• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WA State Titles 1990

vonfram88

Dug up some old tapes I had in the garage.

Here is one of WA's favorite sons doing an effortless 320kg @ 100 in the 1990 state titles. Don't see any canvas suits here!

He went on to set a new state bench record that day of 227.5kg, and ended the day with a 320kg deadlift.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnVST2keec&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Legends of WA Powerlifting - YouTube[/ame]

He did quite well in bodybuilding and was sometimes seen at Golds Gym in Northbridge in the Waddell era.

Al lifted earlier that day in the 82.5. That's about 25 years he's been competing! and he doesn't seem to have lost anything. Inspirational stuff.

The one and only Mike Hubon. One of the Rego's at the back. Shows the inexperience of those on this forum that no one knows. The 80s and 90s were when the real lifting happened in Australia.

Correct. Go to the top of the class. He was lifted out of the racks by Bruce Waddell during the bench press at that particular competition.

Michael posted the highest total that day, even out performing the legendary Terry Lonsdale, who seemed a bit out of form that day. I think that may also have been one of Sue Jordan's last contests (may have lifted in 93?)

The one and only Mike Hubon. One of the Rego's at the back. Shows the inexperience of those on this forum that no one knows. The 80s and 90s were when the real lifting happened in Australia.

Yep, it certainly was.... The depth and quality of lifters in WA was excellent. Arguably, WA had the strongest team in Australia during this era. Paul and Sue Jordan, Shane Blood, Wadell, Kapica, MacGowan, Klenner, Koykka etc...
Pity the sport was nearly wiped out here in WA after the forced split... Some of the younger lifters today could really of benefited from their experience and humility.
Adam Coe was still in Victoria then.

And in the 82.5 - looking fine.

I'll take it down if it causes offense. I will need to be nice to this guy if I lift this year and want a white light from him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItX9_ml2OtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player]1990 WA state titles 2 - YouTube[/ame]

thanks for the footage of Alan, I'll pass it on to him.
Dates have been finalised for WA IPF comps this year, as per website except the July one has moved to Sunday 28th July, as couldn't get the main hall at Belmont on a Saturday.
Possibly also a Super total comp mid December which will be a combined Olympic and Powerlifting comp, will need to be member of WWA and PA to lift in that one.

Great to have this footage - this becomes our history and tradition & without it the legends of the past slowly evaporate. Other than oral histories passed around by those who were there at the time, it seems like there's precious little historical legend for newcomers to draw upon (it's a bit rough to castigate the young blokes of today for their inexperience; most of them were rather busy being born when this was happening).

It's be nice to have some names and stories attached to these, for us newcomers now and in the years to come.

The last bloke still lifts. Over 25 years of competing and no slowing down. For the newcomers, that's a lesson. There are no shortcuts.

A crowd favorite on the day in masters division. I think he ended up with 260-ish on the squat.

He had been in the papers over here as a "natural lifter lifting in nature" pictured with a set of home made concrete weights at his outdoor set-up in the north west of WA. Probably hanging out with the alternative lifters brigade now?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdezyhqnCUg&feature=youtube_gdata_player]1990 WA state titles 3 - YouTube[/ame]