• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to cook meat?

Riddles

OK so I'm not that bad at cooking. But I'm planning my first ever trip to everyone's favourite theme park (Super Butcher) and I've realised my view of meat and cooking is quite limited.

First things first is I suck at cooking steak. It always ends up being burnt on the outside or tough all the way through. Any tips?

My previously experience in steak is pretty much limited to rump steak, probably because it's cheap. Can anyone give a guide on the different cuts and what are the best ways to use them and the tastiness of them?

I like steaks but they aren't great when reheated. I'm after some tips on some good meats to cook and either eat cold or are OK reheated for my lunches. Ideally I would do a bulk cook on a weekend to last me the rest of the week. Currently I only use chicken, bacon or red meat mince with various herbs and spices and the occasional stew during winter but I'm after some other ideas.

One thing with steak is dont flip in over n over again.. cook each side only once. and meat should always rest after cooking

One thing with steak is dont flip in over n over again.. cook each side only once. and meat should always rest after cooking

According to Heston Blumenthal.. thats a myth, the juices don't get 'sealed inside' and its better to turn more often for an even cook.

Mostly just don't have to pan/BBQ too hot, use a good surface/pan and don't overcook it - Kangaroo in particular benefits from being done no more than medium rare.

Kangaroo is also a good meat option, although steaks are hard to get right, so go for schnitzels, fantastic sliced up in a stir fry, much leaner than beef. (almost available in mince, patties and the like). Roast beef/lamb is a good option to have cold, and not too hard to cook if you've got a spare weekend afternoon.

Last edited:
If your buying wagyu of them make sure the pack has no pockets of air in it. I've had some pretty bad experiences from them with that. True flip it as often as you want but do rest the meat. Salt and pepper seasoning can't go wrong. I eat my steak blue so my cooking tips are worthless.

Cheaper steak cuts i season fairly heavily (sit in Worcester and Tabasco sauce mixed with cumin and oregano before frying). Almost all meat is better rare (that's real meat, not sausages and such).

Salmon is an easy option to mix things up a bit, Lamb chops can be another. I sit mine in a casserole dish with tomato soup, Worcester sauce and onions basically overnight in the fridge and then throw the casserole dish in the oven.

People over think cooking beef. Just season with pepper slap that fucker on the grill, when it starts 'bleeding' on top slihhtly flip it and then do the same on the other side. It wont be burnt and will be nice. No need to over think it / put heaps of salt on as it will dry it out a little or keep flipping it as theres no need.

I get wagu serlion, eye fillet, wagu rump - 1-1.25 inch thich, all from super butcher.

Put BBQ on high, get it to about 200*c.

turn hot plate side down to low

over the grill for 45sec, then move to the low side for 2min

flip over to hot grill side, 45 sec, move to low side.

Take off, rest for 3 mins.

Perfect rare-medium/rare steak with a good char-grill outside :)

I love steak.

Unless you got really good steak most times rump unless tenderized will be tough no matter how you cook it on the BBQ.

First thing take the steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temp for a couple hours before you cook it.

Oil and salt both sides.

Place on fairly hot BBQ.

I do 3 to 3 and a half minutes both sides( use a bit of trial and error to get it how you like it)

Take off BBQ, cover with foil rest for 4-5 min.

Winning.

I've got about 150kg beef in the freezer at the moment so getting some decent practice.

Also if you like beef look around for places that sell it in bulk. You can get great quality beef for cheaper than what mince is at the supermarket, just need a big freezer.

Last edited:
We own a weber Q
We use this nearly every night.

The thing I look for is for is a slight marbling as opposed to just lean and red.

Eye Fillet is the most tender, but lacks Flavour
Rib eye is the king of steak.
Porterhouse is tasty but more often than not tough.
Scotch fillet is a win/win.

I've nailed the cooking time in the weber, for an average size steak;
Full heat, I let it heat up first.
Use the skillet only and butter only, no salt prior to cooking
5 minutes one side 4 minute the other, only lifting the lid to turn the meat, otherwise covered at all times.

If you use a BBQ you turn the meat every 30 seconds but you seal both sides first, this method seals in the Flavour

Using butter instead of oil browns the meat nicely.

Last edited:
Goose something is not right if your porterhouse is more of then not tough. It shouldn't be. It's probably my favorite steak, only thing that beats it is if you can find tender rump steak.

I notice a lot of you mention cooking your steaks on the BBQ. I just use the stove top and a pan. Is there any benefit either way in terms of cooking? The stove top is definitely more convenient for me as we only have a really crappy old BBQ and it's harder to clean.

We own a weber Q
We use this nearly every night.

The thing I look for is for is a slight marbling as opposed to just lean and red.

Fillet is the most tender, but lacks Flavour
Rib eye is the king of steak.
Porterhouse is tasty but more often than not tough.
Scotch fillet is a win/win.

I've nailed the cooking time in the weber, for an average size steak;
Full heat, I let it heat up first.
Use the skillet only and butter only, no salt prior to cooking
5 minutes one side 4 minute the other, only lifting the lid to turn the meat, otherwise covered at all times.

If you use a BBQ you turn the meat every 30 seconds but you seal both sides first, this method seals in the Flavour

Using butter instead of oil browns the meat nicely.

LOL
Scotch fillet and rib eye is the same thing...

Been considering buying a weber Q for some time...