they actually learned about nutrition.

We are talking about being fat here. I am assuming most people don't want to be fat.

It's not fair or fun but for most of us it takes effort though diet and, but not 100% necessary, training to not be fat. People who are fat only have themselves to blame. It's laziness with diet and maybe exercise why they don't loose weight.

It's just that I have been on both sides of the fence.

I used to be a fitness freak from 16 years old till about 30, then changed priorities and between 30 and 40 have never worked harder in my life, with priority being paying off my mortgage and working every waking minute, yet I was obese, so it has nothing to do with laziness, now in my mid 40's I am fitter, stronger and healthier than when I was 32, but work a whole lot less, and realistically are probably a whole lot more lazy than I was when I was fat.

So saying fat people are lazy is just an assumption that has no backing of facts what so ever. It might be the case for some people but certainly not the case for everyone.