• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chin-up goals

Unfortunately my shoulder is not thanking me today for the rows... External rotation is sort of painful.
I get the same problem and it starts clicking, ive been experimenting with band pull parts daily and they seem to be helping. Could be worth a try.

I get the same problem and it starts clicking, ive been experimenting with band pull parts daily and they seem to be helping. Could be worth a try.

That's what I get. Do you find at all if you do the following it is painful - hold onto a door frame and sort of pull on it really hard in a dumbell row motion - then suddenly let go. It's something you might do in rock climbing, (holding onto a hold to pull yourself into the wall, then suddenly you come off) and it kills me.

I also get clicking on close grip bench press, or benching without an arch.

At the moment I'm sore so definitely no band pull aparts or stretches of any kind till it's better. I've read this is bad especially if it's shoulder instability, which I think it might be.

That's what I get. Do you find at all if you do the following it is painful - hold onto a door frame and sort of pull on it really hard in a dumbell row motion - then suddenly let go. It's something you might do in rock climbing, (holding onto a hold to pull yourself into the wall, then suddenly you come off) and it kills me.

I also get clicking on close grip bench press, or benching without an arch.

At the moment I'm sore so definitely no band pull aparts or stretches of any kind till it's better. I've read this is bad especially if it's shoulder instability, which I think it might be.
I tried that and there is a small abit of discomfort but nothing to worry about for me. For me I think it's caused from the pullups, I found I wasnt keeping my shoulders blades back so at the bottom they were going foward, keeping them back during the pull ups has reduce the amount of pain I get in the shoulder. Im not doctor or expert though so I've just been experimenting with stuff Ive found online from experienced coaches.

Something I saw on Jason Ferruggia's blog awhile back was this

"One final note I should make is that the amount of chins you do should be evened out with an equal amount of rowing motion exercises (face pulls, band pull aparts, inverted rows, etc.) for the upper back.

If you don’t do that you could end up with internally rotated shoulders and a host of other problems you’d want to avoid."
The Shocking Truth About Chin Ups - How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet | How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet

Best Recovery Exercises You’re Probably Not Doing

For me when I went through my training log I found I was doing alot more pressing than pulling reps so thats why I started doing daily band pull aparts, from my understanding you want to do more pulling than pressing reps to keep your shoulders healthy. I guess all you can do is rest it and maybe try some band pull aparts/face pulls as a rehab exercise.

I did chins for ages without rows and developed 'thoracic kyphosis'. Common among rock climbers.

Interesting what that article says about grip and shoulder problems. I'll try a neutral grip from now on.

I agree. I do all of my chins neutral grip now except for when I actually want to go for a 1rm. Better for shoulders and elbows and because it's slightly harder I don't need to use as much weight either. (not too sure how much weight my roof mounted chinup bar can hold :p But it's been tested to 125kg so far.)

I agree. I do all of my chins neutral grip now except for when I actually want to go for a 1rm. Better for shoulders and elbows and because it's slightly harder I don't need to use as much weight either. (not too sure how much weight my roof mounted chinup bar can hold :p But it's been tested to 125kg so far.)

what grip do you use for muscle ups?

Konstantin Konstantinovs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLl8rGhJvE]55 pullups - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah...ok...time to possibly start a riot here.

This may not be the right thread for it but hey....

I have noticed a lot of these cross fit type exercises claiming to do great numbers but i never see them dead hang, they always drop weights without doing the negative, etc.

Now my limited amateur experience (in other words all self taught with no proper guidance) makes me think that dropping bars is acceptable when powerlifting. When doing weights for shape the negative is possibly the most important bit?

Am i in the wrong thread and / or am i completely alone on this one?

Yeah...ok...time to possibly start a riot here.

This may not be the right thread for it but hey....

I have noticed a lot of these cross fit type exercises claiming to do great numbers but i never see them dead hang, they always drop weights without doing the negative, etc.

Now my limited amateur experience (in other words all self taught with no proper guidance) makes me think that dropping bars is acceptable when powerlifting. When doing weights for shape the negative is possibly the most important bit?

Am i in the wrong thread and / or am i completely alone on this one?

Don't stress bout it.
Let them do their stuff we'll do ours.

mega kipping lol

i can't even kip properly. guessing this is a good thing :)

its pretty easy, its just a thrust of the hips same as with a kettlebell swing then basically horizontally pull yourself to the bar. To do another, consiciously push yourself away from the bar then repeat.

Highly dont recommend it if you like keeping your scapulas in one piece.

its pretty easy, its just a thrust of the hips same as with a kettlebell swing then basically horizontally pull yourself to the bar. To do another, consiciously push yourself away from the bar then repeat.

Highly dont recommend it if you like keeping your scapulas in one piece.

same.

I didn't know it was bad for your shoulders either so that gives me one more reason not to try!

guys my left scapula would not like it much at all!

plus I can't poke fun at kippers and then give it a red hot go, can I?

lolz ... happy sticking with a non-kip mode :D

I've been doing shoulder-width pullups for a while.. I thought I'd switch to some hammer-grip chins, but I did them from a dead hang each time. It's funny how even though you are taking off the tension for that period, it is so much harder.

Kipping is lame, why not just call it cheating like we do on every other exercise where you use momentum.

I've been doing shoulder-width pullups for a while.. I thought I'd switch to some hammer-grip chins, but I did them from a dead hang each time. It's funny how even though you are taking off the tension for that period, it is so much harder.

Kipping is lame, why not just call it cheating like we do on every other exercise where you use momentum.

That was the point of my earlier question exactly.