• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Active Hip Mobility

nice one CCM thanks for the links.

Doing a ton of hip stretching and mobility work.

Was doing spilt squats and getting funny looks for doing them in the bro curling area in the uni gym.
(lots of chicken legs probably a majority )

Nazzy, it might be on mobility WOD ... they've got some good ones I like to do too.

Micah, mobilityWOD rocks :)

lex, not many people at my gym seem to warmup properly before a workout tbh. quite weird

So to outline a plan of attack to get your hips going in the right direction:

1. Foam rolling: Super slow, hips, IT band and adductors – 5-10 minutes

2. Traction: Super slow and concentrated – 2 sets x 15 reps

3. Active Mobility: Core tense and focus on breathing – 2 x 8-12 reps each side

So what is number 2 and 3? I don't understand the link between 2 and 3 and what was shown in the hip mobility montage.

So to outline a plan of attack to get your hips going in the right direction:

1. Foam rolling: Super slow, hips, IT band and adductors – 5-10 minutes

2. Traction: Super slow and concentrated – 2 sets x 15 reps

3. Active Mobility: Core tense and focus on breathing – 2 x 8-12 reps each side

So what is number 2 and 3? I don't understand the link between 2 and 3 and what was shown in the hip mobility montage.

the montage includes videos for 2 and 3 :)

the link micah posted from mobility WOD is also a fantastic traction option.
and plenty more on mobilityWOD with bands and other stuff for hip mobility.

Have people tried squatting, to improve hip mobility?

What exactly is mobility?

This is another buzz word coined by Dan John.

no it is not just a buzz word. and sometimes, one is unable to squat correctly or comfortably without opening up the hips and improving joint mobility.

to say it's a buzz word only is a little misguided, Goosey.

Perhaps you've never experienced a problem of this nature or had a hip injury that has impacted on your hip mobility. Many of us have.
It's not all in the mind, in case you think it is.

Squatting is not the cure to everything, despite being an excellent exercise that everyone should do.
Sometimes, in order to be able to squat safely, efficiently and effectively, one needs to do a bit of prep work.

Ditto re ankle mobility come to think of it.

We aren't just improving hip mobility to improve our squatting though. Also, I'm thinking there is a reason why hip mobility exercises are prescribed as bodyweight exercises (other than the ridiculousness of eg duck walking with weights in your hands haha).

And thanks choc chilli