• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How heavy is heavy for DB wrist curls?

Are you training for arm wrestling Jeff?

Other forms of strength training are interesting... Arm wrestling is a bit of fun but once you get to an advanced level it becomes a bit like equipped benching, lots of risk of broken bones... in some positions.

Not exactly. Main focus at the moment is staying injury free and building my strength back up.

I've had a some bad injuries in the last few years and completely stopped training. Now I'm so detrained I'm treating it like I was starting from scratch.

I'd love to get into armwrestling but there are 2 problems: it's not very popular in Sydney, and it's not the best choice of sport for someone with shoulder problems and loose ligaments.

If I had no injuries I'd be training for armwrestling and strongman. I find them both more interesting than powerlifting, especially equipped powerlifting. I still like powerlifting, it's just not my #1 pick.

At the moment I'm rehabbing my shoulder after surgery last year so I'm pretty restricted in what I can do. So I got interested in grip and forearm training again. It's about the only stuff I can push hard with and not have to worry about the shoulder.

There was a grip training thread about the merits of captains of crush a while back.

To summarise:
I can close the CoC 2.5, I can't hold onto 200kg
Sticky can't close the CoC 1, he can hold 350kg anyday.

Dont' get too into them, bit of a waste unless you do other stuff to IMO.

Yeah grippers are a very specific movement and I don't get a big crossover from grippers to deadlifting either.

I got into them when I was younger and certified with the #3 about 10 years ago, but my grip was still a weak point for farmers walk and deadlifting for reps. I'm of the opinion that it does help but it's not the first thing to turn to if you can't hang on to a deadlift.

Still, it was cool being able to close a #3, rip a deck of cards or snap a nail.

It's all in good fun. I've started just with wrist work and plan to add thick bar and pinch grip to the mix once the shoulder's healed a bit better. I've never pinched a pair of 45lb or 20kg plates so I might make a run at that.

What do you like for forearm exercises?

The 'upper' side of my forearms are weak as piss. I can bicep curl 55-60kg with a normal grip but I cant reverse curl or hold anything over 35kg cause my wrists give out. I also can't really do reverse bicep curls to strengthen it up cause of elbow issues.

I've been doing 'reverse wrist curls' but going is slow.

If you're weak at barbell reverse curls then I would do them
You need to use an EZ bar for them to get the right wrist positioning

I've never really done a whole lot of wrist-specific training. Only really dabbled with wrist stuff but used to train my grip a lot.

Reverse wrist curls I do but only with very light weight. I've always found it a bit of an awkward movement. Thinking about it now, it might work a bit better with only a partial ROM - from a straight wrist to extended and back again. I'll give that a shot next time I'm in the gym.

Do you have a wrist roller, Joe? Could be a good way for you to train wrist extension. I just use a piece of 2" steel pipe and do them standing on a bench, with arms down at waist level. Focuses the work on your forearms more than holding it out in front.

If you've got one that can go over the end of a barbell that'd be even better.