• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Picking a bench opener when you're a novice

Zoot

load-bearing member
I've seen advice to novices on here about opening with a weight that you can triple.

But for bench, is that a weight that you can triple paused, or triple touch-and-go?

Triple paused. You don't touch and go in comp so take it out of the equation.

For novices the opener needs to be a lift they can do on their worst day. Its about getting numbers on the board.

I've seen advice to novices on here about opening with a weight that you can triple.

But for bench, is that a weight that you can triple paused, or triple touch-and-go?

Hey mate - can't go past El Freako's advice. As he says pick an opener that you absolutely know you could get on your absolutely worst day. From painful personal experience Never miss your opener!!!!

you don't have to be able to triple it, but something you could do on a bad day when feeling tired or sore. Also something you could do with a longer than normal pause.
The bar needs to be motionless on your chest, at the last comp I reffed at I got asked why I held a lifter for a while on the chest, but the bar was never stationary, if it stopped as soon as touched the chest he would have got the press call straight away

The easier your opener feels the more confidence you have for 2nd and 3rd attempts.

All the cool kids open on 5kg more than their best performance to intimidate everyone else

I read online that if you can 3 board you can touch in a meet
This raw comp is going to go awesome judging from that!