• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ironmaster quick lock dumbbells

I find them great to be honest, Not as good as a set of fixed DB's, but not $6K either...

Much better than spinlocks as they stay locked on and have a flat end for setting them on your thighs as you get them into place for benching.

Not slow to change, but not ultra speedy either, particularly as you cross the original 80? lb max and use the 120lb extension for weights from 80-120 (ie changing from say 70 to 90 lbs per DB is relatively slow, but not horribly so.

They are really solid and well put together, and in particular if you are currently lifting less than the starter kit goes to, then a great option.

I find them great to be honest, Not as good as a set of fixed DB's, but not $6K either...

Much better than spinlocks as they stay locked on and have a flat end for setting them on your thighs as you get them into place for benching.

Not slow to change, but not ultra speedy either, particularly as you cross the original 80? lb max and use the 120lb extension for weights from 80-120 (ie changing from say 70 to 90 lbs per DB is relatively slow, but not horribly so.

They are really solid and well put together, and in particular if you are currently lifting less than the starter kit goes to, then a great option.

Great advice thanks!

Sounds like they are the way to go then. I was going to get the expansion kit as well, as my bench is just above their limit now, and one arm dumbbell rows are definitely over it. Space is a factor as I use my shed for a few other things, and I like the small footprint they appear to have. Cheers, J.

You will need decent space on both sides to make it easier to get to the plates which will speed your changes. but they are pretty compact.

I think they are the best adjustables around really at the moment, PowerBlocks are quicker to adjust, but you have to have your hand inside them, which feels odd and you can't drop them.... The ironmasters feel more solid and more like a traditional DB.

I've got a set and enjoy them. As nightfalltech said, they're not super quick to change but are super stable and don't dig into your thighs when resting them. I'd like to have the 120lb upgrade but don't use dumbbells enough to warrant the expenditure at this stage.

I had a pair and loved them. I also got a second pair of spare handles and the 120 lb add on kit.

I used to leave one set with 20kgs set up so if I wanted big weights it wasn't too much of a drama adding on the rest.

I really liked them and recommend them.

As said you will need a fair bit of space either side to assist in setting them up and stripping them down as when you get to the top end of the weight they completely fill the stand.

I ended up selling them though and bought a set of fixed rubber coated ones from 10 to 50kgs, but that was because the wife started
Training people and we needed to save time from changing weights each set.

Overall a very well built product.

I had a pair and loved them. I also got a second pair of spare handles and the 120 lb add on kit.

I used to leave one set with 20kgs set up so if I wanted big weights it wasn't too much of a drama adding on the rest.

I really liked them and recommend them.

As said you will need a fair bit of space either side to assist in setting them up and stripping them down as when you get to the top end of the weight they completely fill the stand.

I ended up selling them though and bought a set of fixed rubber coated ones from 10 to 50kgs, but that was because the wife started
Training people and we needed to save time from changing weights each set.

Overall a very well built product.

Thanks for this, I haven't purchased yet, stupidly busy week. gym direct have a 10 to 45 from memory for about $600 more than the iron masters with the add on. Doing some numbers but if the finances stretch then they maybe the final choice but looks like I can't go wrong with the im's.

I ended up going the IM's with the expansion pack and the kettle bell handle from Sam's Fitness. Space in the shed to fit the car and the $ saved made it the best choice for now. If I get jack of them and trade up I can always sell them on, but happy with the decision..

They are a good product, down the line i'm actually considering getting fixed DB's from 27.5 - 60+ KG but still using the ironmasters for everything under 27.5.