• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscle Meals Direct

seriously just make your own. it'll be cheaper and its really not that hard. having said that though im pretty sure i remember someone on AGJ forum ordered some and reviewed them and they were mediocre at best

If you choose a few options, it's $242 a week for 6 days food.. add a couple of protein shakes and your own food for sunday and you're looking at a $300/wk food budget!

I guess if you'r extremely lazy or busy and have a heap of spare cash just laying around then it could be an option, but really, as others have said it would be far easier doing it yourself.

I agree with the above, but why not have a think about the costs involved.

Let's take Woolworths prices as a guide. On the 6 day a week, 4x 200g per day. You are roughly getting 5kg of meat a week.

Chicken is $11/kg.
Beef is $20/kg
Tuna is $5/kg
Salmon is $27/kg
Kangaroo is $17/kg

That is $80 in meat. I'm not sure how much you would get out of a 1kg bag of rice, but let's allocate $5-10 (but to be fair this could be slightly higher).

Add in sauces and veges, you're safely into the $100-120 mark.

You then need to put an hourly figure on your time spent cooking 24 meals.

Assuming the above is even close to accurate, it starts to become worth for it for a single, busy professional with a little more disposable income who wants to get in good shape. At the very least, I'd prefer it to the morsels on offer from Lite 'n' Easy.

It's not necessary for me personally I don't see the need to eat 4 meals a day of meat.

7/10

Chicken is $11/kg.
Beef is $20/kg
Tuna is $5/kg
Salmon is $27/kg
Kangaroo is $17/kg

Thats some expensive meat right there.....

I pay no more than 7.99/kg for chicken and wouldn't even pay $20/kg for eye fillet steak....

But either way i see what your saying in all of this, i think also these meals are sort of aimed at contest prep as well, you can give them the macros you want and get your meals accordingly, so from that point of view could be worth it if prepping for a BBing comp or something similar as it takes out ne variable and something less you have to think about while dieting.

woah woah woah..

ease up guys, never did i say this was for me, nor am i considering it..
as stated earlier friend told me yesterday and i was sussing it out on his behalf..

me personally i wouldnt do it i buy/prepare all my own meals..
he on the other hand is a different story.

Well like we have said, if cooking and nutrition isnt really your thing and you dont mind spending the money then i would think it may be a reasonable option, given you dont have to cook or worry about it and you can get the macros you are after in your meals all pre-prepared for you.

As for taste i cant really comment as i havent tried them.

(Those prices were just taken from the woolies site - admittedly though I generally pay about $10/kg for chicken. Steak I'm not sure, but I expect to pay $10 and not get close to a kilo)

Also- a friend linked me to a thread on aussie gym junkies about muscle meals. There are some photos of it - doesn't look great. I particularly liked the comments about "how did the cat go with it".

Last edited:
Except you don't, you cook just a few meals with 4-5 portions each that you package in separate containers/baggies.

What he said. It's not rocket science, really. I go to Costco and bulk buy lean mince and make up vegetable and meat rissoles, they also have bulk packs of fresh (and boned!!) salmon, multipacks of tins of tuna etc.

Favourite though is to cook up 2 packs of chicken thigh fillets at a time etc and just add a quick salad, steamed veg or throw a combination in a wrap before work and away you go, take an extra fillet for the 4.30pm snack etc. You can do lots of different marinades to keep it interesting.

It's getting bigger and bigger. Loads of professionals are using muscle meals and there are decent reviews however it doesn't seem it was cooked the night before.

Also the options are limited if u are just a chicken or fish eater. However said the cost factor is important.

I think it's not that highly priced.

Best thing i ever did was a chest freezer and a Vacuum sealer

Bulk buy and date/store away, Can even marinate then freeze.

Once a month bulk cook rice and mash potatoes into 200g containers.

After a while you work out what takes time, and then see what you can do to become more efficient.

Each day i will spend 10 min to think about dinner and what i will need/have

Eventually your just heating up/cooking fresh meat. a 10 sec salad and blanch some vegies aswell.

The price doesn't look to bad especially for the convenience.

Sent my little brother the link, reckon its something he'll give it a try.

I got $308 for feeding me and me alone for a week, we only spend $200 and the whole family. Anything that is $10 a kilo from the butcher x 5 so its $50, a roast or T-bones (or rump or something) on top, if not a couple kilos of chicken fillets, ads up to $70, another $40 from the fruit and veg market next door to the butcher and we can basically live off that if we had too.

I think I need to rethink my shopping because my wife and I spend between $175 and $210 a week on groceries at woolies. Maybe try do what you do, but add in another $40 of things from woolies (as $150 is acceptable for me) such as (rice) milk, honey, nat pb, egg whites, oats, rice, spaghetti, yoghurt. Hmm.

I think I need to rethink my shopping because my wife and I spend between $175 and $210 a week on groceries at woolies. Maybe try do what you do, but add in another $40 of things from woolies (as $150 is acceptable for me) such as (rice) milk, honey, nat pb, egg whites, oats, rice, spaghetti, yoghurt. Hmm.

wollies/coles is your first mistake mate. be friend a good butcher and hit the vegie markets up.

Or just self serve :)

Yeah i think you need to look into things a little, for the Wife, 3yo son and myself we might spend about $100 a week at a supermarket, and then every second week or so will goto a bulk meat butcher and get about $100 worth of meat, I buy whole rump steaks for about $9/kg or scotch fillet for about $12, then 20 chicken breasts at between 6 - 8/kg.

We figure if we are going to eat we are going to eat well so always make sure our food both fruit, veg and meat is good quality.