• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Private health care

Unless you personally know these people I call urban myth or simply BS created by health cover providers.

There is no way that cancer treatment/testing would be put off. Or any other serious condition. When my missus had our first kid and she started having complications, she was in hospital that instant. Same when they discovered my mother had a blockage, they would not even let her leave to go home and get changed, straight to hospital and bypass operation within a few days.

More recently my dad had cancer and was straight in that day.

I doubt very much that a mother who had complications giving birth would be kicked out that day.

My oldman would have had to wait 9 months on public system where as private was immediate start. Prostate cancer. This was five years ago and he was on Sydneys northern beaches.

Treatment didn't buy him anything in the end (other than numerous unpleasant injections and a few minor surgeries with complications )- he died at christmas. Personally I think he would have been better off without treatment.

Always ask Dr's if they would have the cancer treatments themselves.

Have private cover and have needed it with a few ongoing hassles after a big bike accidet back in 98. Also good for physio and dental costs.

But for some big ticket stuff for dental and eyes , I'll be getting it done overseas as even the top rated places are 1/3 to 1/10 the cost of getting it done here and the technology is 5 to 15 years ahead.

where exactly? i need day surgery to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth out and cbf paying australian prices lol

I paid sweet f/a under my Health Insurance, but in saying that it's pretty expensive without....

mines complicated so will be expensive even with insurance. Need to go under a general anaesetic which is pricey.

all 4 are coming in at 45 deg angles and their roots are tangled with my nerves in my jaw

My remaining wisdom will be a fucker to bet out. Dentist is happy to leave it for now....and so am I.

mines complicated so will be expensive even with insurance. Need to go under a general anaesetic which is pricey.

all 4 are coming in at 45 deg angles and their roots are tangled with my nerves in my jaw

ouch.

I've had one out which wasn't bad. The other one that needs to come out is split and dentists don't want to touch it. Just filled the top/semi capped it.

Might be the year to get it done and laser surgery on eyes.
Depends on how much I get robbed by tax office -hope to get some of the 23k back

On the wisdom teeth. When I was at uni without health insurance had to get them out. Went cheap and got them out via the dental school. 120 for all four via a student. 4 out in the chair impacted. All good later got a dental absis and jaw fused shut. Had to get a drain in my neck and found they broke my jaw getting one of them out. Week in hospital. Lesson learnt better to have insurance and get it when needed properly.

2 year wait for something my dad had done...
or a few weeks in private. ;)

What was it he had to wait two years for???

I bet nothing urgent, but probably elective surgery.

And how much did he have to shell out with private cover??

Knee reconstruction (non urgent...was still able to work, just needed a tonne of drugs in which to do so).
He paid a decent amount i think, was not aware of specifics. But je was never happier when he walked outta hospital the next day!! Lol.

Australians pay the highest out-of-pocket Private Health Insurance costs in the world - just saw on the news.

AUSTRALIANS pay twice as much for out-of-pocket healthcare costs than the British and French.
A new analysis reveals Australians pay on average $1075 a year in out-of-pocket health costs - among the most in the world. ..................
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

(Channel 10 said "the most")

In the states its tied to your employment package so you are paying more but it is going out the back door.

Unless you personally know these people I call urban myth or simply BS created by health cover providers.

There is no way that cancer treatment/testing would be put off. Or any other serious condition. When my missus had our first kid and she started having complications, she was in hospital that instant. Same when they discovered my mother had a blockage, they would not even let her leave to go home and get changed, straight to hospital and bypass operation within a few days.

More recently my dad had cancer and was straight in that day.

I doubt very much that a mother who had complications giving birth would be kicked out that day.

I know it sounds bad but in some cases it is true. My best friend is a doctor and just yesterday we were talking about this. he said they always advise any people that have private health to go private for their own benefit (get treated quickly). He said the number of terminal cancers is much higher in public than private simply because the speed in which people getting in for scans etc. Now I'm not saying that once it is diagnosed public wont make it a priority but it is getting those initial appointments to get diagnosed. If this is delayed you are simply giving the cancer more time to spread and potentially missing the opportunity to save someones life.

Thought I might share my thoughts on private health cover.

To keep the back story short, in a nutshell all my molars (back teeth - x8) need to be crowned because over some years they've been worn down from grinding my teeth when weight lifting and from stress etc. I go to a pretty up market dentist, as a rule of thumb they charge at least 1.5x what a normal dentist would charge, but closer to 2x generally, in return they have the latest technology and blah blah etc. Each crown is made from gold and fully envelopes the tooth and costs around $2,000 each. Obviously this starts to add up quickly, I've already got 3 with 5 more to go. So I looked into getting private health cover to help offset the cost.

I didn't really shop around or go through iSelect as I'd pretty much decided to go with Medibank Private as my family had always been with them previously and a quick perusal of what they offer seemed to work out quite well for me, and that's what I want to share.

I'm a single (as in "not married") male, 25yo, healthy, the top level of cover with top level of extras cover costs me just under $3,000 a year going off the generic quote.

From that $3,000 I can subtract the Medicare rebate straight up at tax time which is about $900, so that brings the yearly premium down to $2,100.

I also happen to work for a not-for-profit organisation which gives me an 8% discount, which works out to be about $200, so that brings my yearly premium down to around $1,900.

The reason I went with the top level of cover = top level of "extras cover" is because they pay out $1,600/yr towards "major dental" which goes towards my crowns for example. So I plan to have 1 crown down a year. So subtract that from my premium and that brings it down to around $300 already.

I also get adjustments done in my back from a chiro 1-2 times a month, and like to go to the physio for deep-tissue massages 1-2 times a month, and the top level of extras cover pays out $750 and $1,000 a year respectively towards both of these.

So with just that, the membership has already more than paid for itself + there's still a truckload more stuff I can claim, for example cost towards a new pair of othotics etc etc.

On top of this, off the top of my head I think when your medical expenses >$2,500 you can start claiming them against your income tax also (Kez180 can confirm).

Most importantly of all though, I've got the best cover available in case of emergency/accident and I wind up in hospital or something horrific etc.

So in light of the above, I don't see why more people don't take out private health cover. I often hear colleagues and friends say stuff like "I don't need it" / "It won't happen to me" etc.. but stuff always happens and why sit in a public hospital waiting room when you can have a private suite?

P.s. If you do want to sign up to Medibank Private and get a $50 Gift Card when you do, simply present this Reference Number - "2313565"

Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, chicken or fish, or boiled egg, dairy like dairy products, natural and low fat parmesan cheesse, depending on nutritional supplements manufacturers and statements....

Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, chicken or fish, or boiled egg, dairy like dairy products, natural and low fat parmesan cheesse, depending on nutritional supplements manufacturers and statements....
have you seen 0ni's thread yet?