• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glute Ham bench - GHD (Quality)

Maxy

I want to buy a good quality glute bench.

I am willing to pay up to $1200 for it.

I dont want to buy chinese crap. (Before some of u get on your high horse i have an incline bench /preacher curl combo that wobbles a bit when its down flat and has a 1.5 inch sway incline with heavy dumbbell - $500 price and unuseable. Then bought a supposed commercial quality rack made in china which when set up could be swayed a small bit by a single finger of my 13 y/o son - the retailer was good enough to take it back). I want something that will last a lifetime and is is not tinfoil. I want a decent gauge steel and good quality cushion. I already have enough disposable gym equipment and dont want anymore)

Elitefts equipment is the quality i am after but shipping from US is more than the price of the bench.

Ironedge has just put out a ghd but the footplate is too small i think (I am worried about the toes hanging over and not getting a proper foothold). Ironedge is the sort of quality i am after.

I want Australian /US (really made in the USA) build.

Does anyone have any ideas please??

Last edited:
I have a force GHR. It's good enough quality and does the job fine.

I just find Glute hams overrated as an exercise. Would never buy again.

I just find Glute hams overrated as an exercise. Would never buy again.

This. They're great, but for a home gym the exercise is not sufficiently superior to good mornings, RDLs/SLDLs or hip thrusts to justify a separate piece of equipment that has quite a big footprint when you can just do the aforementioned exercises with only a barbell.

I have a force. Gets 50-100 sets a day on it, and had lasted 18 months.

When this one dies, I'll get a custom one made locally.

I have a force. Gets 50-100 sets a day on it, and had lasted 18 months.

When this one dies, I'll get a custom one made locally.

What do you think of those who say its an overrated exercise compared to GM's, RDLs etc?

You'll receive better stimulation using a barbell.

Stiff legged deadlift will more efficiantly and safely strengthen the leg bicep.
If you have poor strength you will need to bend the leg slightly, but with continued use you will be able to properly perform this exercise with straight legs while maintaining your spines natural curvature.

The GHD will only apply direct resistance for roughly 150mm over 800mm, for me, this a piece of equipment which is equivalent to a smith machine and probably have ruined 1000 knees for each one they've helped.

But this is just my opinion and opinions will vary.

I could SLDL 170kg 5x5 - and do not 1 GHR......

I now do them banded for 12's.

Where do you get 150mm from goosey? They are adjustable so I thought that number would vary a lot.

I'm not saying they are a bad exercise or don't do anything. I would probably do them if I had more time to spend in the gym but they just don't get high enough on my list to make the cut. I'm not replacing squats, deads, SLDLs ect to do GHRs.

Also I don't see GHRs being make or break to a persons gains in the squat and deadlift.

To be totally honest and I know this wont be a popular thought here. I have been using the leg press at the footy club and I think I would get more benefit from that than the GHR.

I could SLDL 170kg 5x5 - and do not 1 GHR......

I now do them banded for 12's.

Where do you get 150mm from goosey? They are adjustable so I thought that number would vary a lot.

If you don't mind Sticky, could you post a video of you SLDL's please.

As with most exercise there is a level of skill involved, but you could also turn this around and say the SLDL had enabled you to perform this (GHD)exercise and not hurt yourself?

The distance the hip travels would be roughly 800mm *around* the knee, through that movement direct resistance is applied to roughly 150mm regardless of position.

I am 125kg and the force USA ones do not wobble or move when I use them. The adjustment screws are a pain in the arse as they screw into holes rather than just against the bare metal. But, this does make them 100% secure.

Mine wobbles like a pissed hillbilly.

The locking screws do not work that well to keep them stable.

Doesn't affect the exercise though.

I got the Cyberfit one, she's pretty sturdy even when my husband uses it.

Kaz,

this is close to what i want except maybe the footplate is too small.

do your husbands toes extend over the edge of the footplate at any point in his sets?

cheers