• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Forum list: best military press and push press

No darkoz is a tool.

A push press is a great exercise in its own right.

You're right (about being a great exercise)
I just didn't know it was called that. I just thought it was a press with help from the legs! I'd heard push press and always thought it was more of a press to 45deg for some stupid reason.
Anyway, carry on!
T

I've been told to lay of military press by my physio and do push press and bench instead. I gotta say after doing incline bench the first bit of ROM of a military press feels like hell for the shoulders.

What are peoples thoughts on just training push press and bench? Will I get horribly weak(er)?

I've been told to lay of military press by my physio and do push press and bench instead. I gotta say after doing incline bench the first bit of ROM of a military press feels like hell for the shoulders.

What are peoples thoughts on just training push press and bench? Will I get horribly weak(er)?

Lay off military press but it's ok to do push press and bench??
Are you doing shoulder rehab?
I don't understand allowing one and not the other which is pretty much the same movement/concept.

My advice would be to do any exercise that does not cause pain.

I could not to dips for over a year once because it hurt, but had no pain when doing bench.

Push press provides a lot less stress on shoulders than military press, as momentum from legs moves it quickly past hard static position without requiring 100% activation of delts.

Lay off military press but it's ok to do push press and bench??
Are you doing shoulder rehab?
I don't understand allowing one and not the other which is pretty much the same movement/concept.

He said the first few inches of ROM are particularly hard on the shoulders... he mentioned tendons, may have mentioned something else. This guy has squatted 225kg and at a light bodyweight and I believe competed/coached in QLD weightlifting. Those Oly lifters I guess have a bias towards push press.

But after doing flat/incline bench the other day and loading up the bar for some military, I really noticed it being more stressful just until I got the bar to chin/nose level, at which point the stress subsided a lot.

No vids as these were a little while ago but my PB's are:
Military 70kg
Push Press 90kg
BW 83kg for both.

Understand if vid is required to get on list though. I'm too fat at the moment but I'll be sure to get some new numbers when I get back to 82.5kg next month.

He said the first few inches of ROM are particularly hard on the shoulders... he mentioned tendons, may have mentioned something else. This guy has squatted 225kg and at a light bodyweight and I believe competed/coached in QLD weightlifting. Those Oly lifters I guess have a bias towards push press.

But after doing flat/incline bench the other day and loading up the bar for some military, I really noticed it being more stressful just until I got the bar to chin/nose level, at which point the stress subsided a lot.

I was the same when I had shoulder issues with the push press/jerk. I could do them pain free. Not having to do that first few inches made a big difference.

How do you guys do heavy presses and overcome those head spins/dizzy spells? That first rep makes me see stars, man.. I am paranoid about topping over lol.

How do you guys do heavy presses and overcome those head spins/dizzy spells? That first rep makes me see stars, man.. I am paranoid about topping over lol.

Are you breathing properly? Don't hold your breath if you are. Also is your head back and neck tight?? That can cause dizzy spells. Warm your neck up along side your shoulders. Could help??

you gotta breathe in when you go down and out when you go up and feel the muscle and the pump and the burn

well im happy i have my strict military press up to 60kg for 5 reps. using one of those 1rm calculators that estimates my 1rm as 68kg, but who knows i did 62.5 last night for two reps but was already fatigued from the previous 4 sets and cleaning the bar from the ground on every set.

i dont do push press so i have no idea what i would do in that.

oh yeah my bodyweight is just on 80kg

Anyone here use a really narrow grip?

I do, I feel it mainly on my front delts. I don't think I really hit the sides at all doing OHP.

Does it feel like 90% front delts to you too?

If I go wider I just get pain.

mine is just outside shoulder width, it feel majority front delts, but i make sure as soon as i get passed me forehead i get that bar right up over my head not in front.
same as you if i go any wider i get pain.