• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Insulin Resistant..need help

So I spoke to her this morning. She will have all tests done this week(inc thyroid). I spoke to her about Paleo and she seemed pretty keen. From what she says its fairly close to how she is at the moment, obviously with no controlling factors though. I'm getting her to keep a food diary for a week and will go from there.
Thanks to everyone for your input was a big help. @march83 @riddles @tomtomtom

Was it a matter of fine tuning the macros or types of food, did she try keto?

Working out that weights were better than cardio for her blood sugars was the main one!! Hard when she was a basketballer. Low to moderate exercise is better than high intensity.
She's always been good with counting carbs as a diabetic.
She's been on an insulin pump for 4 years now which has helped no end. Instead of 5 injections a day it's one every 3 days.

Working out that weights were better than cardio for her blood sugars was the main one!! Hard when she was a basketballer. Low to moderate exercise is better than high intensity.
She's always been good with counting carbs as a diabetic.
She's been on an insulin pump for 4 years now which has helped no end. Instead of 5 injections a day it's one every 3 days.

Thanks mate.

Thanks to everybody for your input.
With all the info and advice here she has currently lost about 4kg. She is still hesitant to hit the weights but getting there none the less.
Cheers

Also protein shakes have extra calories she probably doesn't need. Once my wife brushed them her blood glucose levels evened out during the day.

Also protein shakes have extra calories she probably doesn't need. Once my wife brushed them her blood glucose levels evened out during the day.

I had often wondered about protein shakes spiking insulin fairly high, especially in people with issues in that area.

My guess is she doesnt eat right. There is no point you giving her 3rd hand information as she wont have anything to do with it.

Pcos can be controlled with diet and exercise. But it takes a big commitment that most people dont have.

Insulin is a growth promoter yes, however it can goto lean mass or adipose tissues. It depends on her activity level and macro intake.

And it will take longer then 8 weeks and alot more then "boot camp"

There are some herbs and nutrients that have shown promise in literiture regarding pcos.

My guess is she doesnt eat right. There is no point you giving her 3rd hand information as she wont have anything to do with it.

Pcos can be controlled with diet and exercise. But it takes a big commitment that most people dont have.

Insulin is a growth promoter yes, however it can goto lean mass or adipose tissues. It depends on her activity level and macro intake.

And it will take longer then 8 weeks and alot more then "boot camp"

There are some herbs and nutrients that have shown promise in literiture regarding pcos.

Your right, she didn't eat properly. I had her track her macro's and I think she realized how much she was actually eating. I will look into the herbs/nutrients, thanks. Thoughts on insulinogenic effect of whey? I think she has 2 shakes a day. Given her condition does energy in v's energy out still over ride insulin effect.

In her condition it will. She will still low weight with low calories but her aim is to also control insulin sensitivity. Other protein sources such as meat still does result in an insulin response but liquid foods will produce a higher response compared to solid food of the same macros.

So if she can go for solid food over shakes it would be better.

I'm currently doing carb back loading, according to the author it has a lot of benefits for insulin resistant people.. Could look in to that mate.

No, carb backloading for this person would be no bueno.

While it may help for people who are a bit insulin resistant, it's not a good idea for people who are too far along the line of becoming diabetic or prediabetic. CBL works be purposely inducing a very large insulin dump after weight training and at a time in the day when you are naturally more sensitive to insulin. It's also not the best for more rapid weight loss which should be more the priority of this girl over muscle gain - but that doesn't mean she shouldn't hit the weights, because she should.