• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Aust football's strongest lifters

spartacus

David Hala, Brisbane Broncos now has a 195kg bench press, although still behind NRL record of 225kg held by the former Former Manly Sea Eagles prop Kylie Leuluai and Brisbane's NFL-bound college football star Jesse Williams bench presses 272.5kg. The latter intends to smash the NFL combine record wit around 60 reps, but i read he got 30 reps in following article.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Last edited:
If you consider Denis Cieri then 225kg is definitely believable, but 272 is asking for a bit of a stretch of the imagination even if you give leeway for football form.

Ben, how are you shaping up for comp? what is your aim?

I hit some pretty fast 180s a few weeks ago but then was slowed down a bit with paused 175s last week. However that might have been due to too much of a calorie deficit which I have since rectified as I am now sitting under 96kg.

I want 180kg at least, and am hoping for 185kg at best. I'm just stoked to be lifting this heavy again since I couldn't even bench the bar in August with my torn arm.

Then its equipped nats in July (Goal: 230kg) and Commonwealths in December (Raw goal: 200kg, and maybe equipped goal: 250kg... if I can pull it off on the same day)

Problem with these shorter strong guys like David Hala is that they look like monkeys ........ (no offence Freako).

When he first came onto the scene a few years back you could literally see the genetics oozing out of him, it was the same with Carl Webb and Sam Thaiday. Genetics just stand out so clearly.

I thought Carl Webb held the Broncos bench record. Didn't think Brad Thorn would.

Last edited:
I remember reading a couple years back that Timana Tahu had the biggest deadlift at Parra. Can't remember how much he lifted, but it surprised me that a centre, rather than a forward, had that honour. Pretty strong dude, with speed as well.

lol, saw an interview with Matthew Richardson from Richmond where he said his max bench was 120kgs...

lol, saw an interview with Matthew Richardson from Richmond where he said his max bench was 120kgs...

I know a couple blokes that played for Richmond and Richo may have done 120 on a very good day.

But really no suprise that footy skill and max bench have very little correlation.

it does somewhat bazza because it is important to push away from your opponent away in rugby league..

i'm sure you will reflect on that post tomorrow and shake your head like i just did.. :p

20+ years of playing footy and I will guarantee you max bench and top footy players have very little correlation. Today or tomorrow.