• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glute Ham bench - GHD (Quality)

Mine wobbles like a pissed hillbilly.

The locking screws do not work that well to keep them stable.

Doesn't affect the exercise though.

i just dont want another piece of crap in my home gym if i can avoid it. and at this time i can. so i figure i will steer away from the force usa.

gets to the stage in this country where you are paranoid about the quality of everything you buy. And I figure i am there!

i am going out on the weekend to check out the cyberfit gh. will advise.

cheers

The force USA one will handle anything that the home gym can throw at it.

If you don't want another pice of crap taking up space don't get a GHD.

The GHD and reverse hyper are only as popular as they are because of westside overhyping them.

Only briefly and err.. wasn't really strong enough to do a rep :)... but regardless, could not sufficently heavy leg curls work for the second part of the movement, and the first part is just a back extension right?

There's two ways of doing it: with or without back extension.

When we did it, it was without back extension. You use your knees as a fulcrum then drop down to parallel then pull yourself back up with your hammies. You have to keep the hips completely locked (ie extended) so it also trains your glutes, albeit isometrically. When it gets hard the hips want to unlock so you can use your back to help, but thats not the idea.

The difference with a leg curl is it only involves knee flexion - the hip is anchored. Hamstrings not only flex the knee, they extend the hip. With the GHR, both functions of the hamstring are being trained.

There have been a number of EMG studies done and GHR is pretty much unparalleled when it comes to hamstring activation. SLDLs and GMs are right up there as well though. The problem with SLDLs and GMs is that they load up your back too.

Glute-ham is a pretty bad name though, because glute activation on a GHR is pretty low on the scale - they only act as stabilisers and only if you are strict and keep your hips locked. Even body weight bird dogs, glute bridges, hip thrusts are harder on your glutes than GHR. GHR is really a hamstring exercise.

So, if you really want an accessory exercise for the hamstrings, GHR is great if you have the luxury of space and money. They are very very humbling. But that said, weighted GMs do an excellent job too, particularly if you use a very close stance, keep a hard arch and sit right back. You can also use bands (from under your feet to around your neck) to increase the difficulty for the hamstrings. Band or kettlebell pull throughs are another alternative that are easier on the back.

If you want a glute exercise, don't do GHRs, do barbell hip thrusts with or without bands.

Once you start using bands in the GHR, your glutes get worked much, much harder.

If your doing BW, glutes cop nothing noticeable.

I'm using the orange powerbands, with very strict form.

I can tell you, your glutes get smashed.

This is the only specific glute work I'm doing trying to correct a weakness.
I'll see how it pans out leading into June.

If you prescribe to the idea that for proper exercise you must apply *direct* resistance to the muscle worked from a fully contracted, to a fully extended Pre stretched position then not only would the muscle need less exercise, it would be more flexible, which also means stronger, especially in sport where the activity will load that muscle with incredible impact forces at any point of angle.

If you think of an exercise that properly applies these factors then it would seem obvious that for a hamstring developer, the GHP falls short, adding bands improves the exercise somewhat as the load increase as the muscle contract, which is the strongest point, but....this actually makes for an Inefficiant exercise, suppose we apply increasing resistance as the muscle extends, using this theory the muscle will actually become even stronger, so not only only do we need direct resistance, but variable resistance.

The Ghd is an exercise, will it produce results probably, will a leg curl be more efficiant and safer?
Yes.

I'm beginning to believe, that if one can and has not contraindicated then they must include a leg curl and extension for a healthy functional lower body.

The leg press can also be a saving grace for most.

Last edited:
GHR Developer

I want to buy a good quality glute bench.
I am willing to pay up to $1200 for it.
Does anyone have any ideas please??

We've got the this GHR Developer for $649, feel free to PM for a better price.

Also has a massive footplate.

Only briefly and err.. wasn't really strong enough to do a rep :)... but regardless, could not sufficently heavy leg curls work for the second part of the movement, and the first part is just a back extension right?

Everyone always thinks they're going to be real wobbly so I made a quick vid to prove em wrong (110kg @ 6'8"): GHR in action