• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PA Level 1 Coaching Course + Workshop

How in depth is the skills training?
Depends on the group being trained, apparently. When I did the course, Chris Seville was saying how the focuses on the course vary based on what the students want to get out of it, as well on who's instructing the course.

When I did it, we spent about 2 hours each on squat, bench and deadlift after about a half hour discussion on different techniques for each. This was a time to work on our own technique, practice spotting from different positions, and practice coaching from different angles. Some of the lifters also played around squat suits, bench shirts, and we all tried out knee wraps, which was 60 seconds of my life that I enjoyed no more than 7%.

The main things that remained in my brain afterwards were the prac work and technique points, the programming taught (which was similar to Ed Coan's classic 12 week cycle), and a desire to never get drug tested -- not for fear of failing the drug test, but because there are few things I can think of that I want less than to have people watching me pee from multiple angles.

I think I'm better off spending the money and time off work on 1-1 coaching

Kaz what did you actually learn

Mostly technical stuff to do with form.
Had a group of 12 people picking at my form. Plus I saw a lot of different variations of the three major lifts, common faults and how to fix. Commands and prompts and giving feedback.
Programming was basic but I did pick up a few things from that.
Ped's and how to cheat testing

I think the guy who held my course didn't like me too much lol. He was a cop from Melbourne uni.

He was pretty good about GPC. He incorporated the technical differences in the lifts when delivering the course.
There were people there who weren't apart of a fed so was good info for them.

Mostly technical stuff to do with form.
Had a group of 12 people picking at my form. Plus I saw a lot of different variations of the three major lifts, common faults and how to fix. Commands and prompts and giving feedback.
Programming was basic but I did pick up a few things from that.
Ped's and how to cheat testing

I think the guy who held my course didn't like me too much lol. He was a cop from Melbourne uni.

They actually teach how to cheat a test?

They actually teach how to cheat a test?
That's not on the "official" curriculum ;)

Iron Underground are hosting the course up here in April...here's an expanded description of the content for anyone thinking of doing PA lvl1:

Fitness Australia Accredited - 14 CEC Points.

Australian Sports Commission recognized course
National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS).

14 Hours – Representation of certificate IV or equivalent (RPL).

Course duration – 14 hours.

Course content includes

Unit 1: The national coaching accreditation scheme
Unit 2: Roles and responsibilities of the coach
Unit 3: Physical conditioning of athletes
Unit 4: Skill learning & psychological conditioning
Unit 5: Technique of the squat
Unit 6: Technique of the bench press
Unit 7: Technique of the deadlift
Unit 8: Conditioning exercises for powerlifting
Unit 9: Organizing a powerlifting training program
Unit 10: Powerlifting competition skills
Unit 11: Anti-doping programmes in powerlifting

Learn

• how to become a successful coach
• how to effectively communicate verbally, via demonstration and via body language and how to adapt to age, ability, ethnicity and disability.
• how to evaluate for injury.
• improve understanding of structural anatomy and physiology relevant to strength training.
• the principles of strength training; progression, overload, specificity, variation, adaptation and reversibility
• the principles of optimizing performance in strength training via nutrition
• group management, stages of learning and psychological factors affecting performance.
• the most effective technique for squat, bench press and deadlift including equipment and safety.
• exercise selection and training program construction for optimizing an athletes physical preparation for competition.
• the skills required for competition day including making weight, specialized equipment and arousal regulation
• Australia’s anti-doping policies

Benefits to participants

• Obtain 14 CEC points in 14 hours by completing a course that is recognized by both Fitness Australia and the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme.
• Learn proven methods used by Australia’s leading powerlifting coaches for optimizing peak performance in your clients.
• Gain an in depth knowledge of the best technique and coaching methods for – Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift
• Receive a comprehensive resource and coaching manual including articles on training, nutrition and proven coaching methods.