• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Competing members?

Have you or will you compete in PL?

• No

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Maybe in 2013

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Yes - Sanctioned comp

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Yes - Novice comp (no fed)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

So I want to get a bit of a gauge on how many of our forum members have competed in powerlifting? Im sure there are quite a few.

If you havent competed, but train like a powerlifter, why havent you done a comp?

Do you have any questions related to powerlifting comps?
If you do, I wrote this for some of my lifters to read before their first comp, it might help you too;
http://ptcbrisbane.com/newsletters/79-issue-4.html

P.s, no warnings will be given if it turns into a fed bash.

Last edited:
I voted Yes - Sanctioned Comp, assuming the "will you" part of the question is being taken into account. I haven't competed yet, but I'm up to compete for the first time on 27 April at Iron Underground and am training for that meet.

I voted Yes - Sanctioned Comp, assuming the "will you" part of the question is being taken into account. I haven't competed yet, but I'm up to compete for the first time on 27 April at Iron Underground and am training for that meet.

.......... There is a not yet option

.......... There is a not yet option
You mean the "maybe in 2013" option? Well, what's done is done, I can't exactly unvote (as far as I'm aware).

Good write up on preparing for a lifter's first meet, btw. Basically confirms everything I had going in my mind.

Just a non sanctioned novice comp so far.

Planning to do GPC meets in March and whenever another is.

I had never intended to compete, i just like strength training. My coach talked me into going to a novice comp to test my maxes and now im hungry for more.

I would consider it if there was likely to be a (raw) comp within a million miles. Not that I really believe I have what it takes to win anything - started too late in life, with what's probably an unsuitable build/base/whatever.

Not that I care, when it comes to strength training - it doesn't put me off one bit, in fact. I train hard, and yeah, most of all for strength.

If there was a snowball's chance of competing in Strongman instead, that might be more likely for me, though again I doubt I'd be up for winning a damn thing. :p

The land of two heads is better than one, moite. :)

Don't think there's much by way of proper training around here either, lol.

Havent done any comps and probably won't ...
Reasons :

1 - When you are 110kg, getting to a competitive level is going to be pretty hard.
2 - I only really go to the gym to get stronger for my own sake and lose weight.
3 - I don't take anything seriously, why would this be any different?

Forget about the competitive level stuff.
You don't know what you are capable of and the best way to start moving forward is to throw down some goals and go for them. I think committing for a competition is probably the best motivation you can get.
The think about powerlifting is that the most important comparitor is yourself. Don't worry about others.
I started training in 1987. I had exactly the same attitude. I progressed some, but after a couple of years I just went through the motions. That was until 2004 when I decided it was time to see what I could do. I had no plans to win anything, I just wanted to see what I was capable of. Thats when the journey really started for me. Since then I have put hundreds of kilos on my total- probably just over 300.
Competing can fit in your goals. Other lifters get behind you and the PRs start falling.
Almost a decade later and I am still trying to figure out what I am capable of.

Make the step onto the platform. You won't regret it.

Forget about the competitive level stuff.
You don't know what you are capable of and the best way to start moving forward is to throw down some goals and go for them. I think committing for a competition is probably the best motivation you can get.
The think about powerlifting is that the most important comparitor is yourself. Don't worry about others.
I started training in 1987. I had exactly the same attitude. I progressed some, but after a couple of years I just went through the motions. That was until 2004 when I decided it was time to see what I could do. I had no plans to win anything, I just wanted to see what I was capable of. Thats when the journey really started for me. Since then I have put hundreds of kilos on my total- probably just over 300.
Competing can fit in your goals. Other lifters get behind you and the PRs start falling.
Almost a decade later and I am still trying to figure out what I am capable of.

Make the step onto the platform. You won't regret it.

Very well put :)