• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Decent and up to date BB/training information

Alpha Moth

I've been on this forum for awhile, this subsection seems kind of dead. I was getting sick of the people who were constantly saying you MUST squat bench and deadlift and it must be 100/140/180 or you're wasting your time, which is completely nonsense. Especially from people like Oliver, who imo lifted decent, but looked shit. This is a BODYBUILDING forum, not a max fibre recruitment muscle stabilizing page.

In my opinion, these are some of the best current people putting out real science and decent information and exposing myths that seem to be tainting this part of the forum and many others.

It would be good if you guys can post up more resources like these.

Here are the people I currently follow:

Max Brenner from this forum
https://www.facebook.com/bodyevolution.australia?fref=ts

Lyle Mcdonald
Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition

Good Calories, Bad Calories: The Mythology of Obesity, or The Mythology of Gary Taubes? » Weightology

Myosynthesis

Ian McCarthy (even though he seems kind of arrogant at times, he puts out very good info and really tries to help people that interact with him)
https://www.facebook.com/nobullshitbodybuildingverified?ref=ts&fref=ts

Ice Cream Fitness (knows a lot about gear if you're so inclined)
https://www.facebook.com/IceCreamBodybuilding?fref=ts

Science of fitness
https://www.facebook.com/ScienceOfFitnessByAB?fref=ts

Sorry if this is a shit thread, but I would like to see this part of the forum putting out some real science and decent information.

I concur with this thread. Not to say that hitting 100/140/180 isn't a good milestone (I'm still after a 100kg BP and 180kg DL, I'll probably be squatting 150-160kg by the time that happens), but if you're into bodybuilding, train for bodybuilding (at least most of the time), not for a peak 1RM.

Other good resources, imo, are Alan Aragon and LeanGains.

1 or my favorites, sticks to old school nutrition, but I like his take on training.

Milos Sarcev

[YOUTUBE]LJBKpStI5rM[/YOUTUBE]

I concur with this thread. Not to say that hitting 100/140/180 isn't a good milestone (I'm still after a 100kg BP and 180kg DL, I'll probably be squatting 150-160kg by the time that happens), but if you're into bodybuilding, train for bodybuilding (at least most of the time), not for a peak 1RM.

Other good resources, imo, are Alan Aragon and LeanGains.

Exactly !! Squating 100 kgs 10 times is better than squating 150 for 1rm week in and out in terms of BODYBUILDING..to many guys trying to incorporate powerlifting In to bodybuding and be hardcore..bodybuilding is about sculpting your physic not being hardcore its about getting that pump and feeling the muscles work for reps not for 1rm. Allthough its good to incorporate strengh training and personal goals u don't need to get strong to be big. To many guys bench 2 3 plates and got small chests or curl 4O kgs and got small arms..it's about mind muscle connection and not overdoing compound movements..some might argue with that philosophy, but thats science of BODYBUILDING

I think even if bodybuilding is your primary goal hitting good numbers in the main lifts should be goals. I'm sure when I hit 150 on bench I'll no longer be able to complain about having a small chest. Even if I lost weight now I'd look above average with a 120 bench.

I read a lot of Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert and I like his philosophies. He's very wary of over training though, perhaps a little too much.

I've seen a few people on Layne's routines I might read up about them later.

I would recommend these 2 routines to natural bodybuilders.

Lyle Mcdonald 2xweek frequency upper/lower
http://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

Ice cream fitness 3 x week frequency fullbody
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vblgdz2RI-Y]How to set up a full body routine for optimal hypertrophy for an intermediate lifter - YouTube[/ame]
Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Press 5x5
Shrug 5x5
CGBP 3x8
Incline curl 3x8
Ab work

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Press 3x8
Incline curl 3x8
Skullcrusher 3x8
Ab work

Friday
Front Squat 5x10
Incline D Press 5x10
Barbell Row Or Pullup 5x10
Press or Seated Dumbbell press 5x10
Good Morning 3-5x10
Incline flyes 3x10
Side lateral raise 3x10
Face pull 3x10
Curl 3-5x10
BTH tricep extention 3x10
Ab work

I think even if bodybuilding is your primary goal hitting good numbers in the main lifts should be goals. I'm sure when I hit 150 on bench I'll no longer be able to complain about having a small chest. Even if I lost weight now I'd look above average with a 120 bench.

I read a lot of Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert and I like his philosophies. He's very wary of over training though, perhaps a little too much.

I've seen a few people on Layne's routines I might read up about them later.

Progressive overload and an energy surplus with appropriate macronutrient profile is key.

Unless your painting yourself orange and getting on stage your not 'bodybuilding' your only training with weights and watching what you eat.

Just sayin.

I would recommend these 2 routines to natural bodybuilders.

Lyle Mcdonald 2xweek frequency upper/lower
http://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

Ice cream fitness 3 x week frequency fullbody
How to set up a full body routine for optimal hypertrophy for an intermediate lifter - YouTube
Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Press 5x5
Shrug 5x5
CGBP 3x8
Incline curl 3x8
Ab work

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Press 3x8
Incline curl 3x8
Skullcrusher 3x8
Ab work

Friday
Front Squat 5x10
Incline D Press 5x10
Barbell Row Or Pullup 5x10
Press or Seated Dumbbell press 5x10
Good Morning 3-5x10
Incline flyes 3x10
Side lateral raise 3x10
Face pull 3x10
Curl 3-5x10
BTH tricep extention 3x10
Ab work

How long does it take you to do a session of that ? With no fucking around or talking?

First thing fluffy is right.

Second the 140/100/180 or what ever variation you want to come up is good for beginners. If you are trying to body build you can do what ever the fuck you want. If it works it works.

Where the numbers come in are when beginners complain they are gaining no muscle on the latest 7 day split program with 100 different isolation exercises for arms. Yet they cant do above 100kg for any of the main lifts. Well maybe lift some decent weight in the big lifts if you can't get the above numbers. They are not that hard.

If you are more advanced and are growing muscle do what ever the fuck you want but you can't say that lifting heavy weight doesn't grow muscle.

Last edited:
Unless your painting yourself orange and getting on stage your not 'bodybuilding' your only training with weights and watching what you eat.

Just sayin.

Call it what you want. This is just advice for the most efficient/optimal of achieving ones physique goals. Nothing more.

I will also add Gary Taubes is probably the worst place for diet information you can go. His diet information and misunderstanding of the research has been debunked over and over.

Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg

1 or my favorites, sticks to old school nutrition, but I like his take on training.

Milos Sarcev

[YOUTUBE]LJBKpStI5rM[/YOUTUBE]
I think he might have felt the burn doing this. I'm pretty sure that if I were to try and do the same session, I'd just be using my hands without any weight in them by about halfway through.