• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Boxing Gloves

I've been thinking i'd like to punch the bags at the gym a bit for fun and fitness (I like to keep my cardio varied). Should i be getting the light 'bag gloves' with build in wrist wraps?, or should i be getting 'proper' gloves?... if so, do i need wrist wraps as well?, and will 'quick wraps' do?...

All new to me, but looks like fun....

I recommend traditional wraps, and some 10oz gloves or so. Don't have to be the best out there (i.e, expensive), but something not too crap would be a good idea.

Quick wraps just don't work the same, and although I've never tried the all-in-ones, I still wouldn't recommend them, if you intend on actually hitting the bags with much force.

Depends how much protection and what type of workout you want.

10oz is lighter so will lead to quicker punches
16oz is heavier so slightly slower punches although more protection. Although u shouldn't hurt yourself with either if u use wraps.

Always use proper wraps. Don't try to be Brad Pitt in Snatch. You'll hurt yourself

12 oz why? You want wraps and Bag gloves, especially for a beginner

I use the sting quick wraps with 12 ounce gloves at training for sparring/pad work and bag work, quick wraps are good they are easy to put on and they help to keep majority of the sweat out of your gloves,

I'm not much of a puncher, but i'm a big guy... would that influence the glove weight choice? will heavier gloves give me a better workout? or am i better to punch faster?

The normal wraps look like they take a long time to put on?....
It sounds like the wraps are more important than the gloves themselves?

Don't worry about gloves impeding your speed of punching, you're only hitting a bag not fighting.
You want bag gloves not 12oz or 16oz sparring gloves. Bag gloves have a thicker hide for the bag and give a bit more support. But wraps first!

Fuck 12oz for bag work if your boxing get 14 or 16oz gloves, if your doing kickboxing they seem to spar in 12oz gloves which stings when you get tagged and fucking hurts your hands when your doing bagwork.

I'd get 16oz sparring gloves. Sooner or later ur mates are gonna come over and want to spar...so u can kick their ass.

mate i didnt read what others posted.

if i were you id get 12OZ gloves, some good quality wraps and also a light pair of bag mits. now the bag mits are always good to give the bag a good hammering either pre 12OZ or post 12OZ especially for a beginner.

i find beginners will find it hard with the heavy gloves, but will get used to them and move faster. then once i pull the 12OZ off and let them rip into the bag with the bag mits they cant beleive the speed and power they developed.

good luck, train hard