• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Move yo ass boy

DKD

Private Dancer
I saw a doco the other day that ran scientific tests on 3 different specimens: an office worker who did no exercise, an office worker who visited the gym for an hour 4-5 times a week, and a waitress who didn't visit gyms.

Can't remember all the specific areas tested, but from a general health point of view, health of heart etc the waitress was far ahead of the bloke who worked out.

The point they were pushing was that the hours on end of sitting is very detrimental to health, that the human body wasn't designed for that excessive level of inactivity, and that you have to get up and move during every hour of the day.

They asked the question, 'how many hours a day do you sit down?'

Far too many for me. Prob far too many for most.

Count 'em folks. How many hours are you on your ass each day? Do you plan to change that? Do you care? If not, can you recommend a good mobility scooter?

the doc is right. just going to the gym for an hour doesn't undo the effects of sitting for the rest of the day.

chairs kill.

I saw something similar to this this a while ago, the heart monitor showed the waitress was flat out all day and much healthier for it. I think she also rode to work instead of sitting on her ass in a bus or something.
Also looked into hiit and showed the benefits of intensity of exercise compared to quantity eg sitting in bike or treadmill for ages.

Who would have thought that constantly moving and being on your feet was better than sitting on a chair for 8hrs....

It's mind boggling isn't it neddy lol

Grip, I think we're talking about the same doco, from BBC...the presenter was getting a bunch of tests done on him after HIIT workouts. I sat on my ass for 5 hours on a plane watching that.

Inertia creeps. Moving up slowly.

A lot of it is to do with your NEAT. Moving constantly or often increases your NEAT over the course of the day and this has been found to be strongly linked to lower risk of disease etc.

So, yes, manual work where you are on your feet most of the day is the way to go.

Office work kills. Ditto driving taxis

LOL at stationary bikes ... on the road to nowhere :p

What did the office worker do in the gym just weights or cardio included?

They only touched on it briefly. He wasn't swole....think he just did a bit of both, weights and cardio.

A lot of it is to do with your NEAT. Moving constantly or often increases your NEAT over the course of the day and this has been found to be strongly linked to lower risk of disease etc.

So, yes, manual work where you are on your feet most of the day is the way to go.

Office work kills. Ditto driving taxis

LOL at stationary bikes ... on the road to nowhere :p

yeah they talked about NEAT a fair bit on the doco. The challenge is to increase the amount of time you're moving when u have a job that doesn't really suit that endeavour. It ain't easy.

i sat on ass for 7 hours today for work (at home).

Also sat on my ass riding bike to and from gym for an hour, plus 1 hour of weights.

I asked for a standing desk in the office a couple of years ago and they looked at me like I had 3 heads

They only touched on it briefly. He wasn't swole....think he just did a bit of both, weights and cardio.

yeah they talked about NEAT a fair bit on the doco. The challenge is to increase the amount of time you're moving when u have a job that doesn't really suit that endeavour. It ain't easy.

it's not hard if you are a natural fidgeter with a short attention span :p

I think we need to re-invent the typical office workstation. I'm thinking an eppiliptical contraption where you activate mouse, keyboard or phone depending on stroke direction.

Brb, starting up a multi billion dollar global phenomenon.

I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day, take the usual walk every half hour or so but pretend to to play double kick drums all day whilst cranking out my tunes. Keeps my feet and legs busy.

I use grippers when I get stressed out. I also like to throw chairs and otjer objects at co-workers gets tge blood flowing and helps you blow off some steam.