• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Affordable Olympic Lifting Barbell

Drop Testing with 80kg

Threw a 10 + 20kg on each side both tests on rogue bars so bar is not a factor. (I wouldn't drop 80kg IRL i swear, this was for the video !)

Not enough difference for bounce to make a difference with purchasing IMHO.

Pendlay Econ (same as Rogue KG):

Again Faster (a touch more bounce, same noise):

Plate Comparisons

A couple of vids to show the subtle quality difference between AF and Pendlay/Rogue plates. the defect with the AF 5kg plate I'll just fix with a file later today, it would scratch bar sleeves if not treated but I don't think it is worth chasing up on waranty.

Finish:

Size / Width difference with 20kg plates:

I got my Again Faster Team Barbell today and i totally love it!

it is replacing a very ordinary force usa bar not designed for olympic lifting

I got my Again Faster Team Barbell today and i totally love it!

it is replacing a very ordinary force usa bar not designed for olympic lifting

Good onya. Whats the knurling like? And is there a centre knurling?

Looking to get some kit myself :)

Good onya. Whats the knurling like? And is there a centre knurling?

Looking to get some kit myself :)

There isnt any centre knurling and for me the knurling is perfect. Not too agressive at all

Spins really nice

I think it's great value considering everything comparable seems to be 550 dollars plus

Necro bump kunce!

So looking into buying my own barbell, did a quick search and found this thread.

Anyone had any experience using the AF bar? Seems like its considerably cheaper than the Force USA and Iron Edge bars, anyone know why? Is it vastly inferior?

Will mostly be used for deadlifting and squatting. I've been using the F-OLB15 which they have at one of the gyms I train at on a semi regular basis and really like that bar even considering it has no centre knurling it doesnt appear to have any noticeable effect on my squatting. Considering that - I dont squat any huge amounts of weight so maybe centre knurling isnt 100% necessary or should i just forget bars without centre knurling. Obviously though I'd want the 20kg version of whichever bar I go with.

Just looking for any further reviews / info from anyone with experience.

Or if anyone knows of any other brands similar to the above listed ones that would be worth looking at I'm happy to check them out.

Thanks.

Oly bars typically donthave centre knurling as it has the potential to graze your throat when you catch the bar. There are a few exceptions..

Have you looked at the pendlay bar range?

We have a few ironedge oly bars, they spin REALLY well...which I hate...! But I also havn't tried snatching with it either.

I much prefer the Uesaka bar, it is silky smooth, but way outside your price range, justifiably being a handmade on oly bar.

Last edited:
Rogue is about to release an Olympic bar which will quickly become the bar to have I believe. They have put a tonne of R and D into it. Check out the spin on their YouTube page

I've previously had the AF bar and Iron Edge bar. I used the AF bar for deadlifts and squats and the Iron Edge bar for Olympic lifting. I have a mate the broke his thumb and tore the tendon off the bone using an AF bar snatching because it doesn't spin freely enough.

I got rid of them all in favour of the Pendlay bearing bars, much better bars over all

As for the centre knurling, the Pendlay bars don't have it, along with some others, however for an Olympic lifting comp I believe the bars have to have the centre knurling

Thanks fellas... I have no intention of doing any Olympic type movements with it so that's not really an issue.

I will definitely check out the pendlay bars as both of you mentioned.

How did you find the AF bar for squatting and deadlifting because that's basically all id be using it for - maybe benching too but more than likely just squats and deadlifts.

As for the centre knurling, the Pendlay bars don't have it, along with some others, however for an Olympic lifting comp I believe the bars have to have the centre knurling

Makes sense.... The Uesaka bar has normal, fine, smooth, knurling for your hands, But in the centre the knurling is very smooth and offers very little grip. essentially just a bit of pattern..

Thanks fellas... I have no intention of doing any Olympic type movements with it so that's not really an issue.

I will definitely check out the pendlay bars as both of you mentioned.

How did you find the AF bar for squatting and deadlifting because that's basically all id be using it for - maybe benching too but more than likely just squats and deadlifts.

Ohh Ok, just go buy a power bar than, iron edge, or ABC make great bars, for this purpose, also centre knurling will be very usefull for squats, and lift offs for bench

Yeah my bad. I probably could have been a bit more specific with the way I phrased my question.

Thanks.