• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chin-up goals

Weighted chin-ups (for 6-8 reps) Men Women
A good start. Bodyweight. *
Very good, strong Bodyweight + 10kg Bodyweight
Excellent, rare Bodyweight + 22kg Bodyweight + 7kg
Superlative Bodyweight + 35kg Bodyweight + 14kg

For reps at body weight. Men. Women
A good start. 5. 1
Demonstrating basic fitness. 10. 3
Very good, strong. 15. 6
Excellent, rare. 20. 9
Superlative. 25. 12

From dead hang to full contraction, pause briefly, then slowly lower yourself down
Be especially careful to lower yourself Slowly the last few INCHES, when you reach the bottom pause briefly and then squeeze yourself off the bottom for the next rep.

Last edited:
Basic fitness is 10 chinups? .. thats a big ask for most people over perhaps 90kg, achievable, but i wouldn't call that basic.

Agree on those. I've gone from Excellent to Very Good over Christmas with all the dips and biscuits that were handed around.

If you can't do 1x10 of chin ups at your weight, perhaps that suggests you haven't achieved a basic level of fitness/need to reduce your weight until you can do so. I don't think this is a completely unreasonable requirement personally.

For reps at body weight

For men

A good start. 5
Demonstrating basic fitness. 10
Very good, strong. 15
Excellent, rare. 20
Superlative. 25

For reps at body weight Women

A good start. 1
Demonstrating basic fitness. 3
Very good, strong. 6
Excellent, rare. 9
Superlative. 12

Weighted chin-ups (for 6-8 rep)

Men
Very good, strong. Bodyweight + 10kg
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 22kg
Superlative. Bodyweight + 35kg

Women
A good start. ?
Very good, strong. Bodyweight
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 7kg
Superlative, Bodyweight + 14kg

Last edited:
Goose, does it matter if you prefer neutral grip to save one's wrists because they don't like underhand?

then again, what's the same rundown for an overhand grip pull up?

For reps at body weight

For men

A good start. 5
Demonstrating basic fitness. 10
Very good, strong. 15
Excellent, rare. 20
Superlative. 25

For reps at body weight Women

A good start. 1
Demonstrating basic fitness. 3
Very good, strong. 6
Excellent, rare. 9
Superlative. 12

Weighted chin-ups (for 6-8 rep)

Men
Very good, strong. Bodyweight + 10kg
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 22kg
Superlative. Bodyweight + 35kg

Women
A good start. ?
Very good, strong. Bodyweight
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 7kg
Superlative, Bodyweight + 14kg

Nice. Only problem is favors little guys a lot.

I know with footy training tests in pre season most of the little guys easily bang out 15-20 or more reps without ever stepping foot in a gym.

FYI - that ant me. Some google random.

I can do 12-15 in one set. I often do 50 in a session starting with 10,10 then 5's.

Does anyone get pain near the elbow doing palms away pull ups or reverse curls? (I do on the left, can't do em etc.)

Basic fitness is 10 chinups? .. thats a big ask for most people over perhaps 90kg, achievable, but i wouldn't call that basic.

Fuck me we are talking chinups not pull ups if you can't bust out 10 chinups @90kg your in pretty shitty shape.

Pullups are ALOT harder.

Edit: I always thought it was the other way around and a chinup was a wide overhand grip, Goosey you can sleep well tonight knowing you taught me something today. For anyone that reads my log when I said wide grip chins I meant overhand pull ups.

Last edited: