• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Texas method

SWH

Just come off a cut of around 12kg looking to add some weight and get a whole lot of strength back that I feel i've lost in the process.

I've been using 5/3/1 programming and i'm looking to switch to something with higher volume and intensity on the big 3. Original starting strength could work well for me considering i'll be on a hefty caloric surplus although I was looking at texas method style training.

Just a few questions about it before I start, is it worth trying straight up for starters? have many tried it with good successs? does this require a heavy caloric surplus to work? I'm pretty curious it looks like something interesting although different to anything i've ever tried, just looking for opinions. For anybody who doesn't know i'm 17, been training for just over a year and my max totals right now are around 120sq, 70bench, 150dl if that makes any difference. Thanks :)

I've done it and loved it. Didn't stay on it too long as I have ADD when it comes to staying on programs.
A lot of powerlifting friends are doing the CUBE method and getting great results too. I am doing CUBE for strongman and been going great.

At your age, anything as long as you go hard at it should work.

The Texas Method definitely got my lifts up from where I got stuck before-hand when I did it, so I can't say it doesn't work. 5x5 is awfully time-consuming, though, and over 12 weeks I've gotten similar results from more time-efficient programs.

5x5 is one of the most flexible training regimes you can possibly choose

looks like i'm going to be doing texas for a while, have my spreadsheet now just downloading open office and i'll start next week :)

Just got a spreadsheet for juggernaut, looks good also but might go with texas for a while still i'm liking this program

Dogma kills conversation.

I have observed subjects who tend to respond better to lower repetition ranges have difficulty progressing beyond some range but are able to consistently perform within it with small resistance increases, while subjects who tend to respond better to higher repetition ranges have difficulty staying within a range with small resistance increases unless it is higher.