• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cardio with bad knees

Beergut

G'day all,

I've recently been diagnosed with early stages of osteoarthritis in my knees.
With the help of a psychologist I've given up drinking and am maintaining a healthy diet.
I need to shed some weight before bulking up and I'm looking for some cardio that won't stress my knees.
Something I can increase the intensity of over time.

I've heard skipping is good and have ordered a rope from eBay.

Any other suggestions?

Skipping would have to be high impact on the knees I would imagine especially of you are heavy or over weight.

Rowing machine, and stationary and/or real bike would be my number one choice.

HIIT Burpees, will melt the fat off you, but are tough, try 10 sets of 5reps or 10reps for starters depending on your fitness.

a friend of mine had both knees replaced when he was 30. he was a copper always was fit. he bikes alot now and swims as was said in previous posts running skipping jumping all those sort of things are really bad for the knees .

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the info.

Burpees sound interesting and I can try them straight away.
Was tossing up buying a stationary or moving bike, I'll start with the Burpees and see how I go.
I've been losing half a kilo a week just with diet and only have about 10 kilos to go but I want to increase my overall fitness and get heart healthy.
I'm forty years old and should have done this twenty years ago but better late than never.
I have a home gym from failed attempts at training in the past so I don't go to a commercial gym which limits the equipment available.

After work tomorrow, eat, Burpees, eat. (Mini-meals of course)

Thanks again.

Yeah definately bike and rower would be your friends, and as others have said burpees are fantastic for cardio and would be low impact for your knees as well.

Skipping will hurt your knees if you are carrying a few kgs.

Burpees are great, but I would also be doing some kettlebell swings with lower weight, higher reps. A good 5 minute session will give you an amazing workout.

I find the exercise bike as boring as fuck, would much rather ride my real bike outdoors.

If you get the chance try rowing in a real boat, amazing cardio workout.

Exercise bike in front of the TV and under the air conditioner. Cardio for the person that hates cardio.

G'day all,

I've recently been diagnosed with early stages of osteoarthritis in my knees.
With the help of a psychologist I've given up drinking and am maintaining a healthy diet.
I need to shed some weight before bulking up and I'm looking for some cardio that won't stress my knees.
Something I can increase the intensity of over time.

I've heard skipping is good and have ordered a rope from eBay.

Any other suggestions?

Are you using cardio as a means to primarily to lose fat beergut?

And also Why use "beergut" as a user name?

I'm interested in your answers.

The elliptical trainer would be perfect for bad knees.

A few sets of KB cleans will send your heart rate through the roof. In fact, almost any kettle bell exercise will do just that.

Hey mate, burpees are great but i would suggest that depending on your weight and how bad the knees are, burpees may not be the best option as you'll still be jumping up and down. Riding and swimming have been mentioned which are think are great and low impact on the knees. A good regime for the bike could be 5 mins warm up, followed by 5-10 mins at a 60-70% effort then the final 5-10 mins you could do 40/20 splits ie 40 secs at 80-90% effort followed by 20 second recovery spin. After this make sure you do a cool down spin. Prepare to sweat so have a towel nearby!!!!

Also look up power ropes/battling ropes... Look it up on you tube. Great cardio tool and the basics will have no impact on the knees. Incorporate as part of a conditioning workout 20 rope slams/singles followed by 10push ups x 5 sets.

Good luck. There loads of great suggestions already!!

Last edited: