• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Competing members?

Have you or will you compete in PL?

• No

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Maybe in 2013

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Yes - Sanctioned comp

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Yes - Novice comp (no fed)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
I'll pull the trigger and enter one this year if anything is available here in shitty ol Adelaide.
If all goes to plan and the Mrs snags a job on the gold coast then I am sure there will be much to learn up that way and at least some comps to enter.

Forget about the competitive level stuff.
You don't know what you are capable of and the best way to start moving forward is to throw down some goals and go for them. I think committing for a competition is probably the best motivation you can get.
The think about powerlifting is that the most important comparitor is yourself. Don't worry about others.
I started training in 1987. I had exactly the same attitude. I progressed some, but after a couple of years I just went through the motions. That was until 2004 when I decided it was time to see what I could do. I had no plans to win anything, I just wanted to see what I was capable of. Thats when the journey really started for me. Since then I have put hundreds of kilos on my total- probably just over 300.
Competing can fit in your goals. Other lifters get behind you and the PRs start falling.
Almost a decade later and I am still trying to figure out what I am capable of.

Make the step onto the platform. You won't regret it.

This..

Ive come accross so many people that train but wont compete because they dont want to look bad because they didnt win.

Popping my cherry this weekend in a novice comp.

Would like to do a PA comp later in the year.

Hopefully it will give me something to benchmark my training and keep my total climbing, got no illusions of ever been a gun lifter just in it to try and give my training a bit more purpose.

Popping my cherry this weekend in a novice comp.

Would like to do a PA comp later in the year.

Hopefully it will give me something to benchmark my training and keep my total climbing, got no illusions of ever been a gun lifter just in it to try and give my training a bit more purpose.
Where are you doing the comp this weekend? I was actually thinking of doing one with PA in Brisbane this coming Sunday to break my waters, but after talking it over with Nick decided to hold off until later in the year, just because my strength took a massive dive after my last PB's and I injured myself since then, so I probably wouldn't have even lifted as much as is in my sig come this weekend.

Where are you doing the comp this weekend? I was actually thinking of doing one with PA in Brisbane this coming Sunday to break my waters, but after talking it over with Nick decided to hold off until later in the year, just because my strength took a massive dive after my last PB's and I injured myself since then, so I probably wouldn't have even lifted as much as is in my sig come this weekend.

I'm doing a comp at PTC Gold Coast. Just to get a feel for how it all goes down, should be a good day.

Shouldn't worry about your lifts too much, it's not like blokes like us are in it to win, just enjoy the experience and stoke the fires for your training.

I'm doing a comp at PTC Gold Coast. Just to get a feel for how it all goes down, should be a good day.

Shouldn't worry about your lifts too much, it's not like blokes like us are in it to win, just enjoy the experience and stoke the fires for your training.

Ill be reffing that one mate, make sure you say gday.

I'm not generally concerned about my numbers too much, in the sense of worrying that my lifts won't be impressive or anything. It's more a matter of showing up on competition day and going: "Okay, last time I did a 1RM squat was 140kg, let's see what I do today....130kg, oh. Poo." I think it'd just be a whole lot more fun and motivating to hit PB's in competition than to not even reach recent PB's.

Ill be reffing that one mate, make sure you say gday.

Cool, will do.

I'm not generally concerned about my numbers too much, in the sense of worrying that my lifts won't be impressive or anything. It's more a matter of showing up on competition day and going: "Okay, last time I did a 1RM squat was 140kg, let's see what I do today....130kg, oh. Poo." I think it'd just be a whole lot more fun and motivating to hit PB's in competition than to not even reach recent PB's.

Thats cool, I reckon just don't take it to seriously its just for shits and giggles. Gotta have a go otherwise you'll never know whether you enjoy it or not.

Last edited:
Training for strength but never actually competing is like thinking about sex but never actually having sex.

Only if you consider the point of getting stronger to be competing.... Being stronger has plenty of everyday benefits from gardening to carrying a pack to recreational cycling for example.

Barbells happen to be available and convenient for training, that doesn't mean everybody who trains with them is training to be specifically good at those barbell lifts.

(more of a fan of strongman myself tbh if there is any competition involved)

Otherwise its a bit like saying there is a no point running unless you intend to compete in a marathon, or no point gardening unless you want to enter a gardening comp......

Then again, I'm atypical for a kiwi/aussie male in not really being a sports fan of any kind :)

Only if you consider the point of getting stronger to be competing.... Being stronger has plenty of everyday benefits from gardening to carrying a pack to recreational cycling for example.

Barbells happen to be available and convenient for training, that doesn't mean everybody who trains with them is training to be specifically good at those barbell lifts.

Otherwise its a bit like saying there is a no point running unless you intend to compete in a marathon, or no point gardening unless you want to enter a gardening comp......

Then again, I'm atypical for a kiwi/aussie male in not really being a sports fan of any kind :)

I was actually joking, I agree there are plenty of reasons to get stronger without needing to compete.

I've gotta agree with this. I used to get singing lessons. Someone then told me that unless I'm going to be singing professionally, why bother? Umm...maybe because I want?

I'm looking forward to competing, would like to get my dead up to 200 and squat past 150 first though.

Cool, will do.

Thats cool, I reckon just don't take it to seriously its just for shits and giggles. Gotta have a go otherwise you'll never know whether you enjoy it or not.
When I was at TAFE, the gym had a competition every semester of: max bench, AMRAP pull ups, vertical jump, beep test, sit-n-reach, and max duration wall sit. I got a taste for competing in strength-based stuff from that, and found the bench press very exhilirating, even though I came second-last on it.

Competing is for losers, constantly talking about how strong you are but never actually competing is where it's at!

I voted no. I plan to compete one day but not likely in 2013.

I probably could fit in a comp but staying uninjured for one sport let alone two is hard enough at the moment.