• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Where to compete / federation in Melbourne? 1st comp.

ShaunEm

Looking at competing soon, it will be my first comp. My current lifts are
Squat - 130kgs
Bench - 135 kgs ( I can bench more than I can squat, so sad but working in it)
Deadlift -185kgs - [ame=http://youtu.be/NBZ_kKb6JtA]180 x 2 @74kgs - YouTube[/ame] (180 x 2)

There is a meet in Hawthorn IPF I think, it's the "2013 Australian Raw Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships (Open, Sub-junior, Junior and Masters), Australian Blind Championships - Melbourne, VIC".
Could I compete in this event as a novice with these numbers?

Cheers:)

The Hawthorn meet in Feb is a Novice comp which will be good to compete in. With above comp you mention you will need to qualify first through one of the other novice comps first.

Speak to Markos and Max at PTC Frankston they hold GPC comps and this year the GPC Nationals are in Melbourne which you can compete in as well.

They also hold Monthly Novice comps which you can do without joining a Fed. Might be worth trying.

I would say, go watch a comp and introduce yourself. See which crowd you like?

If you can't be assed with knee wraps then PA might be for you?

Those lifts will achieve C grade in PA raw competiton. The new calendar is up on the powerlifting Australia website and there ate many opportunities to compete at novice level events if you are prepared to travel around a bit.

You will need to be a financial member of PA which also requires you to sign up to the drug testing policy. As a PA member you will be precluded from lifting at events held by other organisations.

As mentioned there are 2 main options in Vic;
PA
GPC

There are pro's and cons for both feds...
PA have testing, and 2(?) PL clubs around Melbourne.
Negatives - The comps are quite dull, and you will not be allowed to lift at any other novice meets except the ones they hold. Its also double the price.

GPC have great atmosphere at their comps, allow wraps opposed to sleeves in raw and you are allowed to compete in any comp Australia wide held by any organisation. GPC Nationals is also in Melbourne this year which you will be able to attend (~130-150 lifters).
Negatives - there is no testing.

Markos at PTC Frankston also hold loads of novice comps, so that could be a potential 11 comps for the remainder of the year, plus any that the bodyworld guys hold.
Im not sure how many PA comps are around Melbourne this year.

I am the vice president of GPC in Australia.

Last edited:
Negatives - The comps are quite dull, and you will not be allowed to lift at any other novice meets except the ones they hold. Its also double the price.

Dullness is in the eye of the beholder, but we do have extra technical rules to obey which include no music been played while lifting (presumably to make sure all judge calls are loud and clear) though this does not preclude music from being played between lifts and during walk-ons.

I recommend PA, we rock. :cool:

Will GPC be holding and meets that are 3 lift only without bench only?
I dont want to have to wait 3 hours between squats and deadlifts because 50 bench only fags rocked up

I mean if you want to do bench only or are injured fine... But pls stay out of full meets :(

Will GPC be holding and meets that are 3 lift only without bench only?
I dont want to have to wait 3 hours between squats and deadlifts because 50 bench only fags rocked up

I mean if you want to do bench only or are injured fine... But pls stay out of full meets :(

I like making you 3-lifters wait.

What are you talking about Oni lol?

What result sheet have you seen where that has ever happened?

Ben, I agree its in the eye of the beholder.
However, Ive been to a few PA comps now, and never heard any music and stuggle to stay awake with the "mc".

Anyway, its not a fed vs fed thread, its my opinion.
Thats why I made it clear to young Shaun who I was.

For PA in VIC there will be 4 novice comps in Melbourne and 2 regional (Merbein, near Mildura).

Victoria is also hosting raw nationals/pacific invitational, possibly equipped nationals (TBC) and the Australian Masters Games in Geelong.

While raw nationals has a qualification standard, its at the discretion of the meet director whether you can compete. Novices can often compete at these events without a qualification standard if there's space on the roster. I competed at the first raw nationals as a novice with no qualification standard. But comps in every fed are getting more and more participants every year so I can't guarantee anything.

Ben, I agree its in the eye of the beholder.
However, Ive been to a few PA comps now, and never heard any music and stuggle to stay awake with the "mc".

Anyway, its not a fed vs fed thread, its my opinion.
Thats why I made it clear to young Shaun who I was.

If all you've ever seen have been UQ comps then I think you might be seeing some changes with the new club comps.

is there much of a CAPO presence in VIC? I know they held the national deadlift comp at the docklands but will there be anything for 3 lift?

Those lifts will achieve C grade in PA raw competiton. The new calendar is up on the powerlifting Australia website and there ate many opportunities to compete at novice level events if you are prepared to travel around a bit.

You will need to be a financial member of PA which also requires you to sign up to the drug testing policy. As a PA member you will be precluded from lifting at events held by other organisations.

Actually I was looking at the wrong tables. You would make B grade in PA raw if you can repeat your gym lifts in competition form. If you put 10kg on each of your S & D, you will make A grade. A good belt and knee sleeves would do that.