• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Growing Organic Super Greens and other Edibles

Thats how I started my tomato and capsicum patch, just through scraps. Plus the chooms have a scratch and shit seeds around the place. I have funny things grow in funny places...!

Worth doing your research to make the most out of them. All organic is bloody hard, your superfoods like kale will get smashed by aphids and cabbage moth larvae if you don't spray regularly with something like pyrethrum. We have a large pottager garden, and I am continually learning. All plants have different requirements of water, nutrients and pH. Do it for the love of it, not the savings!

A couple of photos from last year.

New trees in this year include a sour cherry and a couple of perry pear trees.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 22
Jeebus thats an awesome set up!!

I grow for the love! There really usnt much more in it if you dont love gardening! Lol

Kale Planting
Just went to my local gardener and purchased certified organic potting mixture and 2 different varieties of Kale. Tuscan and curly leaf. The darker the leaf the higher the antioxidant level. Black and Red Russian are, from I can tell through my own research, 2 of the best varieties for antioxidant levels.
They are approximately 20cm high and already bearing a thick stem on the Tuscan. The curly leaf grows more similar to a cabbage and the Tuscan similar to a palm tree. Since Im going on holidays I wont be planting so much this side of my leave.

Will post pics soon.

Organic Pest Spray
Purchased a product today called Bio organic Pest Spray. I have used it before from a Sample and have now purchased a full size bottle. Its main ingredient is tea tree oil which in itself deters alot of the little buggers from munching on my leaves!

I also bought a Cavendish Banana tree suitable for frosty regions, but going to cover with a frost cover anyway...

My Kale has really sprouted in the last month. Cooked some up last night lightly steamed and find they taste closer to spimach than cabbage.
Im going to have to apply my eco oil as the White Cabbage Moth has taken a liking and have laid thier larvae on the leaves.
de5e6any.jpg

Mmmmm kale I steam it and have lemon and chilli on it
Yummo!!
I haven't had a chance to experiment yet. I wasnt even sure I was going to like the stuff!

Botanical Oils
Sprayed the leaves this week with botanical oil to rid the leaves of Cabbage Moth Lavae .Seems to have done the trick. They have all but wiped out the Tuscan Kale but is showing alot of new regrowth. It grows like a palm tree.
Red Russian variety is really taking off.

yqe5e7u9.jpg

Loving that kale growth, Kaz! yum.

omg, serious garden envy HSVJake!!!! Your backyard is like my godfather's ... I'm seriously jealous!

I've got fab chillies and herbs right now along with radicchio and my broccoli are growing like crazy. can't wait to have broccoli shoots !!

Cool thread,
We have just started an Aquaponics setup which is rather cool and the growth you get from plants is a pretty amazing. PLus we will have the added benefit of fresh trout around November when they are ready to harvest.

Currently in the aquaponics growbed we have celery, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, kale, and silverbeat and parsley.

Also have some different chillis growing in pots and have to work on the soil veggie patch to start planting some of the seedlings we have on the go.