• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Active Hip Mobility

We aren't just improving hip mobility to improve our squatting though. Also, I'm thinking there is a reason why hip mobility exercises are prescribed as bodyweight exercises (other than the ridiculousness of eg duck walking with weights in your hands haha).

And thanks choc chilli

duck walks with weights? haha what next, duck walks on a rolling fitball?? :eek:

yes, have to agree with you. not just for squatting ... need it for everything. it's a basic functional thing.

Have people tried squatting, to improve hip mobility?

Winner.

Tried all sorts of mobility exercises for hips and ankles to help my squatting. None did anything.

Gave up and just squatted. 12 months later and both hip and ankle flexibility improved much more than any waste of time mobility exercise.

Last edited:
Winner.

Tried all sorts of mobility exercises for hips and ankles to help my squatting. None did anything.

Gave up and just squatted. 12 months later and both hip and ankle flexibility improved much more than any waste of time mobility exercise.

Are you still having problems with your knees?

Not saying mobility will fix yours... Certainly resolved my knee issue...

Mobility is basically self physio...If Mobility is useless.... Then the same could be said for physio as a whole...

To be honest I find mobility work a major pain in the ass... However it keeps me squatting so I choose to continue using it....

Notably if I squat once a week I could probably get away without doing mobility... If I squat 3 times a week I def need mobility and will regularly find problem areas that I have to work on...

Mobility is basically self physio...If Mobility is useless.... Then the same could be said for physio as a whole...

To be honest I find mobility work a major pain in the ass... However it keeps me squatting so I choose to continue using it....

Notably if I squat once a week I could probably get away without doing mobility... If I squat 3 times a week I def need mobility and will regularly find problem areas that I have to work on...

My knee problems are 100% an overuse injury from playing footy. If I wasn't playing footy I wouldn't have an issue. I have had it for 6 years now so had plenty of time to try every stretch and mobility exercise. None did a fucking thing. Squats are usually one thing that makes them better but squats and footy usually ends up being too much.

That's a huge stretch to try and link mobility exercise and Physio. One is stuff people self teach and self diagnose on youtube and the other is someone who spends years at Uni learning it.

I am the opposite the more I squat the better squats feel.

physios prescribe mobility as part of rehab.

just because it hasn't made a difference for some, does not mean it doesn't help many others.

it all depends on what your issue is and what your body responds to.

physios prescribe mobility as part of rehab.

just because it hasn't made a difference for some, does not mean it doesn't help many others.

it all depends on what your issue is and what your body responds to.

Exactly rehab. I have done rehab stuff before with a physio for the couple times I broke my ankle, dislocated my knee cap and any other serious injuries.

Now though according to these YouTube gurus pretty much everyone has some issue they should be doing some obscure mobility exercise for.

My issue is not really Physio prescribed mobility stuff it's self diagnosed, self taught mobility for usually pretty minimal to non existent problems.

Exactly rehab. I have done rehab stuff before with a physio for the couple times I broke my ankle, dislocated my knee cap and any other serious injuries.

Now though according to these YouTube gurus pretty much everyone has some issue they should be doing some obscure mobility exercise for.

My issue is not really Physio prescribed mobility stuff it's self diagnosed, self taught mobility for usually pretty minimal to non existent problems.

this thread is about real mobility issues.

btw, the mobilityWOD guy is not just a random guru, he's qualified.

That's a huge stretch to try and link mobility exercise and Physio. One is stuff people self teach and self diagnose on youtube and the other is someone who spends years at Uni learning it.

I am the opposite the more I squat the better squats feel.

I was introduced to mobility at PTC Sydney... Mobility work is central to what physio's do... There are a couple of physio's training there...

I had hip problems last year.... Another physio resolved it by getting me to sit on a tennis ball... Simple as that it worked...

With a bit of common sense you can apply self myofacial release to your problem areas and resolve a lot of issues yourself...

I still find it a pain in the ass to do... Can be quite time consuming...

I was introduced to mobility at PTC Sydney... Mobility work is central to what physio's do... There are a couple of physio's training there...

I had hip problems last year.... Another physio resolved it by getting me to sit on a tennis ball... Simple as that it worked...

With a bit of common sense you can apply self myofacial release to your problem areas and resolve a lot of issues yourself...

Again you are trying to compare the shit people look up on youtube, diagnose and treat themselves for there often imaginary problems with rehab stuff prescribed by physios. Totally different.

agree with this

Again you are trying to compare the shit people look up on youtube, diagnose and treat themselves for there often imaginary problems with rehab stuff prescribed by physios. Totally different.

Yes... Yes I am.... Cause the stuff ive seen on you tube is often by Physio's...

Why is it so hard to believe that a person can not self diagnose????

Its not like its some kind of voodoo...

Step one - Recognise a problem area
Step two - Check upstream and downstream to identify the cause
Step three - Figure out how to resolve the cause
Step four - Cant solve then go to physio

Yes... Yes I am.... Cause the stuff ive seen on you tube is often by Physio's...

Why is it so hard to believe that a person can not self diagnose????

Its not like its some kind of voodoo...

Step one - Recognise a problem area
Step two - Check upstream and downstream to identify the cause
Step three - Figure out how to resolve the cause
Step four - Cant solve then go to physio

Well that's got me fucked them.

Are you serious about self diagnosis?

Self diagnosis by unqualified people with minimal to zero idea what problem they have or what they should be looking for. Yeah awesome and is really likely to achieve a accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Well that's got me fucked them.

Are you serious about self diagnosis?

Self diagnosis by unqualified people with minimal to zero idea what problem they have or what they should be looking for. Yeah awesome and is really likely to achieve a accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Yeah man!

If I have a pain in my knee... Mobility basics are to look up stream and down stream to figure out whats pulling on the knee to fuck it up!

Its not rocket science... If you jump on a foam roller and mess around a bit eventually you find a muscle thats all knotted and twisted nearby...

From there you can pretty much assume that is the cause...

Self myfacial release directed at the area relieves that area...

Test retest the area...

If it doesnt fix it and you cant find any other obvious issues... Go to a physio...

From my perspecitve.... Dont automatically go to a physio for something you can resolve with a little bit of due dilligence...

Its not that hard to figure out where there is a muscle thats knotted...

But it is hard work sometimes to undo the fucker!!!

interesting...the more i squat, the better. since going back to squatting twice a week, im more flexible when cold and require much less mob work pre squatting.

interesting...the more i squat, the better. since going back to squatting twice a week, im more flexible when cold and require much less mob work pre squatting.

I tend to agree... I find that my squat depth and mobility improves during the middle of a cycle... But as things start to get heavier I find an increased need to resolve issues...

However in saying that.... i note that you are aware of your mobility,... And that you are actively monitoring it....

However in saying that.... i note that you are aware of your mobility,... And that you are actively monitoring it....

of course. :)
slight issue with my adductor that comes and goes. its being sorted. damn you hockey ball. damn you.

of course. :)
slight issue with my adductor that comes and goes. its being sorted. damn you hockey ball. damn you.

Lol...

Quads are easier to deal with...

Adductors requires lot a more effort for me... Foam roller doesn't usually do the trick... Generally.need to use a cricket ball and smash it..... Closely.followed with the foam roller...

This is just something that are a collection of thoughts based on what I've seen and read, right of wrong this is my thoughts on flexibility as a result of exercise.

And I'm not trying to sell anything and I have a little time this morning.

Exercise should increase flexibility...but it seldom does.
Proper full-range exercise will increase flexibility, but improper, mid range exercise may have an opposite effect.

Contrary to popular opinion the size of your muscle has absolutely nothing to do with your flexibility...but the method you use to biuld those muscles is important.

Distance runners normally have very little in the way of muscular size, so you expect them to be very flexible, but in fact quite the opposite is true, injuries are common among these blokes and are mostly a direct result of their in-flexibility.

In contrast, gymnasts are very muscular and very flexible.
So it should be clear that there is no relationship between muscular size and flexibility.

Flexibility is a result of stretching.

So exercises that involve stretching will increase flexibility....while exercises that do not involve stretching will not increase flexibility, will not, in fact, and this is interesting, even prevent a gradual loss of flexibility, may even produce a loss of flexibility.

Where possible exercises should involve stretching...but in practice, very few exercises do involve stretching.

In order to provide stretching, the range of movement of the exercise must actually exceed the possible range of movement.

*In effect, you must reach your limit of movement and still encounter resistance*

If it is possible to relax in the extended posisition of an exercise and remove the resistance, then stretching is not provided.

The bench press does not provides stretching... Because, at the bottom or the movement the wieght is supported by the chest
In contrast, a prperly performed dip exercise does provide stretching for the chest and shoulder muscles....because, in the low position, the resistance is not removed.

Regardless of your exciting level of flexibility, the resistance will still be imposed even when you have reached the limit of the movement.

And I said properly performed exercise.
It is also possible to perform the exercise incorrectly and it is usually performed incorrectly, and if so, then stretching is still not provided, I can give examples of this and examples of exercises that do and do not provide stretching.