• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chin-up goals

just dont train legs, they are just excess weight that wont help with your chin ups lol.

when i was skinny (i still am but 15kg heavier) i could easily knock out 15 reps now i struggle to get to 10 with perfect form due to the extra weight.

Goose, does it matter if you prefer neutral grip to save one's wrists because they don't like underhand?

then again, what's the same rundown for an overhand grip pull up?

An "underhand" supinated grip choc allows one to achieve the greatest range possible for the muscle that it is targeting.

If your wrists hurt from doing these, again assuming that you have been doing supinated grip chin-ups, try a slightly wider grip.*
In general, experiment with grip width, and if you don’t find a good width, try another grip variant.
I also prefer neutral as it is kinder to my elbows and wrists.
But I do both during the course of a week.

The old overhand, wider grip tends to work the teres major harder, which is why people will “feel” their back more.*
The teres major is small relative to the lats, so for most people this variation will not be as good for overall gains in mass and strength, but it is still a useful variant.*

Nice. Only problem is favors little guys a lot.

I know with footy training tests in pre season most of the little guys easily bang out 15-20 or more reps without ever stepping foot in a gym.

I think if you use it as a bench mark it could be useful.
I also knew one bloke that had a very well developed upper body and very skinny legs that could also belt out a lot of reps.

An "underhand" supinated grip choc allows one to achieve the greatest range possible for the muscle that it is targeting.

If your wrists hurt from doing these, again assuming that you have been doing supinated grip chin-ups, try a slightly wider grip.*
In general, experiment with grip width, and if you don’t find a good width, try another grip variant.
I also prefer neutral as it is kinder to my elbows and wrists.
But I do both during the course of a week.

The old overhand, wider grip tends to work the teres major harder, which is why people will “feel” their back more.*
The teres major is small relative to the lats, so for most people this variation will not be as good for overall gains in mass and strength, but it is still a useful variant.*

I usually do neutral or overhand grip. Lately, I've started playing with axe grip again, for fun.
With overhand I've widened the grip as things got easier but never bothered playing with grip width with supinated grip. Will give it a try.

Farken hell, do you people even know the difference between a chin up and pullup??
Topic is 'chin ups' and the question gets asked, "which grip?"
Fuuaaarrrkkk!

Nice. Only problem is favors little guys a lot.

I know with footy training tests in pre season most of the little guys easily bang out 15-20 or more reps without ever stepping foot in a gym.

How many can you do with bodyweight Bazz?

I think you're roughly my height/weight? I'm 194cm, 110kg... Can probably do 15 or so strict at the moment. 15+ if I could lose the christmas bulge.

Fkn love pull ups :) can't do it palms facing me tho, it kills my Elbows, I can get 19 pull ups tho and 6 with 20 kgs in my belt. I say burn the lat pull down !!!! My old man is 62 and regurely pumps out sets of 25 plus. He's a Vietnam vet tho but in good shape

I don't think 10 chin-ups demonstrates fitness. It demonstrates strength, muscular development maybe, but fitness???

I've just recently got to a stage where I can do 15 pull ups and 20 chin ups. I typically train both doing 4 alternate sets to failure with 2min rest between sets. I rarely do any other back exercise. Will be adding weight from now on, they really are an awesome exercise.

I can do about 15 chin ups but went to the park the other day, tried to do a muscle up, got nothing. How do you even practice these if you can't get Up??

Pretty sure a 5 year old kid put shit on me too....

I can do about 15 chin ups but went to the park the other day, tried to do a muscle up, got nothing. How do you even practice these if you can't get Up??

Pretty sure a 5 year old kid put shit on me too....

Practice chest to bar pullups, they require a bit more power.
Practice negatives, eg start at the top of a dip and lowering yourself slowly to the bottom of a pullup.

tried to do a muscle up, got nothing. How do you even practice these if you can't get Up??
Probably what wingman said, plus I reckon just keep on doing unweighted and weighted pullups and dips. It's almost like the two combined, so that would be my advice, take it or leave it, heh. :)

For the record, I can do about 10 strict pullups, last I tried. Chinups, more than that. At the moment, I'm using about 12.5kg (plus a farking heavy chain! :p) for chins, but we'll see next time... Dips I can use more weight than that, for sure. And rip out heaps of reps, if I felt like it (which I don't, haha). Have never tried a muscle-up. Hm...

Last edited:
apparently, I'm excellent haha. Thanks Goosey :p

My record is 13 muscle ups when I was 79kg.

To practice you want to do explosive pullups bringing chest to bar not chin. Keep up the regular progressive overload of weighted chins. WHen you can get chest to bar level, I'd start practicing with either a band under the knee or learn a kipping one first. You need to know when to get your body weight forward and the quick flick of the wrist. Remember to use false grip.

Neutral grip chinups are harder than supinated grip chinups but are MUCH nicer on elbows/shoulders for me.

I've been getting stuck into assisted dips andchin ups/pull ups.
Rather weak over head so working hard on these and overhead press to strengthen up.

up to
4x8 sets of assisted dips - 40kg assistance - 103kg body weight
4x8 sets of assisted chinups/pull ups - alternated - 40kg assistance

Working up to 5x 10 then decrease to 30kg assistance and work it up

To practice you want to do explosive pullups bringing chest to bar not chin. Keep up the regular progressive overload of weighted chins. WHen you can get chest to bar level, I'd start practicing with either a band under the knee or learn a kipping one first. You need to know when to get your body weight forward and the quick flick of the wrist. Remember to use false grip.

Neutral grip chinups are harder than supinated grip chinups but are MUCH nicer on elbows/shoulders for me.

I farkin love chinups and even as a heavy fella I can still crank out a set of easily 15 to 20. I haven't been doing as many lately but went through a phase of doing at least 50 on most days, some days 75 to 100.

I agree with ya here JZ, explosive pulls/chins are great, I do these fairly often to mix shit up, usually just touch the toes lightly at the bottom and explode up and get the chest as close to the bar as possible. Def agree about neutral grip, much kinder on the elbows but slightly harder when you first have a go.

Its def a movement you need to do often to get better at them, as in most days, and mix up the weight and rep ranges.

They are the best - I got more growth in my back from 6-10 months of making pullups/chinups the priority in my back workouts than in the previous 5-6 years of gym.

I have been stuck at 155kg -165kg (total weight) for a chin up for so long. It feels like I'm finally breaking the barrier now by doing only full ROM and adding several sets of rows after chins.

Unfortunately my shoulder is not thanking me today for the rows... External rotation is sort of painful.