• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to cook meat?

LOL
Scotch fillet and rib eye is the same thing...

Been considering buying a weber Q for some time...

It's usually more exy with the bone, but roasting a thick slab of ribeye with the bone adds Flavour

The rib eye is usually a lot thicker and cooks differently.

I only cook my steak over Charcoal, All the gas BBQ is used for is heating up my heat beads and coal.

Also, as many still belive.... The red jucie in your meat is NOT blood. its myoglobin.

Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is also why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”; only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store.

Hmmmmm steak....

a7aqe2u6.jpg

y8ejejam.jpg

a6e5asyq.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

According to Heston Blumenthal.. thats a myth, the juices don't get 'sealed inside' and its better to turn more often for an even cook.

Mostly just don't have to pan/BBQ too hot, use a good surface/pan and don't overcook it - Kangaroo in particular benefits from being done no more than medium rare.

Kangaroo is also a good meat option, although steaks are hard to get right, so go for schnitzels, fantastic sliced up in a stir fry, much leaner than beef. (almost available in mince, patties and the like). Roast beef/lamb is a good option to have cold, and not too hard to cook if you've got a spare weekend afternoon.
While it's true that the juices don't get sealed in, the longer the meat stays on each side in one go, the further through it will cook. Back when I was doing hospitality at school, I experimented with different cooking methods, and found that for an inch-thick steak, I get it just about right (by my liking) if I put it on a flame grill that's been fully heated, turn it 90degrees at 1:30, flip at 3:00, turn 90 degrees at 4:30, and take it off at 6:00 then rest it for 5:00 (the 90 degree turns are just to get a fancy-pants criss-cross pattern). Meanwhile, if I kept flipping it frequently for 6 minutes, I got meat that was burned on the outside and literally raw on the inside.

Also, juices come to the top as the meat cooks through. The more flipping you do, the more juice gets spilled. Not so bad if you're cooking on a pan and will use the residue for sauce/gravy; bit of a waste if you're cooking on a BBQ since you can carry the juices that are still on top over to whatever dish you'll be resting the meat in.

Let the steak come to room temperature, season it with salt and pepper (some people swear by just salt, but whatever you prefer; I like to use "better" salt, but fuck knows if it really makes that much difference, lol), place it on a very hot grill or pan (just a bit of olive oil or another kind, like coconut, will do), let it be sealed and cooked that side as much as you like it, then turn it over with tongs, say, and repeat. Find out times for rare, etc., somewhere online, or from a book. Rare or medium rare is the only way to have steak, btw.

Then let it rest for a while - this is very important. You could wrap with foil, to help retain some heat, if you like. Speaking of foil, some prefer to just seal a big ol' steak in a pan, then wrap it up and put the pan (with steak still in it) in the oven for a while, to complete the cooking process there instead. Either way can work just fine.

It's pretty simple, once you get used to it. For crappier cuts, you can also marinate for several hours, or even overnight. Probably won't take as long to cook, then, just remember.

For "plain" steaks, serve with a bit of herb butter on top, or however you wish.

edit: Oh, and if you have something like a typical porterhouse, with that large strip of fat on one side? Make sure you also do that "side" or edge IOW (use tongs, is the easiest way) and render the fat (i.e., cook it).

Last edited:
what no chilli ?

rather than spoiling it with tomato sauce
I have a small serve of kimchi with it or marinate it in it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH7bEytedtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player]...this time We didn't forget the gravy - YouTube[/ame]

Love my meat with bones, T-bone , rib on the bone, awsome the bone adds heaps of flavour..

I think the best bet is to start with a quality piece of animal, the cut doesn't dictate the quality.

Just cut of its horns, wipe its arse, then throw it on a plate!

Raremeats.com.au stock the best rump ive had. Black angus grade 2 marble from cape grim, at only 12.50 a kilo. Soooooo goood.

Another favourite is half kilo rib eye "viking cutlets".

Best way to cook a 500gram steak. Salt generously 2 hours before and leave out. Kick on half the chargrill BBQ. Once hot throw the steak on the side thats turned off for about 25-30 minutes turning every 10 or so hood down. Once med rare chuck on the hot side and char the shit out of it. Rest for 10 min. Perfect.

I cooked kangaroo sausages on the BBQ at Healsville sanctuary, about 300m from the Roo's :) ... Struck me as sort of inappropriate.