• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sore shoulder

Gloves78

Hi just joined how is every one

I have started w/o again after not for about 10 yrs I do fairly physical work so keep fit anyway
I have been doing front raises and now have a sharp pain across the top of my shoulder running from my trap across the top of shoulder down to the middle of upper arm

It is a long thin pain an hurts if I stretch my arm across my back with palm out

My shoulder also clicks wen I do a circular motion it also hurts in the joint any ideas what I've done an how I can fix it

I don't think I over did it as worked up an were only lifting 7-8 kgs per arm.
Anyway thanks guys look forward to replies

Exact same thing as me, Im led to believe its a rotator cuff injury (I never got mine checked out) I did mine lifting 10 kilo weights doing lateral raises , Ive got the same pain and same grinding noise, had for 4 months or so now, its about 100 times better but I can still feel it and cant do certain lifts (shoulders for example)

Cheers I might take u it easy on the shoulders next week an see how I go.

Should I get it checked out you recon?

I think I might be just gettin old though haha.

If it is a rc injury there are a few good exercises you can do to build rc strength

Internal rotations
External rotations
Cubans

Also look up "shoulder dislocations" with a broom stick , It's really helps increase flexibility of the shoulder .

This guys is a pussy but His explanation of shoulder bio-mechanics is very useful to someone thinking their rotator cuff is the problem as a result of too much pushing.

Ok thanks guys. I might go to the dr and find out what it is.

Will look up those exercises and start using them to

It says to do the int- ex rotations with elastic if I don't have elastic how much weight should I put on them thanks

It says to do the int- ex rotations with elastic if I don't have elastic how much weight should I put on them thanks

Do you workout at a gym or at home ? I use cable machine , if you don't have access to one you can use a light weight an just do the movement holding it in your hand (3 to 4kg) , not as effective thou . Try use light weight and reps around the 20 mark , dont go heavy .

Yeah I go to a gym will use cables just with 5 kg or some thing cheers guys.

Has got a lot better over the day but is still there an i know it will get aggravated again so hopefully the exercises will help me out

Do you workout at a gym or at home ? I use cable machine , if you don't have access to one you can use a light weight an just do the movement holding it in your hand (3 to 4kg) , not as effective thou . Try use light weight and reps around the 20 mark , dont go heavy .

I have access to cables. How many times per week do you recommend I do these exercises as is on a light weight should I do these every time I go to the gym while I can't work out my shoulders. I go to gym about 3 times a week

When mine was still mega sore I did a different thing everyday, reverse delts was a good one I found, like the others said, really light, more or less go through the motions to get the shoulder moving. Months later for me I have to use the shoulder press machine because I can't raise a dumbbell of any weight straight up with my right arm, but for a while I couldn't even do dumbbell presses. I still get that grinding noise you mentioned when I use the cable machine for a bicep warmup like I used to, dunno why its just freaky. I can also feel it when I light bench for warm ups (in my bicep), heavy ones don't seem to bother it though, must be the slower movement or something.

I would drop front lateral raises and see whether you get sufficient growth from flat/incline benching PLUS overhead pressing.

Front lateral raises have only ever resulted in a niggle in the left shoulder for me and I suspect that will for you too.

Also, when I've had shoulders issues like that before I've dropped over head presses and replaced them with 3 sets each of int/ext rotations and built that up a bit, then reintroduced the over head pressing. Worked a treat.

Let us know how it goes.

/edit - re how often, I started doing the rotator cuff stuff before any shoulder or chest work (which depending on your split could be 1, 2 or 3 days a week).

Wow awesome guys I couldn't of asked for any more clearer advice

I feel I have a pretty good handle on it now and should be able to get some strength into my shoulder by following your advice.

Will let you know how it goes goin to the gym in a minute to start new split routine doing chest an tri and of course my shoulder exercises. Later guys

I would drop front lateral raises and see whether you get sufficient growth from flat/incline benching PLUS overhead pressing.

Front lateral raises have only ever resulted in a niggle in the left shoulder for me and I suspect that will for you too.

Also, when I've had shoulders issues like that before I've dropped over head presses and replaced them with 3 sets each of int/ext rotations and built that up a bit, then reintroduced the over head pressing. Worked a treat.

Let us know how it goes.

/edit - re how often, I started doing the rotator cuff stuff before any shoulder or chest work (which depending on your split could be 1, 2 or 3 days a week).

I'm at dr. now so will let u know how I go

Dr recons I hurt rotator cuff years ago an calcium has formed in the joint. I just have to live with it he recons just have to be careful wen I do shoulders

Well given that lots of people seem to have niggling shoulder injuries, all you can do is try strengthen it as best you can and work around it. Sorry if you've already said this, but have you been to the physio?

elastic can be bought from most sports stores like Rebel or A mart all sports and even places like Kmart.
I pinched one from my wifes pilates kit.
Just double it over and it's just enough resistance.

I warm up with it doing shoulder rotations at different angles.
Also do band pull aparts (I double up the elastic again so it's 4 layers)
and Cuban press was the best thing to help my rotator cuff issue.

Massage is also good.
if you want to do it yourself get a cricket ball (or start with a tennis ball if you want), put it on the floor and lay on it so it sits between your spine and shoulder blade... roll around working it till you get the ball all the way to the outside (rear delt / top of lats near armpit area)

or get a massage therapist to attack it.
there are a couple of good trigger points there which when massaged give you an awesomely painful relief.... that's the best description I can give it.. lol

I suggest you see a physio though.. they'll be able to work out which area is the weakest and possibly causing the issue.

Posture is another one (as I sit here slouched in my chair).

See a physio!