• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sports drinks are virtually worthless - new study

Water

I you are worried about dehydration or not cunsuming the correct amount of fluid, weigh yourself before and after weight training, there is a liklehood if you are lighter you are not drinking enough.

if you electrolytes are low and your not a marathon runner re-check you program.

Ive read a lot on the net about these products. Why are these products pushed so hard if they dont help & actually have the potential to cause harm? This is a genuine question not trolling. Im new to all this & trying to find a good regeime as there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting advise depending on where you look. Must admit this site looks pretty good so far.

They are pushed hard cause they make money

Since these drinks also include glucose I guess they lower testosterone as well?

I would be shocked if anyone thought an energy drink helps during a 1 hour effort, thats ridiculous. I've bonked a few times during my running and cycling days but it was certainly way past the 1 hour mark. It was only ever straight water for me until about 3 hours.

playing ice hockey i find consuming sports drinks (isotonic, or powedered form hydration drinks) or BCCAA powder an hour before a game makes a big difference compared to just drinking water pre game. if drinking those drinks during game it doesnt work until games over, so for me drinking them 60min before game time then consuming water or watered down sports drink during game helps me heaps.

I would be shocked if anyone thought an energy drink helps during a 1 hour effort, thats ridiculous. I've bonked a few times during my running and cycling days but it was certainly way past the 1 hour mark. It was only ever straight water for me until about 3 hours.

:eek:

CONCLUSIONS:

Carbohydrate ingestion consumed by recreational exercisers during a 1-h, moderate-intensity aerobic workout did not alter mood or perceived exertion, nor did it affect subsequent anaerobic performance under the conditions of this study.

I'm still being partially nieve by not reading the full article just the blurb posted. but surely if they are performing aerobic workout they can't then test for anaerobic performance?

obviously these sort of drinks are mostly marketing but I would have thought there would have been a case for them in long duration aerobic performance..

Gatorade was bought by Pepsi = sugar in a bottle. Powerade owned by Coke = sugar in a bottle.

BCAA's are completely different. Most guys on here know this but it's surprising how many gym goers scoff this stuff thinking it's doing then good....

need to be doing at least an hour of fairly intense exercise for it to be of any use. Some people sweat more and therefore need to replace more fluids
-this is coming from my dietetics lecturer

Most of supplementary products for sport is a con. The benefits will be minscule when compared to common sense nutrition and drinking.

Large companies will go wherever a dollar can be made.

Results are not surprising and the title of this thread is misleading like a today tonight episode.

These drinks are generally thought to be of benefit in longer duration training sessions.