• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

body proportions and hitting squat depth

I'm more of a BSD/Web services guy

Routine {
MaxTrainingFrequency = 4
StartWeeklyVolume = 100
MinSetVolume = 1
MaxSetVolume = 10
}

#!/bin/sh
check=$1
result=`cat /usr/local/endocrine/freetest1 | grep $1`
if ($result <"300")
then
echo '1' >> /usr/bin/trt
exit
fi

Minchia, thanks for your considered response.

I am neither young nor flexible, and I live a long way from easy access to expert help. I don't get excited about lifting for size or aesthetics; I do get a thrill out of lifting to compete so I need to figure out a way to hit depth.

By "change stance" do you mean "go wider"?

If so, then I am going to have major flexibility issues. Adductors, obviously, but also something that rounds the lower back over toward the bottom. I can research this stuff and rebuild my squat over time, but any suggestions you might have would probably be valuable

El Freako has it covered, creating yourself a hole is probably your best bet here.

I have seen a number of people who just can't squat without their heels lifting off - temporary fix is putting two plates/bit of wood under each foot (heel), though I simply avoid that and work with flexibility and positioning/technique.

FFS please stop analisys just put a bar on your back and squat, add a little weight at a time, maintain good form.
Get big, girls will come running.

True story.

Where should most of your weight be? Leaning back on your heels? Or 50/50 balls/heels (with a little lean forward)?

With all the weight on my heels squats just feel like a glute/hamstring exercise. Is this wrong?

I'll get some. A side video is in the OP.

From the vid I can see heels coming up off the ground and hips translating forward as you reach your bottom position which causes your knees to do the same (more noticeable in the second rep). Can't really tell what position the bar is in from the vid, guessing low? With your lack of mobility in the hips and ankle and it's going to pretty hard to make depth. Not impossible though.

First would be to see if you can hit depth on a front squat or a goblet squat. If you can hit depth with those then it's either something technical holding you back with your regular squat or a mobility issue.

Second would be testing to see if you have tight hip flexors/hammies/calves.

Third would be to see Dorsiflexion ROM in both ankles.

Fourth would be T-Spine mobility.

Where should most of your weight be? Leaning back on your heels? Or 50/50 balls/heels (with a little lean forward)?

With all the weight on my heels squats just feel like a glute/hamstring exercise. Is this wrong?

I can only speak for me here- when I squat because of crappy levers I find I have to push out with my feet and this causes my knees to go out. Because of this the weight will always be on the outside of the heel and this is where it feels best and strongest. For me

Unless you want to tip forward when coming up you want to push up through your heels with an emphasis to the outside of the heel which will help keep your knees out.

From the vid I can see heels coming up off the ground and hips translating forward as you reach your bottom position which causes your knees to do the same (more noticeable in the second rep). Can't really tell what position the bar is in from the vid, guessing low?

Yep.

First would be to see if you can hit depth on a front squat or a goblet squat. If you can hit depth with those then it's either something technical holding you back with your regular squat or a mobility issue.

You are spot on. I can hit depth with both of those. Am pretty sure it's a technical issue, i.e. I need to get a slightly wider stance happening to create more of a hole to drop my arse into. And change the angle of my feet to get my knees out more. And apparently sitting back is not so crucial for a raw squatter, so I can deprioritise that.

You are spot on. I can hit depth with both of those. Am pretty sure it's a technical issue, i.e. I need to get a slightly wider stance happening to create more of a hole to drop my arse into. And change the angle of my feet to get my knees out more. And apparently sitting back is not so crucial for a raw squatter, so I can deprioritise that.

Do you need to be sitting back like they do in equipped lifting? No. Back and then down would be how most raw squatters would see it I think.

Again can't tell from the side how wide the stance is, but a Shoulder width to 2x Shoulder width squat stance should cover most raw squatters. You'll get some that are wider like Dan Green and Stan Efferding but they have very good hip mobility. With a front on vid it would be better to judge so chuck one up after your next squat sesh.

You should be able to wiggle the toes, I got pulled In again.

Thanks. I can wiggle the toes. I can pretty much take my weight entirely off the balls of my feet, which I can almost wiggle, and in a few cases have almost fell backwards. Glutes/hamstrings are killing me coming up, it adds 30kg-40kg to the bar.

Forget about the whinge of "my levers are no good". Unless you are short and compact the only sure fire way of improving the raw squat (other than juice) is to gain weight.

If you are over 5'10, strictly raw and weigh less than 100kg then life is simply going to be difficult for you.

Forget about the whinge of "my levers are no good". Unless you are short and compact the only sure fire way of improving the raw squat (other than juice) is to gain weight.

If you are over 5'10, strictly raw and weigh less than 100kg then life is simply going to be difficult for you.

What a crock of shit.

Squat with good technique, squat often, his squat will go up.

Unless you are short and compact the only sure fire way of improving the raw squat (other than juice) is to gain weight.

Another way of improving your raw squat is to start off with a really shitty one. This is the approach I plan to take.