• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just how crap are bodyfat% scales

Riddles

So I'm wondering just how crap they are. I know they are not going to be as accurate as other (but much more expensive) methods such as DEXA.

I'm wanting to use it to keep an eye on any body comp changes over the longer term and if certain method are working or not working. Just looking at my belly tells me there is too much fat there so I can't justify regular DEXAs yet. But just eyeballing my belly isn't all that accurate either when looking at progress week to week.

The other reason I am leaning towards getting a quality set of scales is when competing in weight class events it's hopefully going to give an accurate indication of total mass so I don't fail any weigh-ins - something I get paranoid about.

So I'm leaning towards getting something like an entry level tanita. Would it actually be worth it?

No, any scale that has a different measument setting for normal and athlete spells out problems to me. Some of gym staff agree.

Get an ordinary scale set and go on waist measurement. If need be, get a Dexa scan.

Better off just using measurements & Dexa scans at 3-6 month intervals or even yearly if it's not a massive concern.

They are useless. One I used to use would usually say I was going up in bodyfat as I got leaner.

Get a dexa done, get bf measurements ie calipers done on same day as close as possible.

Use the dexa to calibrate the calipers fir lack if a better term

Get one or two monthly caliper readings done, knowing how "out" they are

Just concentrate on losing weight.... No need to track bf% at all for the moment...

If you get a dexa scan you'll be able identify a weight range to shoot for....

Ie - using my dexa I will likely be around 12% at 96kg... So all I need to do is track my weight loss to this point..

They are rubbish..

Do you need to know your exact bf% anyway?

I went through a stage of doing skinfolds, getting dexa done and all that rubbish, just go off the mirror, if you shot for an exact number, chances are you will get there and it probably won't be what u thought it'd look like..

Just my opinion

man, I reckon a pinch test is just as good as a dexa.

Scales are useless, I have a set and they are fking shithouse, saying I was 22% when I was lean as all hell.

just get half descent skin fold calipers.

My tanita scales shows closer bf to dexa then calipers.

7848447436_a43aea4324.jpg

I'm curious to know whether those with bad (or even good) results were using a crappy cheap set of four scales or one of the more expensive and we'll known such as the tanitas.

BIA is actually fairly accurate, the problem is hydration levels (due to the way it works). Simply drinking more water can make big changes to the result. If you have them and want to use them, you need to be consistent in the timing etc. Eg first thing in morning after bathroom visit.

Personally, I don't like anything other than DEXA. Skinfolds are too easily manipulated by the tester. You need a highly experienced tester and quality calipers (not the cheap plastic ones) to get great results, and I'm always wary of anyone in a position to 'sell' based on the results. Eg experienced dietitians in pro sport have done 1000s of tests and aren't gonna make a buck on the result. One VERY well know trainer in Oz with heaps of experience did my skinfolds not long ago. Result showed 6kg more lean mass than the DEXA.